Jan 29, 2020
Evesham, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer 694SL
Exp
3 years
Hi All
On one sunny day I decided to take a look on the roof of my motorhome. It appears that where the Electrical connections for the Awning pass through he roof, it has been masticked (badly I may add) (not by me!) and there appears to be some translucent tape which has been applied on top of the mastic and to finish off around the roof fitting.

My question is, can I easily buy some more of this tape as this is now getting very scruffy and dirty, and also is it normal for tape of this sort to be applied to the roof. I'm confident enough to do a re-tape of this area, but just wanted to know if this tape is USUAL and where I can get it from? Is it a standard type of tape or specific to Motorhomes/Caravans?

Thanks, all replies will be appreciated..

Attachments

• IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 183

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Never seen that tape on a motorhome before, it looks a little like the clear polyurethane abrasion tape used on aircraft fin leading edges and helicopter rotor blades, was the previous owner involved with aviation?

Suggest remove all tape and cut back the excess sealant then apply a tidy bead of Sikaflex.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
What 68c said.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at the photos I assume there are 2 separate inlets - one of them appears to have a very tight kink on the cable coming out of it which I wouldn't be happy with.

As for the mess of sealant etc, I'd be tempted to completely remove it all and the inlets and re-stick them from scratch, if it's that bad on top goodness knows how well they've been attached in the first place.

Reactions: 68c

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
first question, is it actually mastic? as in still pliable and easy to remove? it may be sikaflex done badly

Is it watertight? and just unsightly to look at

try cleaning it with the help of a toothbrush

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
This type of tape has been used by the motorhome and caravan construction industry to extra seal roof joints for many years recently and a big user of it is the Swift Group. As you say the mastic is normally badly applied and this tape is stuck on top of it. It's referred to as Aircraft Tape by the Swift Group so a local Swift dealer should be able to get you a roll of it if unable to find on the internet.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Looks like Eternabond tape, good stuff but not ideal for location.
I`d strip everything off and start again
I quite agree, it might be alright today, but not for long, I had similar problems on ours cos the fella we brought it off was a bodger, by far the easiest way on anything like that is to completely remove it and start again

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Definitely looks like helicopter tape. It stays stuck on rotors so should stay stuck on your roof. It might not look pretty but if it’s not leaking why mess with it?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
personally i dont like those cable inlets as there is little surface area to apply sealant to get a ip rated junction box from screwfix and a tube of stixal from toolstation

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I would like at some point to fit solar but it’s the drilling through the roof of a type of vehicle renowned for leaking that puts me off. I’m looking at trying to get the cabling to the battery area without drilling holes in my roof. If I can do that I’ll look again.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I would like at some point to fit solar but it’s the drilling through the roof of a type of vehicle renowned for leaking that puts me off. I’m looking at trying to get the cabling to the battery area without drilling holes in my roof. If I can do that I’ll look again.
It's easy to drill a hole, know where it is and seal a cable inlet cover properly over it. As opposed to a leaking roof where it can take an age to work out where the actual leak is.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It's easy to drill a hole, know where it is and seal a cable inlet cover properly over it. As opposed to a leaking roof where it can take an age to work out where the actual leak is.
I know what you mean but my ceiling inside is decorated with soft furnishing and I don’t really want to see a horrible looking cable coming through .

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
I take my cables down into a hole that appears inside a cupboard so not visible.

Same as me, the previous owner installed the solar panel, and he just drilled a hole in the roof (over the cupboard) poked cables through NO SILICONE, terrible CONSTANT leaks, removed the solar panel and cables, re-installed the panel with a sealed box through the same hole, riveted and silicone seal, no problem now. Even overdo the silicone and smooth the excess around the cover. Good luck
P1360163.JPG
P1360177.JPG

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
and when I drilled a hole for the cables from our Snipe dish made sure it had the diameter of a short bit of conduit I had kicking about. Sikaflexed that into the hole projecting 15 -20mm above the roof so if any water did get in under the roof box it had nowhere to go but back out again.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Jim I have sussed it, maybe? Running Fun in Edge (Chrome version) and Chrome does not display pasted URL links that I have pasted. No problem in Firefox.

Reactions: Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back