LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
It seems that the Galicia sets sail from Santander now at 14:00 hrs. Which in reality means being at the port no later than 12:00hrs.

So as to be cautious in case anything happens en route this really now means 2 overnights on way back from Benicàssim. It’s about 450 miles in total.
Looking at leaving tomorrow ( a day earlier than originally planned) and travelling to the site at Zaragoza (we used on way from ferry last month) for an overnight.
Then travel from Zaragoza on Tuesday to Santander for overnight. Then tottle into the ferry port on Wednesday morning.

Any recommendations for a site or aire with toilets around Santander please ?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I stayed here last year, (in a tent), a nice site with good facilities there were a few Brits staying for the ferry next day, about 15mins away..

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
I stayed here last year, (in a tent), a nice site with good facilities there were a few Brits staying for the ferry next day, about 15mins away..
Thanks Les

Had spotted this site but it’s good to get a recommendation from someone who has stayed on it. 👍👍

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I appreciate the OP's 'Belts and Braces' approach because the Chief Fairy has it 'Hard Wired'
into her brain.

However, when we tugged, (the caravan, saucy) we would travel from La Rouletta campsite
on the French/Spanish border to Benecassim in the day, in Winter, just after 8am.
We would arrive at about 4.30pm.

If you are in a motorhome I would suggest that the journey would be quicker than a car, tugging.

I'm not for one minute putting yourself under pressure but one overnight stop should be more
than sufficient.

Sure, there might? be an incident en route but unless you are parked against the chain link fence
at the Port overnight, that could happen under a two stop stategy.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
In November we stayed the night at the Elephant Park, it didn't have toilets, however the next morning we used the motorhome service point at the Repsol Station on the CA142 into Santander to empty the cassette, dump the grey, then filled up with diesel and exchanged a Propano cylinder. They gave us a free baguette for our troubles(y)

55 Bo. la Cascajera

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Hey graham , we're in benicassim for a few more days yet but looking at sites for the way back to the tunnel (cant get a pet cabin for the dog :cry: so gotta drive).
Where in zaragoza are you looking to stop?

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Hey graham , we're in benicassim for a few more days yet but looking at sites for the way back to the tunnel (cant get a pet cabin for the dog :cry: so gotta drive).
It’s the municipal site

Camping Ciudad de Zaragoza

We stayed overnight there on the way down last month.

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Thinking of driving next year to gauge to difference etc.

What route are you taking and how long from Calais ?

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
I appreciate the OP's 'Belts and Braces' approach because the Chief Fairy has it 'Hard Wired'
into her brain.

However, when we tugged, (the caravan, saucy) we would travel from La Rouletta campsite
on the French/Spanish border to Benecassim in the day, in Winter, just after 8am.
We would arrive at about 4.30pm.

If you are in a motorhome I would suggest that the journey would be quicker than a car, tugging.

I'm not for one minute putting yourself under pressure but one overnight stop should be more
than sufficient.

Sure, there might? be an incident en route but unless you are parked against the chain link fence
at the Port overnight, that could happen under a two stop stategy.
Can’t deny your logic 👍👍

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
We took about 5 days to drive through from calais (mostly motorway).
Hated the drive and france is too cold and closed for me to ever do that again.
I reckon having totted things up its pretty much the same money as getting the boat straight in .

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Safe journey mate back Graham, hoping the weather is kind to you.
which route are you taking and whats the roads like ?

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Safe journey mate back Graham, hoping the weather is kind to you.
which route are you taking and whats the roads like ?
Thanks mate.

Just got a text of Brittany Ferries. They are delaying tomorrows sailing until Thursday now.

Will get back into Portsmouth on Friday at 17:30 now.

So get an extra day in Spain 👍👍👍👍
Waestjerndorxast for Santander is rain though 😓😓

Looks like will be trying that bistro gpat 👍👍

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Thanks mate.

Just got a text of Brittany Ferries. They are delaying tomorrows sailing until Thursday now.

Will get back into Portsmouth on Friday at 17:30 now.

So get an extra day in Spain 👍👍👍👍
Waestjerndorxast for Santander is rain though 😓😓

Looks like will be trying that bistro gpat 👍👍
Here's a link

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Its rain, rain and rain back home so i keep hearing :rolleyes: .....sooo an extra day in spanish rain will help acclimatise you 😁
Zaragoza tonight then? Which way did you go?

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Its rain, rain and rain back home so i keep hearing :rolleyes: .....sooo an extra day in spanish rain will help acclimatise you 😁
Zaragoza tonight then? Which way did you go?
With yesterday being such a lovely day we decided to stay at Bonterra instead of Les img a day early. So today was an early start to drive the 470 miles to the site at santander.

