Motorhome Purchase - Sales and Admin fees (1 Viewer)

Patrick and Lesley

Free Member
Nov 2, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 1995 B544
Exp
1 year
When a dealership advertises + sales and admin fees along side the marked price of a Motorhome does it usually bump up the price significantly?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This type of thing should be banned. Along with airlines advertising one price then adding taxes and other fees.

Anyone selling to the public should set the sticker price to what the public will have to pay to get the product or service. It is an underhanded tactic to artificially lower the sticker price and get you to talk to them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Patrick and Lesley

Patrick and Lesley

Free Member
Nov 2, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 1995 B544
Exp
1 year
Interesting. As I’m new to dealships I wasn’t sure if it was normal or not. Anyway, I’ve emailed them and asked for an example of sales and admin fees. Let’s see if they bother to reply. Thanks all for the replies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting. As I’m new to dealships I wasn’t sure if it was normal or not. Anyway, I’ve emailed them and asked for an example of sales and admin fees. Let’s see if they bother to reply. Thanks all for the replies.
I would email them and tell them you won't buy until the sticker price actually reflects the full sale price before discounts so you can do direct comparisons with their competitors.
If they don't you won't buy from them on principle of hidden and unclear charges.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why would anyone do that?

Yes, they can charge whatever they like and call it "fees" if they want to but why on earth advertise the fact?

Just add it into the ticket price and nobody would be any the wiser.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I looked at a car recently and there was a £99 admin fee involved ??
There is a large car dealership almost across the road from where i live, I know they charge an admin fee ??
No idea what it's all about but just buying a car from Arnold clark, no fee's there (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just a thought.

Could this perhaps be a vehicle they're selling on behalf of someone else and the sticker price is what the actual seller wants for it?

In that situation the dealership would obviously charge a commission or fee.

If that is the case then it might be that their fee is a set figure that will be added to whatever price is eventually agreed with the seller.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Imagine being charged extra when you reach the checkout at Tesco ?

You'll be familiar with motorcycle parts suppliers continually quoting prices and then adding vat! They dealing almost exclusively with the general public. It makes me spit.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You'll be familiar with motorcycle parts suppliers continually quoting prices and then adding vat! They dealing almost exclusively with the general public. It makes me spit.
I thought retail sales you had to include VAT in the price but trade sales can be ex VAT.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought retail sales you had to include VAT in the price but trade sales can be ex VAT.

You can choose to include VAT in the quoted price or not as you see fit.

Anyone who sells to both trade (i.e. VAT registered) and retail customers will usually show ex VAT prices on everything just for simplicity. It makes no sense whatsoever to run separate systems.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Just a thought.

Could this perhaps be a vehicle they're selling on behalf of someone else and the sticker price is what the actual seller wants for it?

In that situation the dealership would obviously charge a commission or fee.

If that is the case then it might be that their fee is a set figure that will be added to whatever price is eventually agreed with the seller.

I suspect you may be right Nick, but of course that is neither the buyers concern or business. As all have said, the price should be the price. Not sure if it would do any good, but I wonder what Trading Standards would think of it. o_O

When buying vehicles of any type, I walk into the dealership and up to the salesman and say to him "bearing in mind you will have one go at this, what is your best price ? "
Its funny sometimes to see there reaction when you turn to walk out. Sometimes I have to explain what "one go" means. o_O Miserable old SuperMike. :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I suspect you may be right Nick, but of course that is neither the buyers concern or business. As all have said, the price should be the price. Not sure if it would do any good, but I wonder what Trading Standards would think of it. o_O

When buying vehicles of any type, I walk into the dealership and up to the salesman and say to him "bearing in mind you will have one go at this, what is your best price ? "
Its funny sometimes to see there reaction when you turn to walk out. Sometimes I have to explain what "one go" means. o_O Miserable old SuperMike. :)

Trading Standards wouldn't give a monkeys. There's nothing hidden, the dealer has every right to charge whatever they like and break it down in any way they like. If they chose to then they could have "compulsory donation to the tea fund" as a listed charge.

If you don't like it don't buy from them.

Most traders don't bother breaking the ticket price down because it avoids discussions like this. I'm sure pretty much every single one of them has similar things built into their price but choose not to advertise the fact.

I don't sell vehicles but if anyone ever asks me what my best price is on something or for any other kind of discount I invite them to take their business elsewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Patrick and Lesley

Patrick and Lesley

Free Member
Nov 2, 2010
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 1995 B544
Exp
1 year
Trading Standards wouldn't give a monkeys. There's nothing hidden, the dealer has every right to charge whatever they like and break it down in any way they like. If they chose to then they could have "compulsory donation to the tea fund" as a listed charge.

If you don't like it don't buy from them.

Most traders don't bother breaking the ticket price down because it avoids discussions like this. I'm sure pretty much every single one of them has similar things built into their price but choose not to advertise the fact.

I don't sell vehicles but if anyone ever asks me what my best price is on something or for any other kind of discount I invite them to take their business elsewhere.

I would rather just see the full asking price advertised. I don’t care how they arrive at that price.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can choose to include VAT in the quoted price or not as you see fit.

Anyone who sells to both trade (i.e. VAT registered) and retail customers will usually show ex VAT prices on everything just for simplicity. It makes no sense whatsoever to run separate systems.
Yes but if the prices are only for the general public they have to include VAT, that is what our government says.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.

I specifically stated vehicles. So you have never haggled when buying anything, interesting. Further, if as the provider, you spoke to me in the tone of your post in this thread, then you would not need to invite me to do anything, as I would have already taken my business elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
This time of year, motorhome sales are slow, you should be able to negotiate a decent discount. Not pay an admin fee. I would look elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When a dealership advertises + sales and admin fees along side the marked price of a Motorhome does it usually bump up the price significantly?
Who is the dealer?

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That reminded me of when my fiancée and I were buying a washing machine for our first house (1970). A plug wasn't already moulded on to the mains lead in those days and the salesman added 2/6d for the 13 Amp plug to go with it.

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Some car sales adopt same approach and I would not deal with someone like that on principle.

Just seems devious to me, not heard of it on motorhomes before though.

I knew someone who would offer customers “A free year warranty”

Sounded incredibly like “three year warranty”

Seems like a dodgy practice, I prefer when people are up front so would avoid.

Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What rattles my cage is car dealers charging a delivery charge, sometimes hundreds of pounds on a car your buying. That's like Asda etc charging delivery on your tin of peas, wtf?
Service areas charging say twenty pence a litre higher than anywhere else, that's a pound a gallon over the top when the effing tanker is passing the place to get to his next drop!

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
You need to be aware that if you are buying something on a finance agreement (many motorhomes are) that there will almost certainly be an "admin fee" which is the "fee" charged by the relevant finance company for the documentation on top of the monthly payments.(it is normally charged with the first months payment) There is no "set" fee and it is also possible for the finance company to waive the fee. (on some agreements I have seen it as high as £250.00!!) This can make a significant difference to the overall "cost of borrowing" The other fee, which is a legal requirement, is something called "the option to purchase fee". This is paid at the same time as the final payment on an HP agreement, It legally passes title from the finance company to the customer. I believe that there is no set fee as long as something is paid (minimum £1.00). Buyer beware, this can be extremely high. £50, £75, £150 etc!! (whatever they feel they can get away with!!) My advice is ask what those fees are up front if buying on finance and be prepared to walk if you do not want to pay them.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back