Remove Autotrail Tip Up Washbasin? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Any ideas please how to remove the flip down basin tray? I need to get into one side of it to renew a split mastic sealant.

Tried suggestions elsewhere that it could be removed at 45 degree angle but that doesn't seem right. No slots apparent behind the side pin hinges for it to slide out and pressing hard on the basin side doesn't give enough movement.

1000006965.jpg
1000006966.jpg
1000006967.jpg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Hi,

some people cut the pivot bar and then replace (there are replacement kits sold on the Facebook Autotrail V-line group). I managed to get it out by removing the two screws at the back on each size that hold the white mounting blocks to the wall - use one of these and you should be able to remove the screws with the sink tipped partly up - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09LMLVC9V/?tag=mhf04-21

I think I have some photos somewhere - will post if I can find them

chers,

Robin

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Here we go - this was a slightly different flexible bit holder, but I think I only got 3 screws out of the 4 out with the black one and needed the thinner silver sort for the last screw...

Robin

PXL_20230901_135759428.jpg

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I would have expected a way to just release the flip basin tray itself without need to release mountings from the wall. Sooner or later it's not unreasonable to expect something to drop down and need retrieval from the drain tray below, or simply that the outlet hole got gummed up and needs cleaning. Seems extreme to have to find ways to remove mountings, or buy replacement pins, just for something that should be cleanable. But then given that so much stuff in the van appears to be built without any thought of subsequent maintenance ....

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
I would have expected a way to just release the flip basin tray itself without need to release mountings from the wall. Sooner or later it's not unreasonable to expect something to drop down and need retrieval from the drain tray below, or simply that the outlet hole got gummed up and needs cleaning. Seems extreme to have to find ways to remove mountings, or buy replacement pins, just for something that should be cleanable. But then given that so much stuff in the van appears to be built without any thought of subsequent maintenance ....
You are being very optimistic.

The best bet is to fit the upgrade mentioned above which makes it easily removable. The bonus of this kit is that the sink can be adjusted so that you no longer get those annoying drips which run down in front of the drain if done carefully.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You are being too optimistic - see this thread from post #26 on with a reply from Autotrail

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
You are being too optimistic - see this thread from post #26 on with a reply from Autotrail
Hmm, thanks, unfortunately. Another example of Autotrail's being style so it looks great in the showroom

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Have now ordered the kit through someone on that v-line Facebook group. Thanks for the pointer as looks the best long term solution as will allow future maintenance access.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Kannon Fodda

I have the same sink and want to buy the kit too, any details or advice is welcome. Based in Harrow, London

Thanks

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
You need to join the Facebook Autotrail V-Line group who do appear to be quite active. First hurdle there is to be approved by their admin as it's a private group. Once in you can search for the basin mod and buried in there will be details of the lady who can supply, who you can then message, along with details of how to fit from the chap who originally designed it. As this is all behind a closed group, it would be wrong of me to name them here.

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Two little things caught me out doing the sink modification...

1) The gap between the wooden sides on mine was a few mm more than average, so the replacement bar supplied with the sink mod was a bit short - I had to pack behind the mounting plates by a mm or 2 each side to get everthing fitting nicely

2) The screws for the side plates go into lightweight ply, and you can only tighten them so much - once you are happy with the fit, silicone around them (and maybe glue behind them) to ensure they don't shift in transit.

There are lots of bits of these vans that are obviously built with no real thought for how they are maintained... There's a rats nest of cables behind the sink unit and no real way of getting to it that I can work out, since the gas pipes through the floor lock the sink unit in place...

cheers,

Robin

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
@kannon
You need to join the Facebook Autotrail V-Line group who do appear to be quite active. First hurdle there is to be approved by their admin as it's a private group. Once in you can search for the basin mod and buried in there will be details of the lady who can supply, who you can then message, along with details of how to fit from the chap who originally designed it. As this is all behind a closed group, it would be wrong of me to name them here.
Kannon Fodda

Hi Richard
Sorry to be a pain…
Can you confirm which group please?
IMG_6154.png

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Have now ordered the kit through someone on that v-line Facebook group. Thanks for the pointer as looks the best long term solution as will allow future maintenance access.
Take care when you fit it, and you will find you can move the sink a few millimetres towards the back. You might also have to adjust the magnetic catches too, but then you will find any drips when the sink is closed drop behind the panel and not in front. It takes a fair bit of fiddling but worth it in the end.

