Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I seem to remember either a post on MHF or in a newspaper about a couple who woke up to find they had been broken into in France? (oh for a decent memory) and they were tested at hospital and found to have high levels of carbon monoxide, suggesting someone had pulled up next to them in a vehicle and pumped it into their MH from the exhaust of the vehicle. Or maybe I have had too much to drink..:beerchug:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Of course ... good ol'ostrich syndrome.

When someone offers personal experience(s) he/she is laughed out of court/treated as a t*at/accused of being a p**shead etc. So be it ..... :whistle:

Reactions: SMB

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I seem to remember either a post on MHF or in a newspaper about a couple who woke up to find they had been broken into in France? (oh for a decent memory) and they were tested at hospital and found to have high levels of carbon monoxide, suggesting someone had pulled up next to them in a vehicle and pumped it into their MH from the exhaust of the vehicle. Or maybe I have had too much to drink..:beerchug:

Or their fridge was not sealed correctly as many aren't!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am in over tired camp with this

we had a seriously lucky escape many years ago with our caravan, worked too late drove too far, determined to get past Paris before stopping, no logic really

but stopped on a motorway aire with activity options (exercise) kids both girls then aged about 9 and 10 went off to 'play'

we laid on bed for a rest, where we could still see them, promptly fell fast asleep, no idea for how long probably only a few minutes

woken by youngest saying the man and lady with the little girl wanted to take them to Paris for tea, 'could they go'

By the time we got out nobody in sight, thank god, kids were amazingly sensible and we weren't but boy did we learn a lesson that day

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Or their fridge was not sealed correctly as many aren't!
That would be quite a coincidence though, having a faulty fridge and getting robbed at the same time. I would have thought they would have ended up dead if it was a long-term problem, although MH's are well vented, but, please, don't start me on about gases, I would much rather have a totally electric-powered van.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Of course ... good ol'ostrich syndrome.

When someone offers personal experience(s) he/she is laughed out of court/treated as a t*at/accused of being a p**shead etc. So be it ..... :whistle:
You have got me wrong stcyr, I meant that I have had a drink tonight, not that it was anything that the couple who were robbed had drunk!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just buy one of these for each door.... tape/fix the body to some part of the van,,, and tie the lanyard to the door handle,, (If the lanyard is not long enough,, extend with a bit of string)

If a door is opened the pin is pulled out of the body and set`s the very, very loud alarm of...

Enough to frighten the *hit out of any burgler or you..

To switch off just replace the pin.... cost about £4.. (y)

minderblackpa.jpg

PS............. Wont stop "Gassing"...

Thanks Mo

cant find them for £4 but this is close enough, looks like a good tool (y)

just need to remember to fit them

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You are correct in that there was an incident reported allegedly involving carbon monoxide:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fumes-car-exhaust-knock-travelled-France.html

Another but with no mention of what 'type' of gas:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hieves-knocked-using-SLEEPING-GAS-France.html

The former, if it is to be believed that they had carbon monoxide in their system, could be explained by them stopping in a service area and having windows open (not that they would admit this but they DO say mention the heat so I'd certainly place good money on it ...) therefore fumes from vehicles coming/going would easily get into the vehicle.

The latter report has the phrase "The gassing thing happened to a friend of ours in England so it made me think the same thing must have happened to us" ... NO evidence at all, just an assumption because it apparently happened to a friend in England ... now, tell me when did you ever hear of an incident like this happening here??? I'm sure that if it had it would be splattered all over the newspapers, TV news etc. What amazes me about this couple though is that as they apparently KNEW about this from friends who it had allegedly been done to why on earth would they risk it ... !!!!!

The article also mentions "A police spokesman said: ‘They release a knockout gas through van air vents or windows – and can then rob the vehicle without anyone knowing. It’s been blighting this area for years.’ ... since WHEN does a French Police Officer talk like that ... !!!!

