Roof mounted or external foldable panels? (1 Viewer)

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I’m considering adding Solar to my 2018 model Chausson.

I’m swithering between Roof mounted panels or a Foldable ground kit.

I see the advantages of the roof mounted as:
- Permanent solution - fit and forget
- No need to setup on site
- No need for extra ground space on site
- No need for storage in garage
- Always on

With disadvantage as:
- Installation Cost
- Potential for water intrusion if poorly fitted
- Lower efficiency as panels are not pointed directly at Sun
- Lower efficiency if MoHo parked in shade (whereas foldable kit could be located in sun)
- can’t change easily if upgrading to newer technology (more efficient panels in the future)
- can’t easily remove and use if I change my MoHo.
- can’t use for other purposes (ie. camping / boating etc).

Any thoughts on the above?

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Depends how much solar you want. 300W on the roof should be more than enough for most people. Portable panels tend to be much smaller and need to be put away if you go for a walk unless you are parked somewhere very safe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Roof panels by far the most convenient cheap and easy DIY fit. Any disadvantage in output easily overcome by fitting more panels. Also in the summer they will be producing power for hours before you are up to set up a portable panel.

Free standing folding panels are expensive and you only get the max out of them if you are going to move them to face the sun every couple of hours. Often can't use them on Aires due to other vans shading them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Roof mounted are just fit and forget.
A foldable kit is usually more expensive than a similar fixed panel, outwith fixing. Plus you will have all the faf taking them out of the garage, connecting up, securing them so they don't get nicked. Packing them away, especially when it's wet etc. Plus you would need to move them around for best position in the sun. I have seen a few with caravans using them but not many motorhomers. If I had no space on my roof that's the way I would go, but otherwise roof fixed.
If you move around a lot why not fit a b2b charger to compliment the solar?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've had both. Prefer the roof mounted but I put hinges on one side of it so it can possibly be lifted up to face the sun.. Makes a hell of a difference in autumn ??

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Go for roof mounted. If you have access to the roof, it's fairly easy to have one or more panels hinged with stays to angle them for better performance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fixed are certainly the first option I would go with, you can always supplement them with a portable one if you want in the future.

If you use fixed rigid ones you can actually remove them if you want, just leaving the mounting brackets etc on the roof if they can't be taken off without leaving holes or causing damaged etc. On a previous MH as part of the deal the dealer moved our panel across for us.

As for installing them roof panels, the hardest part is usually finding a way to feed the cables down discretely but even that's not difficult and some MHs comes with pre-wiring already installed anyway.

If you do want to supplement with a portable panel you could get a simple semi-flexible one and connect that up to the already installed controller (make sure the controller is of a sufficient capacity to allow you to do this) as this is by far the cheapest way to get a portable one of the size you want without paying over the top for it. I did this with our set-up putting a 12v ciggy plug on the end of the cable from the 50w semi-flexible panel I bought and a receiving socket next to and linked to the controller along with the other solar input cables, all I then have to do was stick the ciggy plug in the socket and ensure the panel was in the sunshine.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
To be honest..
BOTH.
Fit one decent sized one on the roof for fit and forget reasons, also good battery maintainer over winter.
And buy a free standing /fold out one for those times you parked in the wrong spot / you can get a better angle on the sun / need a bit more juice.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What about using portable ones but making a storage clip system on the roof, so they are transported/put away on the roof (facing up of course ?) , but can easily be got down and pointed at the sun ?
Just thinking out of the box ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With disadvantage as:
- Installation Cost
- Potential for water intrusion if poorly fitted
- Lower efficiency as panels are not pointed directly at Sun
- Lower efficiency if MoHo parked in shade (whereas foldable kit could be located in sun)
- can’t change easily if upgrading to newer technology (more efficient panels in the future)
- can’t easily remove and use if I change my MoHo.
- can’t use for other purposes (ie. camping / boating
- peanuts if you can operate a glue gun & drill one hole
- not if you do it
- true but they're always in use
- true again
- not likely to be an issue
- true but I'd be interested to see a large panel on a boat (other than a barge)

Portable panels have to be of a manageable size and need a dedicated storage location. If you have room 250W panels are cheap enough to cover the roof.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Portable have more chance of getting smashed...

in out shake it all about....?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Roof panels for me - I have 250W with an MPPT controller feeding two batteries. The sun usually gets up much earlier than me and on sunny days has finished the job of topping up my batteries by about 10 or 11am, which would be the time that I would just be putting out the portable ones!

Also we spend more time moving around rather than just sitting in one place all the time, that is why we have a motorhome rather than a caravan. And we mostly use Aires or wild camping areas. So the portable panels would be operating for a lot shorter time than the the roof mounted ones.

Just the thought of faffing about everyday putting panels out and connecting them all up, then moving them around every hour or so to follow the sun and then disconnecting and taking them in again when we go out and at night (in case of theft) makes me feel exhausted.

Deleted User
Portable are far more efficient at converting sunlight, if you get them at the right angle, into energy but fixed are easier to use.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Fix to the roof with a hinge and so you can angle them in the autumn and winter. I made a frame out of unistrut and used 4 old crutches to make the angle adjustable for the time of year.

assuming you can get to the roof of course
if you do angle them you need to point or park them southish. Our 255 watt panel has charged the batteries by 10 usually even when flat

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Thanks all, some good points there!

I am more than capable of installing myself but would be concerned about potentially affecting warranty if I have to screw the mounts down on the roof. The roof cable access is not a problem as there is already a roof mounted box in place.

Is it best practise to screw the panels down or should Silkaflex (adhesive) be sufficient?

And of course if it was installed by a dealer they would know the best routes for the cables. I’ve asked on the Chausson owner group if anyone can advise routing used by a dealer, but no one has shared that info as of yet.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If it’s your first van I might consider portable panels as more often than not you will change the van as it’s not quite what you want, and the dealer will give you no more money px if you have panels on the roof or not. Just my thoughts.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You screw the panels onto the support brackets but glue the support brackets to the roof. I would never want to screw through the roof. On the previous moho I did it all myself with guidance from Techno . I used 50mm x 50mm ali angle as brackets. They take up less space than the plastic ones they sell and are a lot cheaper.

The dealer fitted the panels on my latest motorhome. Did similar. Again no screws through the roof, just sikaflex.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
And of course if it was installed by a dealer they would know the best routes for the cables. I’ve asked on the Chausson owner group if anyone can advise routing used by a dealer, but no one has shared that info as of yet.
They might - or they might do what most dealers do and take the easiest route. You have the freedom to come into the van at the most convenient location by running cable across the roof so a location inside the van that already has a simple cable route to the battery is good. If you intend to trust a Dealer then trust a trusted one :D . There's more than one on the Forum.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks all, some good points there!
I'm confused, you say:
The roof cable access is not a problem as there is already a roof mounted box in place.
Then ask:
of course if it was installed by a dealer they would know the best routes for the cables. I’ve asked on the Chausson owner group if anyone can advise routing used by a dealer, but no one has shared that info as of yet.
Are the cables already in place from the box down to the batteries or is it just an 'empty' box?

If the latter it's just a matter of finding out where it goes internally and then see where you can 'hide' the cables, it not usually difficult to get stuff downwards even if it goes behind furniture etc, I've used a plumb bob, string and a bent coat hanger before today!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back