[ROOKIE QUESTION] How cold does it get in winter? (1 Viewer)

alittlerock

Free Member
Sep 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
N00b!
Hi guys, any owners got any feedback on how cold it might get in a van at night - on a really cold night, what'sit like?

Do you feel cold?
What wouldhappen if the heating stopped working during a cold spell etc - would a decent sleeping bag be enough or would you need to get things fixed asap??

Thx, totally ignorant, as usual

al

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in the early years, motorhomes had no central heating or electric hookup. You wore layers and used blankets to keep warm. However many was the time you woke to ice inside the van and doors iced shut

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Check your van plumbing, especially your water tanks, make sure they are protected from the cold otherwise you may find leaks and even damage to your water heater Due to freezing water expanding and pushing your pipes etc. apart.
And there's more. It can split water taps apart, and crack the toilet flush solenoid valve. It needs a really long spell below zero to crack the water heater, but it happens. Don't ask how I know:oops:

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When not on EHU I leave the Alde heating on but turn the temperature down low - to maybe 10 or 12 - that does mean the boiler will still be working keeping the hot water hot thus avoiding any problem in that area plus it helps warm the double floor..

The Alde timer works well if you want to use it.

Our grey and fresh water tanks are in the double floor - they also have an electric heater inside which kicks in automatically if it really gets cold but not sure they ever have.

Our black tank is not in the double floor but I guess with all the 'variety' of contents ir is unlikely to freeze - never has for us even up in the alps.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
We also have used an oil filled radiator on EHU..not used the gas heating overnight..but have used it to warm the van in the mornings..nice carpet of rugs..make you feel more toasty :clap:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We upgraded our Alde to the touch controller, now have a night time setting, which is defined by time and temp, clever stuff , I am not leaving my centrally heated house to sleep in an heated tin shed 🤔

I am staggered by the number of people who wake up cold and turn on the heating, even before the controller upgrade we left heating on all night on a reduced 18C temp 👍 just in case , but very rarely cuts in

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
On our first overnight after picking up one of our previous camper vans we wild camped next to a mountain lake. The temperature went down to -11° outside and there was ice on the inside of the windows. The heater was diesel-fired. I can't remember how it worked, but it worked really well and we soon warmed-up.
I remember camping in a tent in Sweden in the late '90s and it was so cold the gas cylinders wouldn't work. We were told that the Camping Gaz mix of propane and butane was not suitable for colder climates, so we cuddled the cylinder to warm it up so we could make a hot drink!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
18 months
Well I woke up in a cruise America van in Grand Canyon and the water outside had frozen! We hadn’t worked out how the heating worked but once we did we were warm as toast inside minus 10 outside but ooooh it wakes you up for sure.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
depending on the water system you have most have a dump valve which drops the water from the boiler and most but not all of the rest of the system when the valve gets to a around 4'c.

Upvote 0

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
Rookie question - would modern motorhomes have insulated tanks/pipes and/or heated tanks to prevent freezing?

If not, what should I be looking for in the specifications? Any specific jargon or abbreviations?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Rookie question - would modern motorhomes have insulated tanks/pipes and/or heated tanks to prevent freezing?

If not, what should I be looking for in the specifications? Any specific jargon or abbreviations?

Thanks in advance.
It’s a good question. Not particularly a rookie one.
Modern vans aren’t necessarily going to be better insulated, imo.
There’s a grading system discussed here.

Maybe that’s quite new as I’ve not seem my 14yo MH have a rating mentioned in its docs.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Insulation only delays the flow of heat, it doesn't stop it completely. A MH parked unused for several days in a temperature of minus 5 degrees will eventually drop in temperature until all parts are at minus 5 degrees, no matter how good the insulation is.

Properly winterised MHs have everything vulnerable to frost brought within a 'thermal envelope'. For example, fresh and waste tanks and all pipes within a double floor, and small ducts from the heating system to feed in heat to keep the temperature above freezing. The heating is kept on, maybe turned down when you go out skiing for the day.

Alternatives are external insulated tanks with electrical heating pads, and trace heating cable along the pipes inside the insulation. These usually need electric hookup, because solar yield in winter is generally too low for this.

