Renault master (1 Viewer)

Woffy21

Free Member
Jul 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Just converted a Renault master into a campervan, dvla will not register it as a campervan because it still looks like a mini bus from the outside even though I’ve got tinted rear windows, curtains , external elec hookup and skylight fitted, they gave me a letter to be carried at all times with the log book in case I get stopped, when first thought of converting I rang them and they said once work is done, send relevant photos and they will change the details on the log book, this has turned into a bit of a nightmare, any suggestions?

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Cover some of the windows over with vinyl and put a few fancy graphics on the side?. Remove when registered

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I thought the essence of converting a van to a motorhome was in the contents, not the exterior. There is a list of certain things that must be done e.g. fixed sleeping and cooking arrangements - so no throwing a mattress on the floor and sticking a portable Camping Gaz stove in!. Do you have a DVLA (?) vehicle (HGV/bus) test centre anywhere near you? I've heard that in the case of uncertainty the subject vehicle can be inspected there to see if it complies with the DVLA requirements.

I'm sure someone who knows the minimum DVLA requirements will be along shortly. If you could explain what you've done, maybe provide a photo or two we could help more.

Oh yes, and what does this letter say? Not heard of that before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:
  • a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

OP
OP
W

Woffy21

Free Member
Jul 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
The letter is saying the inside is a motor home but outside is mini bus, can’t send photos at the moment as I’m at work

OP
OP
W

Woffy21

Free Member
Jul 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Renault master
Exp
Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:
  • a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.
It has all of the above dvla have had all the necessary photos.

Deleted User
The only time I have heard of someone getting refused, the DVLA would not give any specific reason which makes it difficult. Perhaps if you posted some photos on the forum then you may get some helpful suggestions.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DVLA desk jockey singing from a different hymn book than the rest of them. Happens all the time.
People have been told you can't do this, you can't do that, but they just reapply and all is sweet.
Just send everything back and you'll get your new logbook.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im still on a selfbuild forum and they are refusing almost all van conversion at the moment on grounds they dont look like motorhomes despite one being almost a copy of a dealers van .This did rear its head about 5 years ago with them only changing to van with windows,as usual swansea are saying its the police who want accurate descriptions .they also refuse to disclose what would make it a motorcaravan despite it meeting all the criteria they specify couple of boys have had real problems as they had 90 days to get change over done or their insurance was withdrawn

Deleted User
This is from the DVLA website

I did also hear of a refusal be the DVLA when all the requirements appeared to be met but there was no skill or care in how they were fitted and it simply did not look like a motor caravan as you would expect and it was in deed a very rough job.

This is also from the DVLA website

What you are trying to do is to provide clear evidence that what you have made is permanently a ‘motor caravan’ and that the furniture and fixings have been fitted to a satisfactory standard. You need to provide the DVLA with sufficient clear evidence in order for them to simply change the V5C and send it back to you.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The problem is that alot of people have been abusing the system, it was starting when we did ours, we were on some self build things and Facebook and folks on there were advocateing sending in photos of other vehicles that had been changed before and saying it was the one they were sending for, dvla aren't from another world they have obviously been reading these things , hard on genuine cases we know, but you will just have to persivere , can you ask them to inspect it in the flesh.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
when i was in the sbmc we had one bloke complaining they wouldn't reclassify so we asked for photos he had stuck axminster carpet to every wall and window , had a mattress on two pallets and two buckets

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
i would love to send a picture of a autotrail with the decals photoshopped out and the number plate of another similar van and see if they refused

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
when i was in the sbmc we had one bloke complaining they wouldn't reclassify so we asked for photos he had stuck axminster carpet to every wall and window , had a mattress on two pallets and two buckets
Yes I saw that and even the others on there were telling him he had no chance but he knew best.
Did he ever get it passed?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i would love to send a picture of a autotrail with the decals photoshopped out and the number plate of another similar van and see if they refused
Like your post mate but that's really the problem, photos can be of anything and sinse the closing of regional offices ,unless you live in South Wales you are a bit stuffed and in their hands

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You need to get it properly inspected by the DVLA (not called that anymore, some other alphabetical nonsense). Found it - DVSA, Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency. Look them up for a local inspection place; any bus or truck operator will tell you where the nearest is.

Deleted User
There is no mention on the DVLA website of having to get it inspected, all they ask for is photographic evidence and any other relevant information such as invoices etc.. I have looked on a self build forum and there have been several recent conversion accepted by the DVLA on the basis of photographic evidence.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I agree Borderland but the DVLA have rejected his photographic evidence. A visit to a test centre (DVSA) ought to give him some clues as to why - I believe that's where you need to go if registering a non type approved vehicle so they know the rules.

Deleted User
I don't know if the DVSA will carry out such an inspections and if they do then no doubt at some extortionist cost. If the original OP posted pictures of his conversion on this forum then he may get some useful suggestions and advice for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Just converted a Renault master into a campervan, dvla will not register it as a campervan because it still looks like a mini bus from the outside even though I’ve got tinted rear windows, curtains , external elec hookup and skylight fitted, they gave me a letter to be carried at all times with the log book in case I get stopped, when first thought of converting I rang them and they said once work is done, send relevant photos and they will change the details on the log book, this has turned into a bit of a nightmare, any suggestions?

we are a long way down the thread and tour 5free posts will soon run out
£ 15,00 membership fee will allow you a years wotth of help and banter
oh and by the way welcome to the fun

Gary Wrench

Free Member
May 4, 2018
Funster No
Reading a few forums about this currently and it seems VOSA are kicking up a fuss about what a van looks like from the outside , I’m guessing so that the Police know what speed you should be doing. So if it looks like a ‘van with side windows’ from the outside then that’s what you get. I got one back fine recently , I did point out all the motorhome stuff in pictures such as the onboard tank filler and drains, hook up flap, toilet door, had some naff graphics fitted which I planned to remove after approval (but haven’t got round to it!) plus usual internal pictures of beds/cupboards/cooker etc and one with the awning out and deckchairs etc. No problem back inside two weeks as ‘Motor Caravan’ , May have helped that it’s navy blue not white ?
Anyway.. another to get done in week or so, just waiting for the upholstery to come back and kitchen fit on Tuesday and I’ll send it off... no graphics as yet but it is a huge gold L4 H3 Boxer so let’s hope it’s fine . Their website says to send paperwork off when it’s very nearly finished so that it’s registered correctly by the time it’s done so I’ll list a couple of cupboards that still need doing plus graphics that havent been done yet.. if ever... but will say they will be done by finish date of ..... etc.
Gary

Attachments

• 7B7DD8F1-4F53-47CB-9C08-0ACD1086B3A6.jpeg
    7B7DD8F1-4F53-47CB-9C08-0ACD1086B3A6.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries