Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm ever so slightly annoyed.

I've carried replacement gas struts around with me for three years (a set blew on me once and I've carried spares ever since) and I decided to replace the old ones with the new ones today in the hope that lifting the bed might be easier on the old back.

Turns out the replacements I've been lugging around for the last three years are the wrong ones.

It's a good job my ex husband is nowhere to be seen or he'd currently be wearing them as a Prince Albert.

The thirty years old struts have lost their sticky label with the model number so the only thing I have to go on are the dimensions and s photograph or two.

Anyone know where I can buy replacements with only the measurements and photograph?

In the meantime I'll put the old knackered ones back on....

Ever so slightly annoyed....

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you! I shall buy you a pastel de nata when I see you.
PS. The difference new ones make is huge.

I'll think of that when I'm struggling to get it up tonight!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I'm ever so slightly annoyed.

It's a good job my ex husband is nowhere to be seen or he'd currently be wearing them as a Prince Albert.

Now THAT made me laugh out loud :roflmto: literally and made Swmbo jump out of her skin!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Guessing he was a big boy then :D as I'm guessing the struts are a reasonable size :)

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
What sort of job is it fitting these on a RHD Hymer (only the sliding window on nearside) please

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
What sort of job is it fitting these on a RHD Hymer (only the sliding window on nearside) please

You can pay money to get it done but it's really not a hard job (if you have the right gas struts).

There used to be a comprehensive guide on the web somewhere showing how to do it. Sadly I can't point you in the right direction but I'm sure a search of YouTube might bring something up.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
You can pay money to get it done but it's really not a hard job (if you have the right gas struts).

There used to be a comprehensive guide on the web somewhere showing how to do it. Sadly I can't point you in the right direction but I'm sure a search of YouTube might bring something up.
If it's a later than 2006 model it is very much more difficult because of access problems.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
This may be of help? (not done by me)

Pull Down Bed Gas Strut Replacement

"WARNING THESE STRUTS HAVE VERY HIGH PRESSURE RAMS"
This procedure can be done by a competent DIYer
To replace a gas strut it is very important to make sure that there is no residual pressure on the locating pins. To achieve this, the bed must be set and held as high as possible, using the travel strap. I found it easier if the bed was emptied including the mattress.
The split pins were then removed and the strut checked that it was fully extended by being loose on the location pins. I then carefully removed the drum end, pointing to the back of the van first. This to ensure that if there is any residual pressure remaining, the strut it would be travelling away from the windscreen. The new strut was then fitted in the same position and split pins re-located to secure the strut before lowering the bed.
I was able to do the above from the inside of the van, but some may find it as easy to do the above from outside by leaning through the driver's door and the sliding window.
I would recommend that both struts are changed. It is sod's law that you will remove the stronger strut first.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Excuse me for the question, but being as I am a shy retiring type who has lived a very sheltered 'naive' life ... what is 'a Prince Albert'? I don't want to risk googling it as I did that the other day looking for something and got an unexpected 'surprise' and don't need that sort of 'education' again!
:D

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Excuse me for the question, but being as I am a shy retiring type who has lived a very sheltered 'naive' life ... what is 'a Prince Albert'? I don't want to risk googling it as I did that the other day looking for something and got an unexpected 'surprise' and don't need that sort of 'education' again!
:D

Male Genital Piercings

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@Minxy Girl it was allegedly a piece of jewellery worn by Prince Albert in his manhood :D

Maybe for the gratification of Queen Vic :D

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We changed our gas struts, lessons we have learned.
1/ It's a tricky job, gave up and got our garage to do it.
2/ The original Hymer mattress is generally lighter than any replacement, therefore replacement standard struts may not make much of an improvement.
3/ Storing extra stuff on the drop down bed all puts pressure on the struts.
4/ Sgs Engineering also sell stronger struts, with hindsight that would have been a better decision!!
5/ In fairness to them they have offered to uprate ours which brings us back to point 1!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We got our new gas struts from SGS at Derby, if you take the old ones in they will match them by size and you can have stronger ones if you require, it is quite a hard job to fix, but perseverance is needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back