Until there is PROOF that gassing, of any sort, is actually happening, from a reliable and undeniable source, I'll just ensure that I don't put myself in stupid situations for night stops.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Thanks Minx, it makes sense..

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Gorse Hill, may I suggest to re- read the OP. He didn't think it was gas either. The police suggested it

Edit - see above.

Please wake up at the back of the class ;)

it then do so, but please do NOT try to teach me to suck eggs about what goes on.
In my experience I think something going on with the gassing, in whatever form, I also believe the police have the same opion with some evidence to support it
Not sure it's there lack of desire to investigate thoroughly.
But maybe you both have more experience than me in these matters

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In my experience I think something going on with the gassing, in whatever form, I also believe the police have the same opion with some evidence to support it
Not sure it's there lack of desire to investigate thoroughly.
But maybe you both have more experience than me in these matters

Gorse Hill, I think you just like having an argument with people for no particular reason

In your post above, you will see, if you can be bothered to read it, all I suggested was that you read what the OP said, which was perfectly clear in that the police suggested to the people that gas was used.

Now where on earth does " you both have more experience than me" come into that? More experience of actually reading and actually understanding what people say, perhaps?? More experience of acknowledging that others read the facts? It was the same with other discussions.

No matter, congratulations, you are now the first and only person on my ignore list

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Another equally plausible explanation is that the motorhome was in fact NOT occupied at the time of the robbery!

Why? Because the occupants had been abducted by aliens! After a couple of laps of the planet in a flying saucer, having medical research carried out, you would feel pretty groggy and disorientated when you woke up. The Royal College of Consultant Anesthetists issued a statement this year saying that gas attacks were a myth, but they have said nothing, ever, about alien abduction. There are as many claims of alien abduction as there are of gassing and they all tell a similar story. Taken into a space ship and have a probe put up their rectum. You would think by now the aliens had all the information they needed about the human bottom but the practice continues. (I suspect it isn't about the research, but you draw you own conclusions).

The Police will always take a guess that's it's a gas attack: because they are part of the cover-up!

The real mystery, which nobody has ever tried to explain, is why these people were carrying three computer games consoles, a Rolex watch and five Italian suits. Their total insurance claim always adds up to exactly the level of cover provided by their policy: Now that is a mystery?

The only way to protect yourselves is to turn off all electrical equipment and line the inside of your vehicle with silver foil. Everyone knows alien death rays can't penetrate turkey wrap! right?

For a no obligation quote to have the protective work completed got to

:moon2:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Regarding folk always feeling dopey, thick headed, etc. on waking after these robberies.
I know many people who button the van up completely at night for security or to keep bugs out.
We always leave two roof vents open.
4 or 6 people sleeping in a closed down van will surely soon deplete the O2 in the air inside the van, which would make them feel groggy after a while, robbed or not?
If that is the case, are we now talking solely about being robbed, the groggy feeling being incidental?

Just a thought.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
An aerosol can full of some Magic gas isn't going to have any effect whatsoever on any of us in the van.
Allan

I agree with everything you said except the above. I am of course being pedantic ;)

My son is an anaesthetist and he told me that whilst 'putting you to sleep' in a van is just about impossible it is quite possible to KILL you with gas in a van :eek: Has anyone ever been killed by a 'gas attack'? I am not aware of any.

So the way I see it................. so called 'gassing' just does NOT happen. As many have said this 'gassing' caper has been discussed so many times and if people wish to believe it then it is their choice :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
So for the first time do we have someone with experience of gassing, Gorsehill says,

"In my experience I think something going on with the gassing, in whatever form, I also believe the police have the same opion with some evidence to support it"

Gorsehill, could you please share your experience and also tell us how you know what the police opinion is and what evidence they have to support it?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
You have got me wrong stcyr, I meant that I have had a drink tonight, not that it was anything that the couple who were robbed had drunk!

Sorry,this wasn't directed at you personally! I meant that everybody - not just on MHF - who hears about possible "gassing" argues that it cannot & does not happen, almost invariably backed up by that quote from the Royal College of Anaesthetists.... Whenever someone who HAS had experience of such events offers information or anecdotes he/she is shouted down - 'must've been tired after a long drive"/"probably too much vino" & suchlike.

