Travelord

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Hi.help wanted! Got a new camera to replace 10yrs old knackered one. Monitor is Ok. Problem... Old connection was a 4 pin mini din. 1 red. 1 yellow.1 blue. 1 copper covered white wire. But the new 4 pin screw in is 2xblack 2 x red and 1 yellow.
So is there a possible combination to get it to work... Thanks all

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
I got all my reverse camera cables from Broken Link Removed might be worth giving them a call, stuff I ordered arrived within 2 days & not bad prices.

OP
OP
Travelord

Travelord

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Thanks. Cable already fitted in the motorhome. Just need connect the camera to it ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is unlikely that there is an adapter but try phoning as Rob said.
Best option would be buying a compatible camera.

If you had Pinout diagrams for both cables you could cut the plugs off and join them but I guess you don't.

OP
OP
Travelord

Travelord

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Well I have cut the plugs off, both 4 pin but wires differ as listed. So I ask myself do I just match colours and pray, but an odd white, extra red and black confused me, which is easily done. Need an electricIan lol

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
One pair is power the other video, if you get them crossed you will have possible damage.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi don't know if this will help but if you have just bought the camera does it not indicate which wires serve which purpose or could you contact the seller to find out... from memory the only really important bit is to make sure the power supply is connected to the power supply to the camera... if you can establish the power feed to the camera you can check your existing wiring for its power supply and make sure that bit is right...then yellow to yellow and the grounds joined... don't think the white will matter unless you want sound..
just important not to guess the power side as that will bugger the camera if you get it wrong.
ta andy

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
When I did my camera I had to get a 4 pin screw to RCA adapter to go into my Pioneer head unit, which I use as the monitor for the 5th wheel, you might have to get one of those, the another from RCA to din, sorry forget that, you've already cut the plugs off, as Techno said a pin out diagram would make things easy, don't try matching the colours I tried that once with a camera (I had found the diagram on the internet from a supposedly kosher source, so assumed it to be correct) the camera never worked & I later found an amended wiring diagram which contradicted the first! It was an expensive lesson.

OP
OP
Travelord

Travelord

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Put yellow to yellow, which meant to be video,red to red, meant to be power, and black to black,but no picture...
Ah well, will just have to not reverse lol ...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I ruined a camera doing this.. fully expected the yellow to be the video as said.. that is the industry standard.. but it was wrong !
Simple answer is to turn on the voltage feed and using a multi meter see what goes live ( the earths will be obvious :) )
On all new cameras I have dealt with in the past 5 years the yellow IS the video.. so you can, with some confidence, connect up the rest :)

OP
OP
Travelord

Travelord

Free Member
Oct 27, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Ok thanks for all the advice. And it's getting very windy out there ...

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if you get the power supply to camera right it will at least come to life, with a blue screen possibly. if that's not happening you have not got power to camera. the other wires and outer sheaths I would connect using colours as a guide and if nothing happens with a picture try an earth in with the video wires (ie yellow)... if the power is right I don't think you can do any damage by trying different combinations...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back