Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I'm confused, are we initially talking PIG manure as you commented that COW manure was more fragrant?

We didn't do pig farming, just a few for our own consumption BUT the only two, large scale, ways of PIG farming I have seen in the UK is, OUTDOORS, which produces little spreadable manure or INDOOR that, usually, is on hard flooring and produces slurry?

Tell me more? 🤔
Well I'm no expert but we have both Cow and Pig manure spread in our adjacent fields. The only difference is the smell. As far as I can see based on my sisters farm her pigs are farrowed indoors in pens with straw bedding and it appears that is the stuff our farmers around me are flinging with abandon and compared to cow dung it hums Bigly!!!!!!

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Put out sunflower hearts and you should become popular with greenfinches, goldfinches and even some bullfinches!
Yes, but put them somewhere high up or you will get more rodents than birds.

Sad thing about feeding the birds, you tend to inadverdantly feed the rats/mice as well.

OP
OP
Hawkstone
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes, but put them somewhere high up or you will get more rodents than birds.

Sad thing about feeding the birds, you tend to inadverdantly feed the rats/mice as well.
Very true…they find the dropped seeds too. My neighbour has one under her summer house…I saw it dive back under my fence. Have sealed the gap but will see what happens.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Back to hedges.

There is a wing mirror graveyard south of Street, on the road to Ilchester.

This was the result of the storm just before Easter. We did return that way and found the cracked mirror, but not the underside.

1000004284.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hawkstone
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not putting a photo because I am so p****d off. Further to my initial post we hit a bloody protruding bush/branch around the Midhurst area. Hubby was not too far left either. It pushed the whole thing in so I had to stick my hand out of the window to put it back. Anyway, on inspection just now on arriving home….bloody great hole in the back. Bloody furious. This wasn’t a lack of hedge cutting, this was blatant ignoring of all the sticking out branches on our roads. Just looking at prices now….blimey :oops: :oops::oops:

OP
OP
Hawkstone
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Too often can’t see the road signage now due to overgrown hedgerows.

Good excuse or get off a speeding fine maybe 😜😜
There was a set of traffic lights yesterday on the A272 that were completely obscured on the left by overgrown branches. It was one of those single lane stretches and luckily there were a set on the right as well although they had foliage beginning to grow and cover them up. Very dangerous if you had to stop sharpish. :mad:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is a screenshot of an email I had last week , I can't show the whole thing as it as my rpa details on it but you will get the gist of it, you have not only got to not cut hedges but you have got to leave a metre either side uncut.
Mental I know but it's the law.
Screenshot_20240603-073648.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Back to hedges.

There is a wing mirror graveyard south of Street, on the road to Ilchester.

This was the result of the storm just before Easter. We did return that way and found the cracked mirror, but not the underside.

View attachment 901683
I have had my new van less than a month and already the near side mirror has taken a big hit from a protruding broken branch (A381 in the South Hams). Fortunately I have already fitted Mirrorguards which are made of crash helmet material and there was no damage. I think that £140 was a good investment and has probably saved me many £s.

OP
OP
Hawkstone
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have had my new van less than a month and already the near side mirror has taken a big hit from a protruding broken branch (A381 in the South Hams). Fortunately I have already fitted Mirrorguards which are made of crash helmet material and there was no damage. I think that £140 was a good investment and has probably saved me many £s.
I get the not cutting hedges for the wildlife etc but there is so much protruding debris around. Partly fallen tree from storms, branches from lazy hacking and no removal and some huge hard bushes that actually overhang the carriageway. Some would definitely take the eye out of a motorcyclist or cyclist if they didn’t see it. Small foliage isn’t a problem.
Mirror guards on my shopping list….after we have replaced the wing mirror :X3:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm 66 and as a kid saw a number of different spreaders. The chain spreader was the one I was impressed with as a kid. It looked and sounded so dangerous. And if the muck was a bit wet, anyone anywhere near it got some. :D
When we first moved into this house (1986) the field next to us was arible if the farmer got over zealous with his much spreading the house got sprayed as well. Previous owner once got a broken window.
It's been grazing land for the last 30 years thank goodness.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back