Reactions: SMB

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Sorry,this wasn't directed at you personally! I meant that everybody - not just on MHF - who hears about possible "gassing" argues that it cannot & does not happen, almost invariably backed up by that quote from the Royal College of Anaesthetists.... Whenever someone who HAS had experience of such events offers information or anecdotes he/she is shouted down - 'must've been tired after a long drive"/"probably too much vino" & suchlike.
I don't think anybody is shouting. I'm certainly not, people believe what ever they want to. But beliefs should be based on the evidence as it appears. There is not one shred of evidence, that anyone, has ever, been gassed in this way. All we have is people speculating. The RCOA statement is evidence; as it would be presented in a courtroom, by an expert witness. They say it's a myth. Others say it's true: You must draw your own conclusion. What is important, and shouldn't get lost among the debate, is that security is a personal responsibility. Take normal precautions and you'll be fine. If you do get robbed then guessing the reason why you were unable to prevent it, really isn't helpful.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whenever someone who HAS had experience of such events offers information or anecdotes he/she is shouted down - 'must've been tired after a long drive"/"probably too much vino" & suchlike.
As regards the conversation on which this thread was based, it was a normal conversation between friends with nothing anywhere near "shouting down". The victim initially thought not being woken by the robbers was a result of heavy sleep after a tiring day. It was only when the police suggested gassing that he considered that as an alternative. Having now discussed the various aspects and thought about it he considers that his initial reaction is more likely to be the explanation.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Gorse Hill, I think you just like having an argument with people for no particular reason

In your post above, you will see, if you can be bothered to read it, all I suggested was that you read what the OP said, which was perfectly clear in that the police suggested to the people that gas was used.

Now where on earth does " you both have more experience than me" come into that? More experience of actually reading and actually understanding what people say, perhaps?? More experience of acknowledging that others read the facts? It was the same with other discussions.

No matter, congratulations, you are now the first and only person on my ignore list
It's usually me that's the target, David, but as it's my weekend off...........(y)(y)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

Tooshay
As it happens the experience quote wasn't directed at you, unfortunately I was rushing out to work and didn't read my post properly, however why is it when someone doesn't agree with a point of view it's called an argument I don't think my post was augmentative just a different point of view which am entitled to just like you
I believe it happens, you don't
But your ok to leave little clever comments like quote
Wake up at the back of the class

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Tooshay
As it happens the experience quote wasn't directed at you, unfortunately I was rushing out to work and didn't read my post properly, however why is it when someone doesn't agree with a point of view it's called an argument I don't think my post was augmentative just a different point of view which am entitled to just like you
I believe it happens, you don't
But your ok to leave little clever comments like quote
Wake up at the back of the class
GH, we're all entitled to our own view and an argument is a perfectly healthy way for two points of view to be tested. It's a debate, where each side tries to defend their position and convince the other side, by reasoned argument, that their view is the correct one. It is a process that forms the basis of our democracy. Just because we disagree doesn't mean we can't be friendly.

So you believe that people are gassed in their motorhomes and then robbed. A perfectly valid belief. I don't believe it and I think I have given very good reasons why I don't believe it. Equally valid.

If you can provide evidence to support your belief, I and others, might change our minds. I would present my evidence to the contrary and try and convince you that it does not happen, which is my belief. And may the best man win. We may have to agree to differ if neither side convinces the other. The result is a Conservative Lib Dem coalition.

The reason why I take part in this debate is because I think it is important that we don't live our lives in fear of the unknown, without evidence to support the validity of that fear. The alternative is that we waste our time worrying about risk, where no real risk exists, instead of enjoying life.

All meant in the best possible spirit.