Nov 4, 2021
Essex UK (currently ;) )
Funster No
MH
Ducato Cheyenne 585
Hmm, thanks, unfortunately. Another example of Autotrail's being style so it looks great in the showroom
My (old) Autotrail has easy access to the drain below, and I've not had any problems with 'drips'. Maybe newer 'flashier' models are not so good. 🤷‍♀️

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Aug 28, 2022
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
1) The gap between the wooden sides on mine was a few mm more than average, so the replacement bar supplied with the sink mod was a bit short - I had to pack behind the mounting plates by a mm or 2 each side to get everthing fitting nicely
I've had a couple of buyers come back with that comment, so it seems that a small number (a couple of percent) of vans have the sink unit walls far enough apart to cause the issue. The designer of the kit specified 495mm rods, and that's what I've been cutting them to. I've just finished a new batch and I've cut them to 500mm.

Aug 28, 2022
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
Try this website -

David is a member of the Autotrail Expedition 66 etc. FB page and has designed and manufactured quite a few handy things for the Expedition models (they’re cheaper version of V Lines).
Thanks, I've only just seen this page. I started with a single printer and a single idea to print a few gas locker knobs for the Expeditions, but here I am a year later with what's apparently called a "side hustle" with 4 printers churning out a range of bits and pieces. Sometimes I even find time to go away in my van :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’ve just ordered the bump stop extenders! We were only saying recently that we need to do something to prevent the rear door plastic windows being damaged when rear doors opened fully which is nice to do in hot weather.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Any ideas please how to remove the flip down basin tray? I need to get into one side of it to renew a split mastic sealant.

Tried suggestions elsewhere that it could be removed at 45 degree angle but that doesn't seem right. No slots apparent behind the side pin hinges for it to slide out and pressing hard on the basin side doesn't give enough movement.

View attachment 899783View attachment 899784View attachment 899785
You may want to try how we get our tip up one out on our hymer Just lift it up and gently pull forwards and it pops out when you get to the correct angle (there is a slot in the bowl ) I will take a picture and post later

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
You may want to try how we get our tip up one out on our hymer Just lift it up and gently pull forwards and it pops out when you get to the correct angle (there is a slot in the bowl ) I will take a picture and post later
Nope Autotrail don't have any slot in the bowl, or other means to remove. Absolutely pants design. Hence the modification kits referred to in posts above where you have to first cut the existing pivot spindles away if you can't get in with flexi screwdrivers.

Aug 28, 2022
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail
Exp
Nope Autotrail don't have any slot in the bowl, or other means to remove. Absolutely pants design. Hence the modification kits referred to in posts above where you have to first cut the existing pivot spindles away if you can't get in with flexi screwdrivers.
Yes, crazy really. I understand that the guy who designed the mod kit approached AutoTrail with a view to licensing his design, but didn't get anywhere.

When I did mine, I cut away one of the spindles then there was enough slack to ease the sink out without cutting the other one.

OP
OP
Kannon Fodda

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
For me it's not the cleaning desire that's the issue. It's basic maintenance access. As the van inevitably vibrates when driving, mastic seals start to split so no longer waterproof. I have no choice but to get behind the basin as said mastic has failed after 5 years.

But having seen £5million houses taken apart to get to bathroom plumbing hidden by expensive floor and wall tiles, why should Autotrail worry about stuff going wrong once it's left their factory?

Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
Thanks, I've only just seen this page. I started with a single printer and a single idea to print a few gas locker knobs for the Expeditions, but here I am a year later with what's apparently called a "side hustle" with 4 printers churning out a range of bits and pieces. Sometimes I even find time to go away in my van :)
Ha, I didn’t know you were on here too 🤣

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
oh er sorry to hear this and good luck with the mission

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back