S V Tech anyone used them? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just collected new Carthago Semi Integrated on Fiat Chassis, MiRO quoted at 2975KGS from factory, quoted payload given was 525KGs.
Had it upgraded to 3650KGS to give us another 150KGs, so new gross payload should be 675KGs, deduct the new awning at 45KGs & Gaslow Bottles at 20KGs, we should have 610KGs payload left.
We drove it out the dealers, filled it to the brim with diesel,70Lrs =70KGs took it to the weigh bridge, had full fresh water tank (didnt realise they had left it full at handover a week previously) also grey water was a quarter full. So 110Ltrs of fresh water = 110kgs & say 25KGs of Grey water so 135 KGS total.
The weigh bridge figure came out at 3380 KGs, (with me sat in it) but van empty, leaving us a usable payload of only 270KGs.
So we love the van, dont want to reject it but wonder what if anything S V Tech can do to increase the payload and at what cost. will it be just a paperwork exercise, or will it involve having to have air suspension?
Any Ideas, as we haven't contacted S V Tech as yet.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
S V Tech are very helpful. They will let you know if modification needed or just a paper exercise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you don't really know what options you have and need help then SV Tech are the best people to use. Their knowledge of the motorhome industry is second to none.

If you know exactly what you can achieve and how you're going to do it but just someone to do the paperwork there are less expensive options around.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
You have just found out that the only reliable way to know your payload is to visit a weigh bridge..
The manufacturers empty weight they quote can have a +/- 5% tolerance within the European regs so it's not really that useful.
Best thing is to just contact sv etc and ask them what max gross weight they can do without any modifications..
It's cost me around £300 recently for a similar move..
Uped from 3500kg to 4000kg with no mods... just an expensive paper exercise..
Some on here have done it cheaper by taking on some of the work themselves..
Sv etc were very quick and good so depends on what you want..
Just not sure why the initial upgrade was only to 3650kg??
Andy.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks Guys
The weight upgrade from 3500KGs to 3650KGs was the maximum Carthago would uprate the Fiat Chassis to, so I just took the weight up grade offered at a price of £230 which the dealer would not swallow up in the deal.
Funny thing is that of all the MH,s parked up on the Vanbitz site, some very well travelled, none of them had ever gone near a weigh bridge, and actually admitted they were probably over their payload weight.
Others said "You worry too much" but I need to know that I am legal and have insurance cover as a consequence.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I’m going though the same with my Burstner. UL weight 3150kg GVW 3500kgs. Took it to a weighbridge when ready for Hols and 3620kg oops.
Spoke to SVTech to go to 3850kg, need air on the back, which I’m getting from Marcle Leisure Dunlop basic £395. Uprating rear axle to 2250 from 2000 at the same time by new tyres from 215/70 to 225/70.
SVTech are really helpful.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Just phoned S V Tech, as you said, they were very helpful.
They said as my van is at 3650KGs already, the paper exercise would only be able to take it to 3700KGs, so not worth it.
Second option was Air suspension, which would take it the max of 3850KG,s overall, taking rear axle from 2000KGs to 2250KGs. Three kits to chose from Goldsmitt or VB or Dunlop, basic kit 380 to 550 plus vat, option fitting £170, paperwork £380 +Vat.
Luckily we have 16inch wheels as it wouldn't be possible on 15 inch wheels, they said.
So I have options which is good news, bad news is at a cost!, these dealers should know that the quoted MIRO are very tongue in cheek! Glad we had it weighed, suggest everyone should, they may well get a nasty surprise when "Fully Loaded":eek:

Last edited:

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
My tyres are 215/70 15 and they said 225/70 15 would be fine, at least I don’t need 16in wheels on top.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We dealt with sv tech only a couple of weeks ago whilst sorting the sale of the RV. We live 10 mins from their office so called in and as others have said they are very helpful and knowledgeable. Some of the tales he told were toe curling!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As you weighed it with full tanks (70Lt of fuel is only 60kg) and a part full waste tank you will probably find you can get away with the 275kg you have. i would load it up fully for a trip and then go back to the weighbridge hopefully you will get a nice suprise.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
these dealers should know that the quoted MIRO are very tongue in cheek

They’re perfectly well aware but they obviously aren’t going to tell you that the van they’re trying to sell you has no payload are they?

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
They’re perfectly well aware but they obviously aren’t going to tell you that the van they’re trying to sell you has no payload are they?

I think it should be a legal requirement that every van/customer is supplied before the sale with a valid weigh bridge certificate, when I think about all the compliance paperwork that they and I had to sign like the certificate of conformity, the payload statement which I signed ,which was totally inaccurate makes the whole thing a farce! So How can that be legal?