P

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
GH, we're all entitled to our own view and an argument is a perfectly healthy way for two points of view to be tested. It's a debate, where each side tries to defend their position and convince the other side, by reasoned argument, that their view is the correct one. It is a process that forms the basis of our democracy. Just because we disagree doesn't mean we can't be friendly.

So you believe that people are gassed in their motorhomes and then robbed. A perfectly valid belief. I don't believe it and I think I have given very good reasons why I don't believe it. Equally valid.

If you can provide evidence to support your belief, I and others, might change our minds. I would present my evidence to the contrary and try and convince you that it does not happen, which is my belief. And may the best man win. We may have to agree to differ if neither side convinces the other. The result is a Conservative Lib Dem coalition.

The reason why I take part in this debate is because I think it is important that we don't live our lives in fear of the unknown, without evidence to support the validity of that fear. The alternative is that we waste our time worrying about risk, where no real risk exists, instead of enjoying life.

All meant in the best possible spirit.

P
Valid point you make PHD and agree with a lot of what you say
I don't worry about the risk I tend to be more a half full than half empty type of person
I have read numerous reports about these incidences from credible individuals, not sure exactly how it is done and accept there is various organisations who believe it's not possible, however these same people have been wrong in the past and am sure will be in the future we are still learning NO one knows everything.
I find it hard to believe that, even considering drink and driving for a long time (both of which I have done, not at the same time) for someone to break into a very small space half of which you sleep in and all this in the dark open various draws/cupboards without being heard
This is why I believe some kind of gas has been used, however it's done, some people have indicated the police don't want to investigate, why wouldn't they ?, surely it wouldn't be in there interest not to I also think the french police are just as competent as our own police force and they seem to indicate there is reason to believe gassing is an reasonable explanation with some evidence to support this theory

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just another point PHD, the ROCA indicated they thought
If there was a totally safe, odourless, potent, cheap anaesthetic agent available to thieves for this purpose it is likely the medical profession would know about it and be investigating its use in anaesthetic practice.
Not that it was impossible anything was available, let's say this substance wasn't approved by the ROCA as they would only be using approved anaesthetic
Also the Foreign Office issued a warning about gassing, maybe there aware of something we are not
Got to ask yourself why do they think there's a problem

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Valid point you make PHD and agree with a lot of what you say
I don't worry about the risk I tend to be more a half full than half empty type of person
I have read numerous reports about these incidences from credible individuals, not sure exactly how it is done and accept there is various organisations who believe it's not possible, however these same people have been wrong in the past and am sure will be in the future we are still learning NO one knows everything.
I find it hard to believe that, even considering drink and driving for a long time (both of which I have done, not at the same time) for someone to break into a very small space half of which you sleep in and all this in the dark open various draws/cupboards without being heard
This is why I believe some kind of gas has been used, however it's done, some people have indicated the police don't want to investigate, why wouldn't they ?, surely it wouldn't be in there interest not to I also think the french police are just as competent as our own police force and they seem to indicate there is reason to believe gassing is an reasonable explanation with some evidence to support this theory
Can you please point me in the direct of these credible individuals? I appreciate that YOU believe it is pretty much impossible for someone to break into a MH and rob it with the occupants fast asleep but this has been happening for yonks, and many years before anyone suggested 'gassing' ... if people can be robbed in their own home with intruders taking stuff from their bedroom they are sleeping in then I don't understand why you can't believe this is possible in a MH?

To give you an example of how easy it is to move around near to someone without waking them, my husband has been working this week registering students for their University courses, quite intense work but just a normal length working day (approx 7 hours). Last night at around 8.00 pm he'd went to bed with the bedroom door open, and despite me pottering around, the dogs jumping up/down off the same bed, the TV being on in the lounge with the door open occasionally, and me then finally going to bed, he slept soundly, not stirring once - he had only had ONE can of low alcohol beer, so by your 'thoughts' this shouldn't have been possible ... but it was and as I said previously I can do the same in our camper and actually have to climb over him to get in/out of the bed! Now, do you believe this me when I tell you this happened or not?

Reactions: PHD

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back