Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Long time lurker and now a paid up member. Hello to you all :giggle:

We bought our first MH last year and loved it, so we’ve sold it on, ordered a new Burstner motorhome, and are hitting the road for 6 months solid once it arrives in the new year. We’re in our early 40s and it’s a big change of lifestyle… we’re super excited.

Anyhoo, I’ve seen many campers and conversions with different/personalised decals and wraps, and I’m thinking of doing something a bit radical with the new motorhome.

Check out the image of a customised Hymer van. I’m toying with something equally puzzle like, with geometric and random shapes and patterns, covering the cab and all white sides, bar the roof (professional designed and fitted).

I appreciate it might impact if we sell it on, but I’d rather have something I love and take a wee hit later, than preserving a factory look for someone else’s benefit.

I’m sure there will be shouts of sacrilege from the old guard, especially on a brand new van. For me personally though, I quite like the idea of personalising it beyond a ‘Fred and Wilma on tour’ sticker!

I’m keen to hear opinions for and against, and any insight into things I might not have considered. Thanks!

Attachments

• 7B664847-232D-49A7-9AA3-00D0A9162367.jpeg
    7B664847-232D-49A7-9AA3-00D0A9162367.jpeg
    804.5 KB · Views: 329

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I personally love the look of that Hymer and if you fancy it on your new van, go for it. Your motorhome is just that, your home on wheels so decorate it how you like.

The only thing I wouldn’t like is being so noticeable. That’s why I stopped driving the Aston Martin…..too many stares from randoms ::bigsmile:

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
White or silver will naturally be reflecting more heat than darker colours/designs.

Heaven forbid there should be any damage, can it be fixed with a non-standard paint job or wrap in place.

Otherwise go for it (y) :cool: it would be great to see less of a sea of white boxes about the place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Pablotty welcome to Fun.
2 questions:
1: Do you want to customise the look of a standard Burstner van? if yes go for it, I dont think your example as illustrated will detract from its value if graphics are professionally done.
2: if you are wanting to go "full timing" for 6 months or longer, dare I say the plainer, most least noticeable over a plain van, for parking up in public areas the better, i.e dont draw attention to yourselves.
That's only my opinion of what I would do, but do whatever you feel will suit your circumstances best & future adventures?, Good Luck to you whatever you decide, keep us posted on how it goes.
Putting graphics or not will not detract on anyway your experience of touring anywhere, so just go for it and create your memories for life.
Safe travels.
LES

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Welcome from Espana, interesting project both in van customizing and lifestyle....good luck, we have survived 24 years of early retirement....made the right choice with a few personal stumbles on the way.....

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Personally I would make the black window part of the design, with a diagonal black area around it.

Gordon

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome! 🙂

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with wrapping a vehicle. It will be yours so do what you want with it.

I don't like the example you've given, but that's just down to my taste. I do, however, like the one below a lot!

bsz_8102-hdrbearbeitet_mitdachzelt_web-jpg.532159

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Thanks everyone. Some helpful replies here, including about darker colours and heat, and also being more conspicuous. We’ll be travelling parts of Europe and out the other side, so warmer climes is something worth thinking about.

A design using many segments has a couple advantages over a full wrap: It uses the background colour as part of the design, meaning far less vinyl is needed, which really helps to keep costs down. Also, should we get overly familiar with something and mark, dent, or damage the MH, we could replace individual segments as needed.

Deleted User
I love this wrap.
Have a similar van in boring grey, when funds become available?

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I’ve been toying with the idea of adding graphics to parts of our (very!) white ‘van….so I’ll be watching this thread with interest. ;)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I'm with the blend in and be discreet tendency. Not quite under the radar but close.

You never know what kind of attention you would attract if you go for a razzle dazzle wrap, or who you might annoy.

How long before you might get bored and want to change it?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I think it works on a PVC,

Not sure about C or A class

I don't think stealth vans really works anymore?
To be stealth you need a A+S plumbing sign writing!! Having solar / roof lights is a dead give away!

Cheers James

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Long time lurker and now a paid up member. Hello to you all :giggle:

We bought our first MH last year and loved it, so we’ve sold it on, ordered a new Burstner motorhome, and are hitting the road for 6 months solid once it arrives in the new year. We’re in our early 40s and it’s a big change of lifestyle… we’re super excited.

Anyhoo, I’ve seen many campers and conversions with different/personalised decals and wraps, and I’m thinking of doing something a bit radical with the new motorhome.

Check out the image of a customised Hymer van. I’m toying with something equally puzzle like, with geometric and random shapes and patterns, covering the cab and all white sides, bar the roof (professional designed and fitted).

I appreciate it might impact if we sell it on, but I’d rather have something I love and take a wee hit later, than preserving a factory look for someone else’s benefit.

I’m sure there will be shouts of sacrilege from the old guard, especially on a brand new van. For me personally though, I quite like the idea of personalising it beyond a ‘Fred and Wilma on tour’ sticker!

I’m keen to hear opinions for and against, and any insight into things I might not have considered. Thanks!
that looks great, and if it is a wrap instead of a paint job, then you’ll have no trouble selling it on, just pull the wrap off give it a polish and they have a brand new looking van!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I agree with jamesh… the style of the actual vehicle has to be considered when choosing decals and/or wraps. What looks cool on a VW or similar could look very odd on an A class.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Go for it love individual Vans and self builds as they have personality

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I'd be a bit concerned at standing out in some of the more dodgy places we've been. Thieves are always on the lookout and if you can blend in to the background of white vans it might be a bit safer.
I can see the attraction though of customising it.
Maybe do a bit of touring and see how you feel then.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Having bought a brand new Burstner and you have anything like the problems we had,I would wait until you have had the van and used it a bit before any major changes such as you suggest. This not to put a dampener on what you want to do. It’s just sometimes life just it not always straight forward. And as we all know makers will find any excuse to get out of warranty claims.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Having bought a brand new Burstner and you have anything like the problems we had,I would wait until you have had the van and used it a bit before any major changes such as you suggest. This not to put a dampener on what you want to do. It’s just sometimes life just it not always straight forward. And as we all know makers will find any excuse to get out of warranty claims.
mmhh!!

that's a little off putting and won't bode well with the Germans vans are better brigade,

I'm thinking personally now as well as i'm contemplating a change myself to german

if its ok with the OP, it is ok to ask what issues/problems have been or still are, and how well is your dealer or Burstner handling them

cheers

Al

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
I think the point is that I don’t want it to look like every other motorhome and blend in. It’s an opportunity for us to express some individuality.

Warranty and insurance. Excellent points, thank you (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
What model Burstner have you bought?

I wonder if it might be best for your purposes to order a vehicle without decals on it at all. Might it make wrapping it easier?

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
Not sacrilege but consider why Dazzle Camouflage was used during WW1, not to conceal but to make distance, direction and speed difficult to estimate - not ideal if trying to avoid a collision! But, it does look good :)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I'd be a bit concerned at standing out in some of the more dodgy places we've been. Thieves are always on the lookout and if you can blend in to the background of white vans it might be a bit safer.
I can see the attraction though of customising it.
Maybe do a bit of touring and see how you feel then.
Dare I say, ‘stay away from the dodgy areas then,? 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back