Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi,
Ive seen posts by members having just got Renogy Inverters, incl 2000w one. Other than reservations about post delivery Customer care I haven’t seen any comments on their performance in actual use. Has anyone any experience, good or bad about them? Price looks good and the Victron etc are a bit more than I want to invest.
tkk

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
We've had a 2000w Reongy inverter fitted for a year now. We have 230amps of lithium to power it. We use it for a 1100w kettle, 1000w hairdryer and a Remoska, as well as charging various other 230V items. The only issue is the supplied cables for connecting to the battery are not much good, so be prepared to make up your own. We only use the sockets on the inverter and haven't tried the auto mains selector, so cannot comment on that, but otherwise all works fine. It comes with a remote control as well, which is an optional extra on some.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Just fitted a Renogy 2000w inverter in a PVC
Didn't think the 1000w was big enough and my batteries (2 X AGM 200 AH ) are probably not big enough for 3000w
Had to fit it against the passenger seat base to avoid a long run of cables
The cable supplied can be used as they now send two sets which you can double up

I put a 1200w hair dryer on to test it
cool it draws 25 amp
warm 50 amps
and hot 100 amps

Aparently we don’t use it on hot so all is good 😎

FB1B9DCC-04B8-4CDA-869A-ED490CFF4BC9.jpeg 195C804D-C2A1-4F71-AFB8-5A0FAAFCDDF0.jpeg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was looking at one of those but I think they are just a little too long to get in the only space I have. Can anybody who has one tell me the full length in use please, i.e. including the 12v connectors on the back and plugs on the front. The only length Renogy gives appears to be just the length of the main body.

Many thanks

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I fitted one yesterday and connected it direct through the mains 230 volt system so it powers all the existing sockets etc. Tested and appears to be working well. Going away next week so it will get a full user test.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
peterc10 Dimensions: 17.4 x 8.66x 3.62in (442 x 220x 92mm) That's for the 2000w, I will probably pop into the van later today so will measure it to include the 12v connections.
Thanks, that's the info on the Renogy site. It is going to be so tight I need to also take the thickness of the plug on the front into account!

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I fitted one yesterday and connected it direct through the mains 230 volt system so it powers all the existing sockets etc. Tested and appears to be working well. Going away next week so it will get a full user test.
Is that how the UPS works? I thought it just provides mains power to the sockets on the inverter when you are on EHU.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Is that how the UPS works? I thought it just provides mains power to the sockets on the inverter when you are on EHU.
If you provide mains TO the inverter it will prioritise EHU mains and route it to its outlet, if that makes sense, so on the outlet of the inverter (which the funster has connected to his van outlets ) can supply either.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
peterc10 From end to end it's 442 mm including the plastic treminal insulation caps but you need access one end for the plug and to turn it off and on, there is a remote switch for the controls included. Looking at the other end the terminals come straight out, I used 35mm Cable and needed 50mm to bend it through 90d for routing purposes.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you provide mains TO the inverter it will prioritise EHU mains and route it to its outlet, if that makes sense, so on the outlet of the inverter (which the funster has connected to his van outlets ) can supply either.
But that assumes that all of the outlets have been rerouted into the 2 plugs on the inverter. And it will be difficult to do, because you have to separate out the charger (or you will have a charging loop), the electric heating element (which will flatten the batteries in no time) and the fridge. My present inverter set up has an independent set of wired in plugs added and working only on the inverter. One of the appeals of the Remogy is that these can be fed directly when on EHU. And the other appeal is that it is a pure sine wave, allegedly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And it will be difficult to do, because you have to separate out the charger (or you will have a charging loop), the electric heating element (which will flatten the batteries in no time) and the fridge
Easy to do on a Hymer Peter all the mains connections are on Wago plugs & sockets, so easy to unplug and re-route,the connector blocks are easily available.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Correct

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
peterc10 From end to end it's 442 mm including the plastic treminal insulation caps but you need access one end for the plug and to turn it off and on, there is a remote switch for the controls included. Looking at the other end the terminals come straight out, I used 35mm Cable and needed 50mm to bend it through 90d for routing purposes.
Thanks Dane. I have about 485mm maximum. Putting the 240v plugs in and working the switch would not be done often and that would be OK, because they face an external locker door, which I can open to get to them. But, as I suspected, those 12v terminals would be the problem, because they have the cable sticking out. My existing inverter has the terminals lying flat so the 12v cables does not add any more length. Unless I could jury rig something, but not too keen when dealing with 150 amps!

