Rosyth to Zeebrugge spring 2023

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
New ferry route Rosyth to Zeebrugge to be launched by DFDS in spring 2023 firstly for FREIGHT and then MAYBE for passengers!!!!!!!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Zeebrugge port is not currently geared up to accept passengers.
So I'd not hold your breath on that one.

But what might be worth checking is if the motorhome with one driver can travel as a freight vehicle.
Your passenger(s) then gets either a cheap flight or takes the train to Brussels.

I looked into this option for the freight roro between Dartford and Gothenburg, but they would not permit motorhomes. but DFDS may be different, especially if they get a lot of enquiry/potential bookings.

OP
OP
Gingernuts
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Did it not support passenger ferries up til 2021 ie Hull-Zeebrugge!?
Have they knocked the terminal buildings down!!!???
It used to get lots of cruise ships in! 😐

bilM

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I use the Rosyth to Zeebrugge the last time it was running used it quite a lot.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
20 hrs crossing time , no thanks I can be in Portsmouth or Poole in 8 hours from S.W Scotland .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Relatives lived in Rosyth and thought of doing a Tunnel-Euro trip-Rosyth-Home circa 2014, until we priced the ferry- from memory it was something in the region of £800-£900 for a single. Tunnel and driving at that time would have cost circa £300.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Did it not support passenger ferries up til 2021 ie Hull-Zeebrugge!?
Have they knocked the terminal buildings down!!!???
It used to get lots of cruise ships in! 😐
No re-purposed them.
They have converted the former passenger and car area into a lorry park.

It could of course be converted back, at a cost, and they would only consider that if a ferry company was prepared to sign up for a long lease with at least several ships per week.

The port kept the passenger area open longer than they should, awaiting the UK government to open up the Ramsgate-Zeebrugge passenger route or the Sheerness-Zeebrugge Freight route to avoid the totally predictable stacking problem in Kent.

However after Grayling (the one who bunged a load of money to some mates to set up a ferry company from scratch) turned the whole issue toxic, no reputable ferry company will now touch the issue.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rimor evo 95 plus
Exp
Since 2021
Relatives lived in Rosyth and thought of doing a Tunnel-Euro trip-Rosyth-Home circa 2014, until we priced the ferry- from memory it was something in the region of £800-£900 for a single. Tunnel and driving at that time would have cost circa £300.
Phoned dfds 31st march in the hope they had advanced the ferry contract
No luck the answer was couldn't comment on the phone

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Exp
Doubt I would use the service , to much time on the boat considering I can be in Dover in 9hours and across on Eurotunnel in 40 minutes
far quicker to drive 390 miles but I can the attraction to some folks further north

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We were frequent users of the Hull /Zeebrugge ferry going both ways. We are mightily disappointed that it was discontinued. Our holidays used to begin after the 34 mile drive to Hull and you embarked. It was even more of a treat on the pre-retirement return trips avoiding the drag of the channel ports up to York journey, usually on a Sunday with work the next day.

Now we sometimes use the Hull to Rotterdam ferry but it’s not the same.

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We were frequent users of the Hull /Zeebrugge ferry going both ways. We are mightily disappointed that it was discontinued. Our holidays used to begin after the 34 mile drive to Hull and you embarked. It was even more of a treat on the pre-retirement return trips avoiding the drag of the channel ports up to York journey, usually on a Sunday with work the next day.

Now we sometimes use the Hull to Rotterdam ferry but it’s not the same.
We used it twice a year, loved that route.

So many people quote the tunnel as being a better option.

Since the closure of Hull-Zeebruuge. I did manage to get an August Summer return crossing from Hull-Rotterdam with premium cabins and 7m motorhome with bike rack for £380, Return. The Tunnel was £600.

Sadly we have lost too many ferry routes, Norway, Denmark and Belgium. As far as I can see, we only have France, Spain and The Netherlands left open. Something Macron used to his advantage when he closed the tunnel. Not a good situation to be in.

Something should be done before we end up with chaos worse than we have ever seen before with operation STACK

Chris Laing

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
The problem with DFDS is they are not dog friendly. Until they change their attitude to dogs the same way P&O I won’t set foot on any of their ships.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
kontiki sport
Exp
20 years tugging .5 years MOH.
That was a great route Ros/Zeb red funnel ferries departed Edinburgh 1700.hrs docked Zeb.
10.00. Nice meal, drinks. Entertainment, then bed for the night and wake up refreshed to go onwards
Was a tad expensive though last time we done it £900.00 return around 2001 with caravan.
Was like a mini cruise on the North Sea.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Since the closure of Hull-Zeebruuge. I did manage to get an August Summer return crossing from Hull-Rotterdam with premium cabins and 7m motorhome with bike rack for £380, Return. The Tunnel was £600.

Sadly we have lost too many ferry routes, Norway, Denmark and Belgium. As far as I can see, we only have France, Spain and The Netherlands left open. Something Macron used to his advantage when he closed the tunnel. Not a good situation to be in.

Something should be done before we end up with chaos worse than we have ever seen before with operation STACK
I forgot that we are trying to boycott P&O. But that could lead to the loss of Hull/Rotterdam

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I rest my case

33BD2FA0-0547-469A-9ACF-9AECAB745DC5.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

April 1st?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We have just booked a crossing on Tuesday, Hull to Rotterdam. P&O I know but our choices are pretty limited in the time available to us. Ferry seems pretty full as we weren’t given many options of cabin choice etc.
As for the return, in 4 weeks, we’ll see at the time.
Now all I have to worry about is arriving on the day a general strike is called in France, the availability of diesel, and whether any boulangers are open at a time we need one🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back