Route from rotterdam to Spain (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hello. We are planning a trip to Spain and maybe Portugal in September and yet to decide a route down. We are close to Hull and are tempted to use the p+o ferry to rotterdam and take the long route down. It will cost about £250. Much cheaper to go via Dover or the tunnel and much more expensive to take the direct ferry to northern Spain. Does anyone have any experience of rotterdam to Spain and can recommend a route?

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Been on most routes over the years. From your area, probably the cheapest is Newhaven/Dieppe. The distances work out the same which ever ferry you use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
That’s one heck of a run.

I know the cost of the ferry seems to be a lot but by the time you factor in the extra driving , fuel, overnight stops, tolls (maybe) and of course subsistence then You may find it’s actually not that much more.

I’m reconsidering driving this year. Did the ferry last year which was great but a really bad return sailing. So thought this year will drive. That means roughly 4 days of 400 miles each way. It’s a tiring run. Maybe not for the driver but the passenger.

Upvote 0
Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Its about 1400 miles from near you BG to southern Spain. 300 miles in the UK if you go down to the Channel, and 1100 miles from there on. I generally stop on free aires, and use the peage for ease of travel and speed and cover about 200/250 miles a day. Over the years I have found some fabulous aires with attractive towns and villages to explore.

Upvote 0

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
Its about 1400 miles from near you BG to southern Spain. 300 miles in the UK if you go down to the Channel, and 1100 miles from there on. I generally stop on free aires, and use the peage for ease of travel and speed and cover about 200/250 miles a day. Over the years I have found some fabulous aires with attractive towns and villages to explore.
Hi Old Gibber
What’s the cost of the tolls. Read a few places about it roughly £150 each way ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swaltham
Nov 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I have looked into using the Brittany Ferry run but what put me off was the return which seems to dock around 8 in the evening which is not good to then undertake the travel back up north. Unless I'm missing something and you can get a morning return? May be best to consider out on BF and then return tunnel?

Upvote 0
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I live very near the ferry too and used to do the Hull Zeebrugge one all the time.

Ive just done the Santander route for the first time and enjoyed it and the fewer days driving.

I will do the Rotterdam route again as I hate driving to the channel and once I’m on the ferry I feel like I’m on holiday. I think I would likely still head for Bologne Rouen Tours Bordeaux area and then Irun or Somport depending where in Spain I was heading. Not the shortest but I’m familiar with this route after Zeebrugge.

I may do it in August but if so won’t be going to Spain this time

Upvote 1

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
I have looked into using the Brittany Ferry run but what put me off was the return which seems to dock around 8 in the evening which is not good to then undertake the travel back up north. Unless I'm missing something and you can get a morning return? May be best to consider out on BF and then return tunnel?
The roads are much quieter then though. No hold ups.
I can be back in Newcastle within 7hours (360 miles ish)

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
That's no problem you just head to Port Solent (( https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=22568 )) don't forget to ring the security office when you get there so they are aware you're stopping all night - lots of restaurants too

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We have done the Hull/ Rotterdam to Spain going the length of France. Time is the only issue as far as I’m concerned as the trip through France is a pleasure in itself but not if you need to rush and do big daily distances.
Route we’ve done is via Rocroi, Rheims, Melun, Nevers, Moulins, Clermont Ferrand, A75 to Millau, Perpignan etc. Takes about 12 hours of leisurely driving but you go through some lovely places such as St Flour. Plenty of free aires (non-motorway) and few tolls (unless you go over the Millau bridge).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swaltham
Nov 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We have done the Hull/ Rotterdam to Spain going the length of France. Time is the only issue as far as I’m concerned as the trip through France is a pleasure in itself but not if you need to rush and do big daily distances.
Route we’ve done is via Rocroi, Rheims, Melun, Nevers, Moulins, Clermont Ferrand, A75 to Millau, Perpignan etc. Takes about 12 hours of leisurely driving but you go through some lovely places such as St Flour. Plenty of free aires (non-motorway) and few tolls (unless you go over the Millau bridge).
Thanks for that ingwe

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back