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
As you weighed it with full tanks (70Lt of fuel is only 60kg) and a part full waste tank you will probably find you can get away with the 275kg you have. i would load it up fully for a trip and then go back to the weighbridge hopefully you will get a nice suprise.
Thanks Lenny for the encouragement, but I still have the spare wheel to put in the garage, and a second 22 KG Leisure battery, plus solar panels, so may well need the S V Tech and air suspension aids.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Used them twice to up plate our Rapido, the second time was free. I already had the VB air assist fitted to the rear specifically to improve the handling which it did massively. On speaking to SV Tech I sent them a copy of the VB fitting certificate and they up plated the Rapido to 3850kgs from 3500kgs, returning the relevant paperwork within a couple of days to send off to the DVLA. I was also told that if I was to uprate the tyres to 215's with a 112 load rating they would up plate the rear axle to 2240Kgs FOC, which is what we did. HTH (y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I feel for you, not the first and won't be the last until the manufacturers get this sorted. Now where's me popcorn?:(

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Rapido was at 3850 when I bought it. Uprated with SV Tech to 4000. I can't understand why it wasn't 4000 the first time though as no further modifications were needed, it already had air assist on the rear.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just collected new Carthago Semi Integrated on Fiat Chassis, MiRO quoted at 2975KGS from factory, quoted payload given was 525KGs.

Hi Tina,

It's a bit sad that things have worked out like this but it seems that manufacturers have a habit of understating the vehicle weights.

I hope you don't mind calculating a few numbers for me but if the factory quoted MIRO was 2975kg then what do you think the actual MIRO figure is on your van (very nice BTW(y)).

Our first van (a Small Autotrail MY16) was about 150kg over the stated MIRO while our new one (Pilote MY17) is about 90kg over so it seems they are all at it.

Best Wishes,

Andrew

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Used them twice to up plate our Rapido, the second time was free. I already had the VB air assist fitted to the rear specifically to improve the handling which it did massively. On speaking to SV Tech I sent them a copy of the VB fitting certificate and they up plated the Rapido to 3850kgs from 3500kgs, returning the relevant paperwork within a couple of days to send off to the DVLA. I was also told that if I was to uprate the tyres to 215's with a 112 load rating they would up plate the rear axle to 2240Kgs FOC, which is what we did. HTH (y)
As l said before, do nothing go from 3500 to 3700, not an option. Fit air go to 3850, Fit 225s and axle goes to 2250 from 2000. Job to do when I come back from hols.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Very happy with the way SV Tech dealt with our recent up-plating - they were always willing to answer any queries in full. They can supply air suspension kits if required, but they don't fit them.

I was less happy with DVLA who managed to cock up revising the V5 log book, and with Royal Mail who lost the bloody V5 when I resubmitted it.

Tip 1: Use Special Delivery when sending your V5 to DVLA by Royal Mail, not just Signed For delivery.
Tip 2: Send a covering letter asking DVLA to make sure they revise F.1 (Maximum Permitted Mass) when your V5 is revised.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sv-tech are very expensive compared to john ruffles

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
sv-tech are very expensive compared to john ruffles
Still waiting for John Ruffles, he has been on holiday for a while. It will be interesting what he comes up with.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Tina,

It's a bit sad that things have worked out like this but it seems that manufacturers have a habit of understating the vehicle weights.

I hope you don't mind calculating a few numbers for me but if the factory quoted MIRO was 2975kg then what do you think the actual MIRO figure is on your van (very nice BTW(y)).

Our first van (a Small Autotrail MY16) was about 150kg over the stated MIRO while our new one (Pilote MY17) is about 90kg over so it seems they are all at it.

Best Wishes,

Andrew
Well Andrew I will try and answer your question about the MIRO.
It was quoted at 2975KGs on a 3500KGs standard plate, so the payload quoted was 525KGs on the forecourt. I can only assume that the MIRO did not take into consideration any factory fit options like Tech Tower Oven above the Fridge Freezer, or the engine upgrade to 150BHP, plus any other options. But the fact that we had a model that deleted the overhead front drop down bed, you would have thought would make a vast decrease in the MIRO. I am not sure also what Carthago include in their MIRO figures, I need to find out more on that point. I am glad that I did the weigh bridge exercise otherwise I would not have been aware. I am also relieved that we paid for the weight upgrade to 3650KGs as the situation would have been much worse.
Its no wonder the sales guys face went grey when he saw me roll back up 20 minutes after driving it away, and putting the weigh bridge certificate on his desk :eek: I think he is expecting us to throw a wobbly on this and maybe see us reject the van on the false payload figures that he quoted us on the payload document of 610KGs thats allowing for the additional weight of the awning and Gaslow LPG kit which they fitted for us.
Bottom line is we love the van and are just so pleased to have the van home after such a long wait, and at least we have options to address the payload issues. Question now is who should pay for it, them or me?

