Safeguard / Allianz complaint and compensation (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We complained about Allianz leaving us at the side of the road when we had a prang in Sicily lately. They kept promising to send road repair service but no one came. In the end we cobbled up the damage (hanging off back bumper) with duct tape and limped to a local campsite where the owner knew a mate who knew a guy who fixed it for us cheap so we never made a claim in the end.
Anyway I did complain on our return and they listened to the tapes and agreed we had a grievance and compensated us £100 which we were happy about.
They said it wasn't down to them (that their call operator had been wrongly to say help was coming) but it was down to Safeguard to arrange the pick up but surely that's wrong? (They just sell the insurance don't they?) Safeguard says it's not them.
While I was happy with the £100 I still need to know who will actually follow through if there is a next time. Does anyone know?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Safeguard's website and some other sources suggest that the breakdown/recovery service is provided by them separately from the actual insurance policy.

It appears that they use the AA to provide the service.

Allianz, or any other underwriter they use, don't have anything to do with it.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
How strange
Why is Safeguard denying that it's their responsibility?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No idea.

Check your paperwork, there isn't a specific dedicated number to call for breakdown/recovery is there? If it's the AA providing the service it may be that you have to call them direct.

I guess another possibility could be that because it's accident damage it's somehow excluded from the breakdown/recovery cover.

Either way Safeguard should be able to tell you.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Surely accident damage is exactly why people want road recovery. What in earth are we paying for otherwise?
There was a specific number which we used and were told to deal with allianz.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Surely accident damage is exactly why people want road recovery. What in earth are we paying for otherwise?
There was a specific number which we used and were told to deal with allianz.

I would say breakdown recovery is really for if you have a mechanical breakdown rather than have an accident

It's only a guess about the cover potentially not applying in the event of an accident. The situation can sometimes be very different, depending on the damage and whether there's another party involved. There could be a dispute over fault and so also over who pays, the insurance company may want to assess the vehicle before any repairs can take place. In some places, the autoroutes in France for example, only one approved recovery company is permitted to attend.

None of that excuses the fact that you were given bad information by at least one organisation but there lots of reasons why a standard breakdown/recovery policy might not apply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back