Sadly going to sell our fab family motorhome (1 Viewer)

rosemaryd

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all. Well, after lots of umming and ahhring, we've decided very sadly to sell our motorhome. We've had lots of family fun in her and don't really want to but last year we were so busy with other family commitments that we didn't get to use her very much and this year looks like it will be the same. Whilst we are really sad to see her go, it seems silly to have her sitting there unused.

So, I realise I may not be in the right bit of the forum for this sort of advice but anyone got any advice on where/how to sell. We thought we'd try to sell privately but am slightly worried about how we get paid securely.

Is it best to go to a dealer to see if they are interested? Any advice welcome!

Thanks Rosemary

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If you sell privately insist on cash on collection!!!!!!

never ever do this.

Cash on collection is a bad idea with high end purchases. You may well end up with a load of forged notes and be a target for a robbery. Transactions these days should be by bank transfer. You should see money in your account pretty much instantaneously over the internet. Get the person to do it prior to the collection and ensure it's not reversible (speak to the bank).

I recently read a story of someone taking 4k cash for a car, seller insisted on doing it early evening. House was robbed that night, 4k cash stolen, coincidence? not likely.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
never ever do this.

Cash on collection is a bad idea with high end purchases. You may well end up with a load of forged notes and be a target for a robbery. Transactions these days should be by bank transfer. You should see money in your account pretty much instantaneously over the internet. Get the person to do it prior to the collection and ensure it's not reversible (speak to the bank).

I recently read a story of someone taking 4k cash for a car, seller insisted on doing it early evening. House was robbed that night, 4k cash stolen, coincidence? not likely.
Agree, the bank can still come back on you after they have cashed the tills up and find any forged notes. Bank transfers by Faster Payment which is the standard bank transfer these days can not be recalled so very safe. Always get a small amount transfered first to make sure they have the account details correct.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I sold on EBay, asked for £300 deposit via bank transfer then rest payable by same when they'd seen motorhome.
I met buyers at local station, made them check the motorhome thoroughly then we went to his bank and transfer was made. I checked my account online, immediately moved the money from current a/c to savings a/c and handed him the keys, log book etc..
Advertise on here first, as there may well be a Funster looking for a new van. Good luck with the sale.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have to say I agree with Hollyberry, or in the words of Mr Punch;

.................................."That's the way to do it!"

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Cash is not a problem if one does it the way I did it to buy our MH, from a policeman who did not want Banker's Draft.

I did not want to carry thousands of pounds 90 miles. I checked the vehicle at the owners house. I arranged to draw cash from a branch of my bank and close to his bank. We sat in a private room, I signed for the cash, he executed a Bill of Sale and signed the V5C. We then went to his bank - 25m and paid in the cash to ensure the amount was correct.

So no forged notes, as drawn from my bank, and no cash held by anybody for more than 5 mins.

That works for both sides of the transaction.

If you are going to do it by Bank Transfer then do it from the same room at the Seller's premises and wait for confirmation of funds received before executing the Bill of Sale. We used to do that when I was practising law and selling/buying multi-million $ aircraft and the transfers were between London and NY. Bit tedious sitting there for 3-4 hours while the bank system ground away.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you just advertise on this forum, you are restricting your audience quite a lot.
Ebay Classified is a good way to sell as long as you use the advise above about payment.
Don’t respond to people offering to buy it and transfer the money without seeing it, genuine buyers will want to come and give it the once over.
Don’t let anyone drive it for a test drive unless they arrange their own insurance and you’ve checked it.
Set a good price by searching for similar models/year and don’t try and sell too cheap - there’s no need. Set the advertised price with a leeway to allow for offers. Allow buyers to take a “bite” out of the price and then a second “nibble” if necessary in your negotiations.
Dealers will want to make about 10 k on it so if you are able to sell st 5k less than forecourt price you will still get more than selling to a dealer.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Cash is not a problem if one does it the way I did it to buy our MH, from a policeman who did not want Banker's Draft.

I did not want to carry thousands of pounds 90 miles. I checked the vehicle at the owners house. I arranged to draw cash from a branch of my bank and close to his bank. We sat in a private room, I signed for the cash, he executed a Bill of Sale and signed the V5C. We then went to his bank - 25m and paid in the cash to ensure the amount was correct.

So no forged notes, as drawn from my bank, and no cash held by anybody for more than 5 mins.

That works for both sides of the transaction.

If you are going to do it by Bank Transfer then do it from the same room at the Seller's premises and wait for confirmation of funds received before executing the Bill of Sale. We used to do that when I was practising law and selling/buying multi-million $ aircraft and the transfers were between London and NY. Bit tedious sitting there for 3-4 hours while the bank system ground away.