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Being It
Well Andrew I will try and answer your question about the MIRO.
It was quoted at 2975KGs on a 3500KGs standard plate, so the payload quoted was 525KGs on the forecourt. I can only assume that the MIRO did not take into consideration any factory fit options like Tech Tower Oven above the Fridge Freezer, or the engine upgrade to 150BHP, plus any other options. But the fact that we had a model that deleted the overhead front drop down bed, you would have thought would make a vast decrease in the MIRO. I am not sure also what Carthago include in their MIRO figures, I need to find out more on that point. I am glad that I did the weigh bridge exercise otherwise I would not have been aware. I am also relieved that we paid for the weight upgrade to 3650KGs as the situation would have been much worse.
Its no wonder the sales guys face went grey when he saw me roll back up 20 minutes after driving it away, and putting the weigh bridge certificate on his desk :eek: I think he is expecting us to throw a wobbly on this and maybe see us reject the van on the false payload figures that he quoted us on the payload document of 610KGs thats allowing for the additional weight of the awning and Gaslow LPG kit which they fitted for us.
Bottom line is we love the van and are just so pleased to have the van home after such a long wait, and at least we have options to address the payload issues. Question now is who should pay for it, them or me?

Without quoting figures on here as to what the weighbridge certificate says, and more importantly, what was in the 'van when it was weighed. Were there any passengers, or yourself perhaps in the 'van. Was the fuel tank full? How about water? It's difficult to say.

Someone on here did reject his Chausson for the same thing. In his case the guy went to the 'bridge and without including anything into the 'van (after fuel and water) he had about 25Kgs left without including his wife or clothes.

In those circs, he had every right to reject his new vehicle.

If you are in the same boat??? and you could reject the 'van then it's the dealer who would have to pay because he has sold you goods that are not fit for purpose. It's all down to you. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your dealer is your 'friend'. He isn't. He has put you in this position and he must pay to help you get out of it. Don't delay. You only have so long to put pressure to the dealer. (30 days)

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Being It

Without quoting figures on here as to what the weighbridge certificate says, and more importantly, what was in the 'van when it was weighed. Were there any passengers, or yourself perhaps in the 'van. Was the fuel tank full? How about water? It's difficult to say.

Someone on here did reject his Chausson for the same thing. In his case the guy went to the 'bridge and without including anything into the 'van (after fuel and water) he had about 25Kgs left without including his wife or clothes.

In those circs, he had every right to reject his new vehicle.

If you are in the same boat??? and you could reject the 'van then it's the dealer who would have to pay because he has sold you goods that are not fit for purpose. It's all down to you. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your dealer is your 'friend'. He isn't. He has put you in this position and he must pay to help you get out of it. Don't delay. You only have so long to put pressure to the dealer. (30 days)

I did mention at the start of this thread that the van was empty of our stuff, we filled up the fuel tank, I was sat in the van as the driver, OH TinaL got out whilst being weighed, unknowingly we did have a full fresh water tank, and the water heater was also full, there was about 10ltrs in the grey tanks. I presumed the dealer would have emptied the tanks after the PDI, but no they were left full, as was the the FF left running on gas for a week between PDI and us collecting it a week later to take it to take it to Vanbitz. As I said the weighbridge cert stated 3380KGS overall,with full tanks and me, so only leaving 270KGs of payload without the OH in it! (not that she is that heavy):LOL:The payload sheet that the dealer gave me was totally inaccurate, he stated that he just uses the figures that Carthago give them, which with hindsight is a poor excuse as they are not accurate, as each model has different levels of options from the factory.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your Certificate of Conforminty will have MIRO which is the brochure weight and anthother line below it "Technical MIRO" this will be the weight it left the factory at with factory fitted extras and including allowances of 20Lt water, 90% Fuel, Driver at 75 Kg and 1 x 11 kg Aluminium gas bottle.

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks Lenny, Forgot about The COC docs, I only remember querying the payload doc, as the first copy they sent through was hand written and eligible, also the maths didn't add up, so they corrected it. I will check out the COC Docs and give feedback on that.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
20Lt water, 90% Fuel, Driver at 75 Kg and 1 x 11 kg Aluminium gas bottle.

Lenny,

Is that the official Components of a Carthago MIRO, i.e. does it include the driver @ 75kg.

Cheers,

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back