rotten egg odour from water taps (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
we have started to notice a strange odour from our water taps, its not the drain/grey water tank, but actually the water from our onboard tank, its a hydrogen sulfide type smell (rotten eggs)

i thoroughly flushed it out at home and ran all the pipes through with fresh water, but we have noticed the smell again from both the hot and cold water tap (albeit a mixer tap). i am pretty convinced its either the tank or the pipework as opposed to the water heater, as its the same from both hot and cold supplies.

has anyone go a solution (sorry about the pun) they could suggest for us to try?

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Unlike many others, I don’t rely solely on flushing through with fresh water as there is always some water sitting around in the bottom of the tank which you cannot clear out. I use Puriclean once a year to clean tank and pipes .
I have seen the bacteria growing in my small containers and even in my home coffee machine tank. I know these are exposed to sunlight but overvtime the protective chlorine which was once in the fresh water, evaporates.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I put 4 Aqua mini tabs in for each fill . One tab treats 25 litres, its a 120 litre tank

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't store your batteries in the water tank. :rofl:

On a serious note never come across a smell like that in a fresh water system, wondering if a pipe is deteriorating and breaking down.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I think the smell is more likely to be coming from your grey waste system. We've had similar smells and usually it's finding it's way back from the grey waste tank through the traps.
I would check that out in the shower first, if it's not been used for a while, the traps may be dry and allowing the smell to seep back up through the waste pipes.
I guess it could be the water system, but it would have to be particularly rancid to create those kind of smells. 🤔

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I think the smell is more likely to be coming from your grey waste system. We've had similar smells and usually it's finding it's way back from the grey waste tank through the traps.
I would check that out in the shower first, if it's not been used for a while, the traps may be dry and allowing the smell to seep back up through the waste pipes.
I guess it could be the water system, but it would have to be particularly rancid to create those kind of smells. 🤔

definitely not coming through the grey waste through the traps etc if it was then the smell would be apparent all the time, not just when running water through the taps

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
definitely not coming through the grey waste through the traps etc if it was then the smell would be apparent all the time, not just when running water through the taps
It could be coming from the waste traps, when you run the tap the water disturbs the crud in the trap and you get the pong.

Try taking the traps off and cleaning them.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
PLEASE. Be very very careful what you use to clean and sterilise. Chlorine will attack some Stainless steels and Alloys. Especially vulnerable are Trauma Boilers.

P.S The amounts of chlorine in Normal Water is too small to have any real effect but sterilising volumes in ppm will cause issues over time.

I personally, use White vinegar, Which I get in Crystallised form online and mix.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had a similar issue (and yes - it definitely came from the fresh water system)
2 x flush through with puriclean and it still came back but third time seems to have cleared it.
I drained all the water from the boiler and fresh water tank through the taps after taking the van out for a vigorous drive with lots of swerving and braking to shake it up a bit

When you get the smell does the water fizz a bit or is it just still?

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Sterilise your tanks, taps and pipes with citric acid; buy in bulk off fleabay mix as instructed. I did mine the other day, pongs gone, do it twice a year, job's a good un.

DO NOT USE BLEACH OR OTHER CHLORINE BASED PRODUCTS - VERY BAD.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Sterilise your tanks, taps and pipes with citric acid; buy in bulk off fleabay mix as instructed. I did mine the other day, pongs gone, do it twice a year, job's a good un.

DO NOT USE BLEACH OR OTHER CHLORINE BASED PRODUCTS - VERY BAD.
hi, found it on ebay in 5kg (bulk) but just wondered how long that would take to use lol!

or i could buy puriclean, again how much would i use in each flush please (100l tank) - thanks

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Puriclean your freshwater tank. Plus it is likely that this could be coming from your grey waste tank. Run some dishwasher powder down your sink drains

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thanks for all the responses,

i have now sorted it and after having left it for a week or so just to make sure, i am happy with the results,

i followed advice and used puriclean on the freshwater tank, following the instructions about making sure the water 'sploshed' around the tank completely by doing a few handbrake turns ..... no, seriously, just a few drives up and down the drive with fast braking.