Geoff

I sold a car privately to a buyer who wanted to pay the agreed price in cash. About £7k.

I took him to the bank branch. The teller did a cash count for me in the buyer's presence. He had to get his wallet out because (a) the amount was short and (b) a couple of the £20s were fake. I don't think that it was deliberate, just a mistake on his part. He accepted the situation because the teller was impartial.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We accepted a cheque for ours and the buyer waited until it had cleared. Cheque cleared the next day. We're about to buy another van and are all set up to do a bank transfer when the time comes.

I Hope you ve been OK with this, but unless things have changed, the sight of a cheque balance in your account doesnt mean its actually cleared, this can take up to 28 days before ultimately failing. I heard a story where a cheque was presented with a fake Sort Code so it just bounced around the system until it failed.

We have also been given a 'rubber' cashiers cheque in the past. It fooled our banks cashiers but luckily we had our suspicions and insisted they phoned the issuing bank who confirmed that the figures had been altered. You will notice that increasing numbers of small businesses will no longer accept cheques.

I agree with @haganap bank transfer is the best option.

Upvote 0

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I Hope you ve been OK with this, but unless things have changed, the sight of a cheque balance in your account doesnt mean its actually cleared, this can take up to 28 days before ultimately failing.
We actually went into the bank. Apparently cheques can clear much quicker now. Since then we've transferred the money to another account so I'm pretty sure its safe.(y)

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I think I have posted before to this effect, we sell hunreds of thousand pounds worth of trucks every MONTH all over the UK and beyond
We dont take cash
We dont take chqs
We definately don’t take Bankers drafts
We defin atelt definately don’t take building society cheques

Bank transfer only or Debit card up to £5k for a deposit, but most private individuals are not equipped to take Debit card

Any buyer with an issue with your “rules” , let them walk

Remember cash over a certain amount is affected by money-laundering rules

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
dont know where you are or how much you want but i have sold our last van through this firm,
https://www.motorhomedepartment.com/ i know you will find people knock them but i was compleatly satisfied with them as was my son who also sold one through them, the main premisis is near telford, you tell them how much you want and they will sell it on comission , they deal with all the finance so saves you the mither , you can either let them have it on their showground or keep it at home whichever suits you.
i have no connection with them apart from useing their services but thoughly reccomend them.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I recently read a story of someone taking 4k cash for a car, seller insisted on doing it early evening. House was robbed that night, 4k cash stolen, coincidence? not likely
Hard to believe they just happened to still have £4k in cash just laying around in the house.
Coincidence...no.
Tall tale.... Definately.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would definately try a private sale but maybe get a dealer offer to compare the price you should get a fair bit more privately

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I got more for mine from A dealer than I actually advertised it privately for. So no worries about getting the cash safely
It was transferred at the their premises.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I think I have posted before to this effect, we sell hunreds of thousand pounds worth of trucks every MONTH all over the UK and beyond
We dont take cash
We dont take chqs
We definately don’t take Bankers drafts
We defin atelt definately don’t take building society cheques

Bank transfer only or Debit card up to £5k for a deposit, but most private individuals are not equipped to take Debit card

Any buyer with an issue with your “rules” , let them walk

Remember cash over a certain amount is affected by money-laundering rules

What amount please? Re money laundering.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I actually wonder if some people are afraid of going out these days ;):unsure:(y)

Yes. :( I'm thinking of selling mine too .. stressful leaving house and stressful leaving mh in open storage.

Really hope a sale goes well for you . So much sound advice above that it must help with any concerns.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Don’t let anyone drive it for a test drive unless they arrange their own insurance and you’ve checked it.
& if they do make sure you go with them!!

Apparently cheques can clear much quicker now.
News to me. Speaking to the hmrc before christmas after having had to stop a cheque paid to them & the woman said
"A cheque takes around 4 to 5 weeks now to clear as it is such an old fashioned method" o_O

I'll take anything as long as it is cash.:):)
Reminds me of drawing 800 out of the bank years ago & using a 50 to pay in Boots with the wife. Never been so embarrassed as it was a forgery. bank never batted an eyelid,just muttered about they knew who'd paid them in & here's a real one. Not even an apology.
I asked my eldest bro-in-law whether he got many & what did he do.
Yes was the answer & the only thing you can do, pass them on.

Here we are fortunate in that when paying in /drawing out large sums the notes all go through a note counter which also doubles as a checker.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
couple of weeks ago i saw a merc for sale in birmingham and it looked a good one so my son went down on a sunday morning and had a look at it , he said it was as advertised so i did a bank transfer on my phone to the dealer , it was in his bank immediatly and my lad was back with it by dinner time , all sorted(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back