Sanity check on pre purchase thoughts.. (1 Viewer)

Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
I've been doing my research and think we're nearly ready to start actually looking with a view to buy in the next 6 months (maybe when this rush on MHs has died down and baby no.2 has settled in a bit), if anyone is able to give me a quick sanity check on the following reasoning and maybe answer a couple of questions I'd be much obliged!

We are a young family of soon to be 4 (two under 2, eek) so want good carrying capacity to grow into. I've summarised that this means:

• 7-7.5m Coachbuilt with dinnette & a dropdown (or luton) and either rear lounge or single rear beds
  • C1 licenses for the drivers to get a decent payload, especially as we have ebikes either going in a garage or on the back and other kit like inflatible kayaks
    • Avoid anything on an Al-Ko light chassis, as this wont go beyond 2000kg rear axle load without an expensive air suspension upgrade
    • Fiat light is OK, but will probably need to be on 16" wheels and may need air suspension upgrade, avoid if long overhang (which 7.4m vans are?)
    • Fiat heavy (Maxi) or Al-ko Maxi likely fine with no modification, infact is the preferable choice for any 7.4m MH?
    • 3700kg as an option indicates it's probably a light chassis, where 3850kg option indicates a maxi chassis is likely?
  • Avoid the numerous Auto-Trails at appealing prices if they are 6XX models (damp, quality issues, light chassis) .. 7XX models likely OK though?
  • Bailey Autograph also out as they are TUBBY at 2.4m wide (we like scenic places with narrow roads)
Still not really sure on what brands we're looking for, but I can work through that. Any suggestions welcome though.

Reading the wonderful ebook buyers guide in the resources section it talks about establishing what the MH is actually worth before entering into negotiations.. what are the best tactics for this as a newbie? Ebay is not really helpful with most being under classifieds.

When looking at a dealers window price, take 10-15% off that?

e.g. to my untrained eye something like this looks suitable and well priced (after confirming chassis details are suitable and negotiating down some), although perhaps it's an ex hire as the mileage is fairly high for 2 year old MH?

<Broken link removed>

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We currently have a Laika, which we love. It's an A Class, have you looked at the A Class motorhomes? We moved on to an A Class after the coach built Pilote we had gave us terrible problems with the electric drop down bed. The A Class bed we have in the Laika is one that you just pull down, which means very little can go wrong.

We've also had a Swift, which we were very disappointed with, due to quality issues. We had to make up the double bed every night, as it was in the lounge. This turned into a real pain. The other thing to consider is that sofa cushions aren't as comfortable as a mattress.

I wouldn't consider a motorhome with a rear lounge. I think it's a waste of space and involves making up beds every evening. When we go abroad, we sit outside and when we camp in the UK we take our blow up awning to give us more space. This works really well for us.

A motorhome with a pull down double bed and twin bunks in the back, would appeal to me with two small children.

We've just ordered a Carthago, not because we don't like the Laika, but because we want something lighter due to the C1 restrictions. We are both approaching 70, which means having a medical and we don't want to go there.

Carthago motorhomes are superb and very well built. The continental motorhomes are definitely superior to any motorhome built in the UK, IMHO.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
7-7.5m Coachbuilt with dinnette & a dropdown (or luton) and either rear lounge or single rear beds

For kids, you can't beat fixed bunk beds. It gives them somewhere to retreat to and doesn't need to be made up every single time (and can also provide loads of useful storage when not needed). In the evening, you can put them to bed whilst still using the lounge.

Unfortunately, you can only really use the top bunk once the oldest is six. Until then, you can probably get them to share the bottom bunk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
There are also twin single beds, which can be used for small children.

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
There are also twin single beds, which can be used for small children.

Gives you the garage too (somewhere to put the car seats!)

A slight digression (and not that I would ever discourage buying a Carthago!) but I just had a C1 medical. It was very perfunctory. I got the impression you’d have to actually have one foot in the grave to fail! Height and weight (I asked about minimum heights, and there isn’t one. They’re not allowed to discriminate on weight, either, so neither of us knows what the point of that is!) list of ‘have you ever had a fit, heart attack or fallen asleep at the wheel’ type questions, meds review and a diabetes urine test. Took about ten minutes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
Some great advice here, especially the 2006 thing, I hadn't known about that. Makes some sense out of the large price jump I was seeing on some vehciles that age.

Also thanks Wellington, that was a hugely useful reply and even made us consider a caravan for 15 minutes.. right back to MHs now though! Just will have to do the preperation and make sure we can hit shops on the electric cargo bike nearby. The car seats will be really annoying I can see it now. Foot of the beds sounds good.

I will ceratinly keep an eye out for Carthago and Laikas within budget also.

Looks like it's twin beds & garage as a preference but would go for a big double & garage and split it up with cushions perhaps.. who knows what our kids will be like in 3 weeks let alone 3 years :LOL:

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
We have a transverse double over a garage, and my daughter slept widthways (ie lengthways in the van) along it last year. She was 9, so you've probably got a good few years out of it, and you could easily net or gate it so they don't fall out and can use it as a big play space in the day, if need be. Mind you, you could with singles as well (they make up into a massive double) and you get the two wardrobes underneath. You might even get the car seats in them. Also, toddlers could probably manage the steps between singles but not climb up on the double for a good few years.

I wouldn't go back to towing myself, as I hated it, so I understand the appeal. I do think there's a reason why (generally) retirees motorhome and families caravan though!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
Are A classes common with single twin beds?

Im mostly finding tranvserse doubles in my searches vans over 6 years old.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Are A classes common with single twin beds?

Im mostly finding tranvserse doubles in my searches vans over 6 years old.

Plenty, in fact when I have been ooking I think I have had to reject more because of having single beds than I can find with doubles.

It may depend on whether you are including a large garage in your search, or not. Doubles normally have a step-up so can be higher, but singles do not so are lower, restricting garage height.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

Zamzoo

Free Member
Jun 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Soon to acquire..
Exp
Since 2015
Ok that’s encouraging. Perhaps I’m getting my search terms slightly wrong.

Is the twin single beds up steps over a garage called fixed twin bed layout?

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
From your requirements list have you looked at the budget Hymers, a Corado, I know CamperUK did use them as hire family vans & sold them at reduced rates whilst still fairly new. The Txxx model with the large garage fixed rear singles above garage front drop down double & dinette with travel seats might just be up your street but I’m not sure on the payload

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
From your requirements list have you looked at the budget Hymers, a Corado, I know CamperUK did use them as hire family vans & sold them at reduced rates whilst still fairly new. The Txxx model with the large garage fixed rear singles above garage front drop down double & dinette with travel seats might just be up your street but I’m not sure on the payload
It's an old post and the posters not been on for ages. I suspect they've either bought one or given up!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back