Route Calais to Argelès sur mer (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Aviano i727
Hi, driving down from Calais to Argelès sur mer, end September. Bertie is a 7.5m x 3m home and is Crit’Air 4. Hoping to get down there 2 or 3 days, looking for inspiration on the route, my maps keep sending me via greater Paris which I assume is a no go with my sticker. Was thinking of a first stop maybe Troyes / Dijon / Lyon. Will bimble our way back up . Any thoughts appreciated, cheers all

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ha ha we had a cunning plan to avoid Paris …. I realised it had gone to pot when we saw the Sacre-Coeur!

We’re planning the same on October. New plan is via Dijon, picking up some sparkly en route then back up the western side …

I’ll be following your travels with interest!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You ll do well to get to Argeles sur mer in 2-3 days and finding things to do on the way.
I would be heading round the peripherique (not everyones cup of tea) and heading via Nevers on the fast free road to Clermont and use that fast free road, or using the limoges road. Plenty of decent overnight stops in both those routes.

Enjoy

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I personally avoid Paris & go Calais Rouen Evreux Dreux a Chartres Orleans Gien Nevers Clermont-Ferrand then toll free A75 to Beziers then A9 to Perpignan then Argeles. I would normally do that over 4 days stopping outside Rouen, at Nevers then Millau for at least 2 nights Toll free all the way except for a small one joining north of Clermont to avoid the city to get onto the toll free A75

OP
OP
richengland
Nov 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Aviano i727
Thanks, sounds a good route and I suspect you are right, 4 days makes sense

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Rouen has a clean air zone that only allows vehicles with crit air 3 or better. With a crit air 4 you will need to find a way around it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Ah, a spanner in my works
The peripherique (to avoid Rouen and save an hour and a bit) is no worst or better than the M25. Nothing to be overly concerned with but worth avoiding at 0800 hrs and 1700 hrs during weekdays. Possibly used it 10+ times and not had an issue but just like the M25 it can be a lottery.

I get surprised when people avoid it but wont avoid the M25.

OP
OP
richengland
Nov 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Aviano i727
i accepted the fact my burstner was Crit’Air 4 for the last couple of years as it had the sticker and the one previous had an extensive history showing trips to a France every year. But … I did a check on line - it’s a 2 !! So Rouen route back on the table, along with the Paris ring road

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E720
Exp
Since 2020 - caravanned for 30 years before that
Our van is Crit'Air 5, so we can't enter Rouen either. We headed down that way, to avoid Rouen we drove to Yvetot then south over the Pont De Brotonne. Our first overnight was at Evreux in the camping car park, only six spaces and right in the city. From there our route was via Chatres and Orleans then roughly followed the A71/A75 - aiming for Marseillan-Plage. We did pay tolls on the first day but after that, apart from the Millau bridge, we avoided toll roads. We took more than 2/3 days because, after Orleans, we were in wandering mode.

Edit: Just seen your update, better quickly order a new sticker if your van should be a 2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back