May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Klaus.jpg

German Sidecar driver Klaus Enders, six-time FIM Sidecar Grand Prix World Champion between 1967 and 1974, passed away on 20 January 2019, at the age of 82, following a long illness.

From left to right - Ralf Engelhardt & Klaus Enders in 1972- © FIM ArchiveFrom left to right - Ralf Engelhardt & Klaus Enders in 1972- © FIM Archive © Photos FIM Archive - 1972 passenger Ralf Engelhardt & Driver Klaus Enders© Photos FIM Archive - 1972 passenger Ralf Engelhardt & Driver Klaus EndersPreviousNext
Born on 2 May 1937 in Wetzlar, Germany, he started his racing career in 1960, in the 500cc solo as well as in the Sidecar class. In 1963 he was German Junior champion in the 500cc class, and in 1964 while fighting for the German 500cc Championship title he crashed in the last race on the Avus circuit. He then decided to go Sidecar racing. With passenger Reinhold Manischeff, he clinched his first World Championship points with a fourth place at Spa-Francorchamps.

Then he was fourth again at the TT with Ralf Engelhardt as passenger. 1967 was the first year of success for the team, with five wins and a first title. In 1969 Enders/Engelhardt took their second title by winning a fight against Helmut Fath at the last race in Northern Ireland. At the end of the 1970 season, after a third World crown with five race wins (two of them with passenger Wolfgang Kallauch), he decided to retire and to go car racing, but less than a year later he was back to Sidecar racing and, with his usual passenger Ralf Engelhardt, won three more World Championships (72 to 74 inclusive). He clinched altogether 27 Grand Prix wins in his career.

The FIM community, led by President Jorge Viegas, extends its sincere condolences to Klaus Enders’ family and friends.

FIM Communication
klaus1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
German Sidecar driver Klaus Enders, six-time FIM Sidecar Grand Prix World Champion between 1967 and 1974, passed away on 20 January 2019, at the age of 82, following a long illness.

From left to right - Ralf Engelhardt & Klaus Enders in 1972- © FIM ArchiveFrom left to right - Ralf Engelhardt & Klaus Enders in 1972- © FIM Archive © Photos FIM Archive - 1972 passenger Ralf Engelhardt & Driver Klaus Enders© Photos FIM Archive - 1972 passenger Ralf Engelhardt & Driver Klaus EndersPreviousNext
Born on 2 May 1937 in Wetzlar, Germany, he started his racing career in 1960, in the 500cc solo as well as in the Sidecar class. In 1963 he was German Junior champion in the 500cc class, and in 1964 while fighting for the German 500cc Championship title he crashed in the last race on the Avus circuit. He then decided to go Sidecar racing. With passenger Reinhold Manischeff, he clinched his first World Championship points with a fourth place at Spa-Francorchamps.

Then he was fourth again at the TT with Ralf Engelhardt as passenger. 1967 was the first year of success for the team, with five wins and a first title. In 1969 Enders/Engelhardt took their second title by winning a fight against Helmut Fath at the last race in Northern Ireland. At the end of the 1970 season, after a third World crown with five race wins (two of them with passenger Wolfgang Kallauch), he decided to retire and to go car racing, but less than a year later he was back to Sidecar racing and, with his usual passenger Ralf Engelhardt, won three more World Championships (72 to 74 inclusive). He clinched altogether 27 Grand Prix wins in his career.

The FIM community, led by President Jorge Viegas, extends its sincere condolences to Klaus Enders’ family and friends.

FIM Communication
I remember him well along with all the other German chair men. What would sidecar racing be like without their massive enthusiasm during the '60s?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My dad was a avid follower of the sport and used to drag me to sum of the recess knock hill and sum down south I cant remember as I was so young.
Remember bing right next to the track when something went wrong and the thing hit the bank right in front of me flying right over my head and my dad's and I pissed my shelf.
I was walked past the remans of the rig and a covered up corps.
my mother band me from going to any more
bill
RIP to a grate sports man Klaus Enders’

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
So,so sad.
All these hero’s we watched as kids,the above Fritz Scheidegger and others,so many gone.
Cruel sport but it’s what it is,I see it every year marshalling at the TT.
Know the Dunlop’s and felt their pain.
Not sure I will go again,for a while.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
They were all friendly and gentlemen even on the track with their chairs on the wrong side you had to be careful especially on right handers rip

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Saw him race many times, was a golden age for sure.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Barry Dungworth from Sheffield was a contemporary of Klaus in the early 70's
Barry was an electrician through the winter off season and my 'man' when I was an apprentice electrician.
I would listen avidly to his tales of the GP circus and stories of the crack and carry on of the riders and my hero's like SMBH

barry-dungworth-n-caddow-1972-500-sidecar-tt-5511509.jpg

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Also lost Nigel Rollason this week, suddenly,it appears. One of the stalwarts of the 70's sidecar scene.

OP
OP
Enword

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Also lost Nigel Rollason this week, suddenly,it appears. One of the stalwarts of the 70's sidecar scene.
Good solo & sidecar racer, RIP Nigel Rollason

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back