Easy to do on a Hymer Peter all the mains connections are on Wago plugs & sockets, so easy to unplug and re-route,the connector blocks are easily available.
Yep Lenny I know that and I have even got a Wago spare plug, and a socket or did until I used it to provide another mains socket for the Victron IP22 charger. And I got that because I disconnected one of the existing 240v sockets at the Wago block and wired it into the inverter. That was relatively simple to do. Also at that time I did not want all of the plugs to be run on modified sine wave for obvious reasons.

But you need to know that your "easy to do" does not necessarily apply to most of us other human beings :rofl::rofl:

Had the 2000. For a year connected to the van 240 v system no problem whatsoever.
Renogy recommend minimum 200 kw h battery’s for there 2000w inverter and 300kwh for
The 3000 unit.
I have 2 x 120 Ah LiFePo4 batteries. And I do not need the 3000W. In fact I could probably cope with a 1500W one, but Renogy doesn't do one.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Exp
We use a 1000 watt Renogy in our caravan linked to a single 120amp AGM battery
It powers the wife’s low wattage hairdryer and will easily boil the low wattage kettle we use for abroad
Handy for making a cuppa when stopping on the side of the road without the need of gas
As other have said the supplied cables were to short so we sourced some 2ft cable to reach the battery compartment
8FED9BDC-CF77-44E5-BC06-2DC086649411.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It powers the wife’s low wattage hairdryer and will easily boil the low wattage kettle we use for abroad
Handy for making a cuppa when stopping on the side of the road without the need of gas
As other have said the supplied cables were to short so we sourced some 2ft cable to reach the battery compartment View attachment 728946
That's good way of killing a battery. You need at least 3 batteries for those loads.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Exp
That's good way of killing a battery. You need at least 3 batteries for those loads.
Lenny it’s never killed the battery yet
Mind you we only occasionally use the inverter and to date it seems to be holding up .
I know it will probe shorten its life but I’m not to bothered

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have had a Renogy 2000w inverter for the last 2 years and so far it has worked really well, would definitely use again if we had a need.

Their customer services and return process is however appalling, it arrived with a broken foot so we were unable to fix it down securely. We did manage to send it back and get a refund but it took weeks. We bought another one from Amazon whilst waiting to return the first, so that we could get on, finish the install and put the van garage back together. It was also cheaper from Amazon, despite using Renogy discount code from one of their endless sale promotions.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
You did alright on your Lithium install it was very neat & tidy.
OOOOO, is that like a star from teacher. :rofl:

peterc10 Are you aware of right angled crimps? I may help with the tight space.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22444223...d=link&campid=5338547443&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
I wasn't up until now ;)(y)

But I want to keep the existing cables as they are very good. Instead of one stiff cable they have used 4 x 10mm2 flexible cables with a large crimp at each end. Still will look into it. But I haven't got equipment to make anywhere near a 35mm crimp joint.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But I want to keep the existing cables as they are very good. Instead of one stiff cable they have used 4 x 10mm2 flexible cables with a large crimp at each end. Still will look into it. But I haven't got equipment to make anywhere near a 35mm crimp joint.
You know where I am if you need some cables crimping.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
The ups enabled one on allows ehu through..takes a few seconds then kicks in.

I've ran one for 16 months and works a treat

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry, but another question please for all you Renogy 2000W inverter users. How noisy are the fans? Ours is under a seating unit and is quite loud inside the motorhome.
I hear it when Im using kettle or micro after a while, but wouldnt say its noisy. Mine is also under the seat and Ive added a vent hear it

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

But I want to keep the existing cables as they are very good. Instead of one stiff cable they have used 4 x 10mm2 flexible cables with a large crimp at each end. Still will look into it. But I haven't got equipment to make anywhere near a 35mm crimp join

Crimping… this works a treat

1B9039E5-9ACA-4CA6-AA6C-C124256603E1.jpeg

OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
As other have said the supplied cables were to short so we sourced some 2ft cable to reach the battery compartment View attachment 728946
Hi
do you need to run an earth wire from the casing to chassis To deal with the A/C earth issue? What size cable would be suitable? I’m not particularly knowledgeable about this area of electrics so very open to advice
ta
tk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back