i then left it for 12 hours and flushed the tank and pipework to sink, basin and shower through a few times. its now been a week since i did it and when i tested it yesterday, the awful smell has gone completely, i can just about detect a slight smell of chlorine (?) which is diminishing and will hopefully disappear after a couple more flush throughs, but as we dont drink from the tank it doesnt overly bother us.

when we flushed through, we allowed the water to empty into the grey waste tank, cleaning that at the same time, whether that was necessary or not i dont know, but reckoned it wouldnt do any harm?

once again, thanks for all the suggestions

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
MisterB the chlorine smell is normally very light after a good clean. You can tell if the cleaner is still in the system by feeling the water, it will feel slippy/slimey between your fingers until the product has cleared fully.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for all the responses,

i have now sorted it and after having left it for a week or so just to make sure, i am happy with the results,

i followed advice and used puriclean on the freshwater tank, following the instructions about making sure the water 'sploshed' around the tank completely by doing a few handbrake turns ..... no, seriously, just a few drives up and down the drive with fast braking.

i then left it for 12 hours and flushed the tank and pipework to sink, basin and shower through a few times. its now been a week since i did it and when i tested it yesterday, the awful smell has gone completely, i can just about detect a slight smell of chlorine (?) which is diminishing and will hopefully disappear after a couple more flush throughs, but as we dont drink from the tank it doesnt overly bother us.

when we flushed through, we allowed the water to empty into the grey waste tank, cleaning that at the same time, whether that was necessary or not i dont know, but reckoned it wouldnt do any harm?

once again, thanks for all the suggestions
I had the same issue and regular puriclean treatment Does the trick

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We used cheap Asda cola, full strength, last week as ours was wiffy. Two 18p bottles, workEd a treat. We moved from Bristol down to Cornwall. Well and truly shook about. Use tabs that sterilise water every couple of tanks too.

Jun 21, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner ellegance
Exp
We had a horrific smell like that in ours and it turned out to be that the leisure battery had exploded.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We used cheap Asda cola, full strength, last week as ours was wiffy. Two 18p bottles, workEd a treat. We moved from Bristol down to Cornwall. Well and truly shook about. Use tabs that sterilise water every couple of tanks too.
Not for the fresh water, surely?
Gin might be better...

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
For info..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-020211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-020211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 31

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
we have started to notice a strange odour from our water taps, its not the drain/grey water tank, but actually the water from our onboard tank, its a hydrogen sulfide type smell (rotten eggs)

i thoroughly flushed it out at home and ran all the pipes through with fresh water, but we have noticed the smell again from both the hot and cold water tap (albeit a mixer tap). i am pretty convinced its either the tank or the pipework as opposed to the water heater, as its the same from both hot and cold supplies.

has anyone go a solution (sorry about the pun) they could suggest for us to try?
Forget the cheap cola etc just use a proper sanitizer works in both fresh water and grey tank it’s about 4 capsules for 100 litres https://www.marinesuperstore.com/fr...urification/aquasol-water-purification-liquid

Feb 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
PLA Plasy P70
I crush a dishwasher tablet into the sink after every time I dump the grey water and now never get a bad smell (I used to)
On the fresh water once a year I use Milton in the tank it’s plastic but don’t run it through the taps or boiler just dump it after a night from below and I also use citric acid which removes the limescale i run this through the whole system and leave it over night then flush it about 3 times and it’s bulletproof it cleans the water remaining level indicators great

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Cider vinegar or if you are posh white wine vinegar, Pour a litre into into the fresh water tank, fill up the tank, pump into the boiler, leave for 24/48 hours, do not switch boiler on!, have a decent run in the van to splish around the tanks, empty via running water through grey waste tank, flush out a couple of times...jobs a goodin (y)
If its grey waste tank, just chuck some bio tabs/dishwasher tabs crushed down the sinks & shower traps, better than any old Cola however cheap.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back