Only found out about the ferry a while back and was past Zaragoza by then. About 70 Kim’s from Bilbao at the minute. Should be at santander by 17:30 🙏🙏

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Thinking of driving next year to gauge to difference etc.

What route are you taking and how long from Calais ?
We literally have just done this as we were due to sail back on the Galicia on the 8 Jan but with 2 hours from the port we get a text to say boat delayed by 24 hours so we then drove up through France. For us the cost is a lot more than the cost of the Boat as we filled up 3 times (usually with about a quarter left till empty) each time was approx £125 - £135 as diesel is very expensive in France at over 2 euros a litre. The ferry from Calais was £241 which was the cheapest i could get as the Tunnel wanted £467 so with the cost of fuel and the yet to be counted Tolls (there were a lot) we are way over what it costs us to take the Santander Route. It was just a shame it was delayed as it could have been a relaxed crossing rather than a frantic dash up through France (i needed to get back for work so couldn't stay longer). We were also towing a trailer which just added to the adhoc costs :(, time wise it took 11 hours approx of driving to cover the 600+ miles from the South of Bordeaux to Calais only stopping for fuel and toilet breaks. We drove approx 9 hours the day before from Cartagena to the South of Bordeaux, once we got to Calais it was 1hour 40mins on the ferry then for us another 2hours and 20mins to get home.

Last edited:

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
470 miles is abit of a treck for one day .
I get a square backside after about 4hrs.
Reckon we saw you leave smorn while we were out with the dog by mercado about 8.
Well at least youve about cracked it now (y).
I'm not looking forward to the long treck back through france (n)

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Would have suggested the Aire at Bilbao, but probaby too late now. Good facilities there. Two sets of grey/black dumps (actually 4 black), water/electric on pitches. Toilets (but no shower). Fresh bread, bus to/from town - see previous post.

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
470 miles is abit of a treck for one day .
I get a square backside after about 4hrs.
Reckon we saw you leave smorn while we were out with the dog by mercado about 8.
Well at least youve about cracked it now (y).
I'm not looking forward to the long treck back through france (n)
Sat all tucked up on site now with beer I. Hand mate. 2 nights now

Yep we left around 8:20 this morning.

It’s a good drive. Roads make it easier but as you say stills long day st the wheel.

Not sure I would want to do 4 consecutive days of 350-400 miles though. It’s about 1450 miles from my home to Benicàssim to drive. Obviously various depending on route.

By the way peeps it may be that the tolls increased at the start of the year as both ones for the AP68 were higher today. But by sod all in reality.

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
We stayed at camping Altimera about 25 minutes from the port. Nice quiet site, access ok, small bar and restaurant, good facilities. There are some eating places about 15 minutes away.
we could have cut out this 1 night but didn’t want the added risk or pressure driving a longer distance, Sod’s law says there will be a problem on the road, accidents roadworks etc.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It seems that the Galicia sets sail from Santander now at 14:00 hrs. Which in reality means being at the port no later than 12:00hrs.

So as to be cautious in case anything happens en route this really now means 2 overnights on way back from Benicàssim. It’s about 450 miles in total.
Looking at leaving tomorrow ( a day earlier than originally planned) and travelling to the site at Zaragoza (we used on way from ferry last month) for an overnight.
Then travel from Zaragoza on Tuesday to Santander for overnight. Then tottle into the ferry port on Wednesday morning.

Any recommendations for a site or aire with toilets around Santander please ?
Did that run in Oct b
Sat all tucked up on site now with beer I. Hand mate. 2 nights now

Yep we left around 8:20 this morning.

It’s a good drive. Roads make it easier but as you say stills long day st the wheel.

Not sure I would want to do 4 consecutive days of 350-400 miles though. It’s about 1450 miles from my home to Benicàssim to drive. Obviously various depending on route.

By the way peeps it may be that the tolls increased at the start of the year as both ones for the AP68 were higher today. But by sod all in reality.
Now you know what truckers do day in day out..Mind you it's not so bad when your being paid,,😄😄 BUSBY.

OP
OP
BikerGraham

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Did that run in Oct b

Now you know what truckers do day in day out..Mind you it's not so bad when your being paid,,😄😄 BUSBY.
Had a few mates over the years who drove HGV’s for a living so yep. Each to their own though. Whilst I’ve always enjoyed driving as I get older it is becoming less and less.

Think might just be ferry again next time 😜😜

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just had the bill in for the Tolls for the France leg ie Biratou to Calais and its £125, that was the fastest satnav route to get back to Calais :( roll on retirement when there is no need to be anywhere in a hurry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back