restoring/refurbishing wire storage rack (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
we have a cupboard with pull out wooden shelves with metal support as in
1575655767938.png
the right hand one in this photo the metal is rusty in places and looks unsightly think it is more the chrome that has come off rather than anything else. Suggestions please on how to make it look better.
Have tried closing the door, but I know it is there ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have tried closing the door, but I know it is there ;)
:rofl:
It depends on how good a job you want to do ... you could simply remove it, give it a good going over with a wire brush and sand it, then spray paint it or use tinned Hammerite, but if it has pieces missing you're not gonna get a smooth finish again short of all the chrome effect covering being removed first which I guess you won't be able to do yourself so could prove expensive.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Google “chrome plating” for your area, there may be a few in you area that does it.... just take out the basket and go to them for a quote it’s not that expensive....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
had thought of hammerite once did a gas fire with it to match my decor xroll:
Have tried to get the screws out but have failed so far will give them a good soak with WD40 and have another go. don't really want to drill them out but might have to as that area is very difficult to clean.
Can't rely on John he still hasn't fitted my shelves in the house 10+ years after I bought them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
had thought of hammerite once did a gas fire with it to match my decor xroll:
Have tried to get the screws out but have failed so far will give them a good soak with WD40 and have another go. don't really want to drill them out but might have to as that area is very difficult to clean.
Can't rely on John he still hasn't fitted my shelves in the house 10+ years after I bought them.
Could you put a container inside the rack so that they don't get so mucky? Or make a cover with 'pockets' which go into each section?

In our Carthago the top drawer under the sink is shallow and has 4 cubbies in it, you can just see them in this photo off the web. Each cubby is roughly 3 inches wide x 8 inches long and 2.5 inches high, I've lined the side of each one with thin plastic from a chopping board/place mat with tape over the top to keep the pieces in place and also protect the top edges. In the bottom of each I cut anti-slip matting to fit snugly, the sort without holes in though so it can't let crumbs etc underneath. My doing this should protect the cubbies so I don't have to worry about damaging/marking them and also that the contents don't rattle around.

We also have a bin in the bottom drawer which at first I thought was a waste of space but when I removed the bit I found that at either side of it there are storage cubbies which are ideal for storing bin bags etc ... they would also make a good hiding place for stuff (not that I've used them for that!).

1575658653083.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Now come on Sue, you're letting the side down ... get your drill out and put them up yourself! :giggle:

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Now come on Sue, you're letting the side down ... get your drill out and put them up yourself! :giggle:
Would have done but he threw mine out when he tidied the garage, (it was ancient and probably defunct) and he keeps reminding me it is HIS house. might sneak in, borrow his and do it myself.
Best christmas present i got was when i got that drill and jigsaw set. but it must be about 30 years ago :xrofl: :xrofl:

Sep 6, 2019
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Frontier
Exp
since 2015
Does ikea or one of the DiY shops keep anything similar?? Or something that you could adapt ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this sounds stupid, but clean the rust away with cocacola and the wax the metal to prevent further rust. not diet or cheap own brand, proper coke. it eats the rust away in seconds
people use it on classic car chromework

have you seen what it does if you put an old tarnished copper coin in a small amount of coke?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Clean rust off with autosol. It will remove it all, and Is very easy to use. It’s what lots of collectors use on classic bikes and cars. About £3 for a tube.

Apr 27, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
a-classs
Exp
Clean rust off with autosol. It will remove it all, and Is very easy to use. It’s what lots of collectors use on classic bikes and cars. About £3 for a tube.
Where are you buying autosol for rust removal from
Is it the same as autosol metal polish

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Not long had our AT slide out basket setup thingy sand blasted & powder coated because of rust, looks great now & for good measure I replaced the old runner's for some nice roller runners, that didn't work quite as well though, I'm going to have to fit a stop now as they slide out trying to force the door open ?

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Search Google for "polishing chrome with kitchen foil" Might be worth a try.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Have had a good look at the bottom one and taken it apart, it is not chromed as I thought, but appears to be pitted steel. Went over it with wet and dry and got rid of most of the rust. Now to decide what colour hammerite to use. John does have some grey in the garage though so will probably use that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back