MHs in storage have the water system emptied, and preferably blown through with compressed air to remove all water, if there's any danger of freezing.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi,
Autorouter has come up with a great answer, think about what how you want to heat the vehicle, options are Gas, calor or LPG, diesel heater, electric fan etc.
Gas tends to take up a cupboard or it is underslung Gas can cause damp as water is a byproduct. Diesel can be a heater( Webasto or such make or a Hob/ Heater (Wallas). And usually feeds straight from your motors fuel tank.
regarding keeping warm at night, it’s not safe to run gas all night unless it is flued outside, but with Diesel and electric you can keep them on safely all night as they will be thermostatically controlled. The point is with the right amount of insulation to hold in the heat you generate and the most comfortable heating you can keep warm and there are many Funsters who will show you photos of them pitched in snow etc.
are you thinking of building your own or buying a ready built van?

Upvote 0

MarcelJGB

Free Member
Sep 15, 2020
Belgium
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
Autorouter has come up with a great answer, think about what how you want to heat the vehicle, options are Gas, calor or LPG, diesel heater, electric fan etc.
Gas tends to take up a cupboard or it is underslung Gas can cause damp as water is a byproduct. Diesel can be a heater( Webasto or such make or a Hob/ Heater (Wallas). And usually feeds straight from your motors fuel tank.
regarding keeping warm at night, it’s not safe to run gas all night unless it is flued outside, but with Diesel and electric you can keep them on safely all night as they will be thermostatically controlled. The point is with the right amount of insulation to hold in the heat you generate and the most comfortable heating you can keep warm and there are many Funsters who will show you photos of them pitched in snow etc.
are you thinking of building your own or buying a ready built van?
Hi. Can't speak for the OP, but I will definitely buy ready-built.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Gas can cause damp as water is a byproduct
Gas causes no more or less condensation than any other form of heating. There shouldn't be any heating appliances in use that don't have a balanced flue. It is only when using an appliance without a flue that moisture is given off. (along with CO, CO2, and other products of combustion you don't want to breathe).

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
SWMBO would prefer to sleep in a fridge. I hate that. Our compromise is to leave the diesel heater on at night on a low thermostat setting while we sleep under a summer TOG duvet.

Our Rapido PVC is quite throughly insulated as tin boxes go. I have yet to find any significant condensation or cold bridges. We also use an external silver screen to help insulate the cab. That works well.

The fresh water tank is inboard under the bed. The grey water tank is external so potentially that might freeze but it hasn't happened yet.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Gas causes no more or less condensation than any other form of heating. There shouldn't be any heating appliances in use that don't have a balanced flue. It is only when using an appliance without a flue that moisture is given off. (along with CO, CO2, and other products of combustion you don't want to breathe).
The science says otherwise, please see link

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
What tonyidle wrote and what science say aren't mutually exclusive.
Tony said
Gas causes no more or less condensation than any other form of heating. There shouldn't be any heating appliances in use that don't have a balanced flue. It is only when using an appliance without a flue that moisture is given off
Science from your link says
The water produced by propane mixing with too little oxygen is unusable for most applications, such as drinking water. In fact, the water vapor is so minimal that usually the water burns up right along with the propane

So the conclusion that heaters that aren't faulty don't create dampness seems a fair conclusion from both, to me.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If course it does, as does any hydrocarbon fuel to a greater or lesser extent, but my point is that combustion is not exposed to the inside of the vehicle, and the products of combustion are led outside by the flue. So there is no difference whether LPG or any other fuel is burned as far as the atmosphere inside the van is concerned.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If course it does, as does any hydrocarbon fuel to a greater or lesser extent, but my point is that combustion is not exposed to the inside of the vehicle, and the products of combustion are led outside by the flue. So there is no difference whether LPG or any other fuel is burned as far as the atmosphere inside the van is concerned.
Ok understand you and you are right in respect if heaters, but most people with Gas tend to cook with it as well so open hob flame will create water. Forgive me I realise that this thread was more about cold in habitation area.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ok understand you and you are right in respect if heaters, but most people with Gas tend to cook with it as well so open hob flame will create water. Forgive me I realise that this thread was more about cold in habitation area.
Anything other then electric cooking will create moisture although TBH the food will create more than anything else.

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
How cold does it get was the question. Just turn the heater on buy good bedding and forget about how cold, worry about it getting too hot! I used to have a Conway Cardinal, a solid roofed trailer tent, camped in snow and had to turn the heater down several times over night. The floor was cold but otherwise temperature was fine. Had to crack a thick layer of frozen snow off the canvas parts on several mornings. Get out there and enjoy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back