Restube: Co2 inflated safety buoyancy aid (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Saw this and thought it might be interesting to those that like to be on/around water. My girls spend hours out on their paddle boards but always seem to forget their life jackets… with this i might be able to convince them.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Saw this and thought it might be interesting to those that like to be on/around water. My girls spend hours out on their paddle boards but always seem to forget their life jackets… with this i might be able to convince them.

In my humble opinion, for what it is worth I think you should "make sure" they ALWAYS have a life jacket on..... even if it does makes you the "Big Ogre"..
There is absolutely no alternative for a proper life jacket when out on the open water. Especially with the modern light weight, you don't even know you are wearing one, that are now available..👍

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Might be good to Take on-board Brittany Ferries Chinese Sisters

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
In my humble opinion, for what it is worth I think you should "make sure" they ALWAYS have a life jacket on..... even if it does makes you the "Big Ogre"..
There is absolutely no alternative for a proper life jacket when out on the open water. Especially with the modern light weight, you don't even know you are wearing one, that are now available..👍
I concur 100%, alas we regularly get tasked to water incidents. A life jacket is the difference between us being able to get there and immediately assist or us getting there and not being able to find them under the water.

My boys are just the same, hate wearing them. The rule is no life jacket, no board and I get a lot of stick for it.

The thing you linked to also looks fairly unhelpful. Often when people get into difficulty all they concentrate on is staying afloat, trying to find a ripcord when you are drowning won’t go well. They also require an annual inspection and service making them more expensive than a bouyancy aid over the lifetime of the product.

A full life jacket is best, closely followed by a well fitted bouyancy aid.

I can recount numerous tragedies I have attended so I am happy to be the miserable safety one and apologies to be so negative.

Proper water safety gear saves lives, it’s that simple.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years

God forbid they have a problem. I think with respect you are being far to complacent. You have posted with good intention but offer very bad advice . i have been tasked to several drownings. could have been a different outcome if they had proper jackets.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Not entirely sure what it’s supposed to do? If it has to be activated by the wearer it’s not really a life jacket, if it automatically inflates on immersion it’s not really suitable as a buoyancy aid.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Not entirely sure what it’s supposed to do? If it has to be activated by the wearer it’s not really a life jacket, if it automatically inflates on immersion it’s not really suitable as a buoyancy aid.
Yes indeed..... looks like they have to blow it up....
So you get hit by big wave.. come off your board.... go underwater.... and blow up your life saver?????. May have miss read the video but I don't see that these are any differant to the armbands or rubber ring the kids wore when learning to swim...
If so totally useless and misguiding.
IMO dangerous and should be banned.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I suppose it for if you lose your board, for example. And you are starting to struggle, inflate and wait !.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I suppose it for if you lose your board, for example. And you are starting to struggle, inflate and wait !.
If you are struggling.. you probably also panicking.. not the best place, treading water to try and blow up your safety device.... Would not happen with proper life jacket
Now confused... yes it does seen they are indeed self inflating.... also by blowing up...
However to auto inflate still requires user interaction which does not make them suitable as a life saving aid..
So big wave knocks you off your board and board hits you in head and you unconscious.... who activates your life saver..
Sorry to keep going on but I have seen too many water incidents..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If I understand their purpose it seems to be a buoyancy aid when you lost/come off your board or other, or perhaps fallen in. What they propose is that this device can help you stay afloat in that situation. In the promo it shows quite a few people doing high activity water sports where it’s very rare to see users with life jackets due to the movement required, windsurfing, kite boarding etc.

There’s perhaps also a thought of better have one of these than nothing at all although can’t agree more that’s nothing like having buoyancy or life jacket, if you feel one is required then that’s what you should wear.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looking at the website it can be manually inflated to use as a tow float or pillow on the beach or by a lanyard with a co2 cyl as a buoyancy aid ( presumably separate chambers) it's really compact compared to a lifejacket. I wear a lifejacket every time I sail and wouldn't bother with one of these. But if it's nothing or one of these maybe it has a use. I can see why it might appeal to youngsters more style conscious than me. Maybe whats needed is a range of stylish life jackets!

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
There's buoyancy aids (like wot most dinghy sailors, canoeists and SUP riders wear), lifejackets (like wot most yachties and power boaters wear) and then inflatable toys that might keep you afloat. The differences? Bouyancy aids are neat and tidy and should keep you afloat but aren't so wonderful of you happen to have knocked yourself out on the way in to the water as they won't reliably keep you floating on your back. Life jackets (at least most) are designed to do that and are probably the safest option but can be a tad bulky for active sports. Also if you have the auto inflating type, not the best thing for sports where you might get seriously wet as part of the activity. . . .

Inflatable toys are just that - floaty things you can hang on to and maybe better than nothing. I wonder what category the Restube comes in . . . .

In the end, the RNLI mantra "Life jackets - useless unless worn" applies to whatever you are doing on the water.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
There's buoyancy aids (like wot most dinghy sailors, canoeists and SUP riders wear), lifejackets (like wot most yachties and power boaters wear) and then inflatable toys that might keep you afloat. The differences? Bouyancy aids are neat and tidy and should keep you afloat but aren't so wonderful of you happen to have knocked yourself out on the way in to the water as they won't reliably keep you floating on your back. Life jackets (at least most) are designed to do that and are probably the safest option but can be a tad bulky for active sports. Also if you have the auto inflating type, not the best thing for sports where you might get seriously wet as part of the activity. . . .

Inflatable toys are just that - floaty things you can hang on to and maybe better than nothing. I wonder what category the Restube comes in . . . .

In the end, the RNLI mantra "Life jackets - useless unless worn" applies to whatever you are doing on the water.
Change most to some. The RNLI would be more than pleased to give advice on which type of jacket to buy.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I designed and manufactured in Cornwall the 'Jon Buoy' range of inflatable marine man-overboard equipment which had to meet rigorous performance standards. I can't access the promotional literature of the flotation units at the mo but here's a couple of casual snaps of the prototype Dan Buoy and the recovery raft which also had an integral lifting sling.
Jon Buoy dan buoy.JPG

Jon Buoy promo Callington.JPG

The units featured by the OP would help rescuers to spot them but a proper and secure life saving jacket or harness will also give rescuers something to grab to lift the casualty from the water.

I think that Wild Swimmers use that sort of flotation bag and Jenben has posted photos of her and her mermaid chums with them.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I swim in lakes and the sea and always use a tow float, the lake I swim at regularly doesn’t allow us to enter the water without one , it causes some ructions on the fb group but it’s a safety and insurance requirement. A recent swim holiday I went on ( November in Cornwall) it was a requirement , here we all are below .

09827774-51F4-4AAE-AEA0-FC7A0638EDBA.jpeg

When I paddleboard I always wear a personal floatation device, again where I sup it’s a requirement and I have seen enough episodes of ‘saving lives at sea’ to realise how easy it is to get into trouble on open water.

61406E7A-B3A0-4A7D-982A-050BF0FF87E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There are better versions of those around the waist flotation aids that inflate more like a full buoyancy aid.

I must admit I go out on my paddleboard without any buoyancy aid, like most paddleboarders I look at the board that I'm attached to as my buoyancy aid. When it's cold I do wear a wetsuit which is a pretty good buoyancy aid. Paddleboarding by its nature is a calm water sport so not as dangerous as other water sports.
I know I should know better especially as I've spent a large part of my life sailing dinghies.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
We started with some bouyancy aids on our canoe, they are fine but a bit bulky so we have ended up with a pair or crewsaver 165n's which are much less bulky, either in manual or auto, we have manual ones.

9710NBA---Navy.700x700.jpg

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back