Removal of leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
When I finally lay up my PVC for winter, I wish to remove the leisure battery for storage in a more hospitable environment and regular charging. Is there anything I should bear in mind or can I just disconnect it and reconnect it next year. Are there any sensitive electronics I should be aware of? E.g. solar panel and controller. TIA

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Thanks Lenny but as a confirmed tightwad I tax my van for only six months of the year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Lenny but as a confirmed tightwad I tax my van for only six months of the year.
I agree with Lenny but if you must leave it chock the wheels, leave in 1st gear and release the handbrake.
Make sure both the engine and leisure batteries are regularly charged.
Just starting the engine occasionally won't provide enough charge.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
But if you have the dreaded ECU Fault or similar problems occur because of lack of use, won't the cost of repairs [plus Supply Chain aggro/delays] wipe out the savings from 6 months VED?

Steve

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I only wanted advice on disconnecting a leisure battery but if it helps, I have a medical condition which makes motorhoming in winter an impossiblity. Could someone please answer my question without beating me up about using my van in winter or is a medical certificate required?:winky:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I only wanted advice on disconnecting a leisure battery but if it helps, I have a medical condition which makes motorhoming in winter an impossiblity. Could someone please answer my question without beating me up about using my van in winter or is a medical certificate required?:winky:
Well said, if you have solar it should keep your leisure battery topped up unless you store indoors. There should be a fuse between your leisure battery and your solar controller, if so pull it out before you remove the battery.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
You should disconnect the solar panels from the controller before removing the battery. Be sure to insulate the wire if it's a bare end rather than pulling a plug or fuse.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
If you don't have a solar panel yes just disconnect. A solar panel will need to be isolated before removing the battery, however if you have solar leave it in it will trickle charge over winter.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
You should disconnect the solar panels from the controller before removing the battery. Be sure to insulate the wire if it's a bare end rather than pulling a plug or fuse.
Can you explain why you would disconnect the solar rather than remove a fuse?

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Can you explain why you would disconnect the solar rather than remove a fuse?

If there is a fuse in the line from solar panels to controller then yes, pull that out. More likely though that the fuse is in line from controller to battery.

Leaving a solar panel feed to the controller without a connected battery can cause damage.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a thought.... Do you remove your car battery in winter when it's not in use?
If you keep the van at home simply keep it on charge in-situ.
Easy to make a UK 3pin to blue socket lead for your hookup cable.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well said, if you have solar it should keep your leisure battery topped up unless you store indoors. There should be a fuse between your leisure battery and your solar controller, if so pull it out before you remove the battery.

Since I didn't know a thing about batteries and solar, I agree by experience, you must do as these gentleman say or it costs a lot of money. :(

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
When you replace the leisure battery it is important that if you have removed the solar controller battery leads you re- connect the battery leads (or replace the fuse) to the solar controller before the solar panel is reconnected to its controller.
The starter battery will also need to be kept charged or it may go flat in a few weeks, without use, due to constant drain from the van electronics, (ECU etc)

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Many thanks for all the replies. I will have to hunt down the leads to the solar controller and check for a fuse or plug.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
On mine if you switch the battery off on the controller ( in my case the EBL 119) effectivly the battery is disconnected.

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Have you not read my post above regarding not being able to use my van in winter? What do you expect me to do? Hire it out? Sell it? Give it away?

I envy those who can use their vans all year round, how I wish I could too. However I have to accept that it will be stored over winter and I ask a simple question which some folk have answered without issues. Some, on the other hand seem to want to berate me for something over which I have no control. Please can you not accept that we are all different and have different needs?

My rant is over.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Assuming you have a readily accessible mains supply, it is far less hassle ensuring a periodic charge of both batteries than disconnecting/removing. If you have a batterymaster and a solar setup, just leave the van to its own devices.

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Thanks for the reply. Given I cannot find the connector from the solar to the controller, I reckon charging via the hook up is the way to go. I do believe however that I've read somewhere that the on board charging system can charge only to around 80%.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you are storing outside, just leave the solar to do its thing. Even in winter, you should get enough power to compensate from the normal self-discharge of the batteries.

It is true that on some vans where the EHU runs a power supply, rather than a proper multi-stage charger, it may only get the batteries to 80%. If your solar controller is smarter, it is more likely to fully charge the batteries fully before dropping back to float voltage. You can leave both solar & EHU connected.

We would need to know the make & model of both the solar controller & the mains charger/control system to give specific advice. There are lots of different systems & they all behave differently.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks for the reply. Given I cannot find the connector from the solar to the controller, I reckon charging via the hook up is the way to go. I do believe however that I've read somewhere that the on board charging system can charge only to around 80%.
I have found with my PVC, that the solar takes care of the batteries even in the winter. However, I have found it beneficial to leave a small heater on frost setting inside the van to prevent condensation. Mine is a small fan heater. So I put mine on EHU in the drive.
Cue those who will say ventilation is the key, but I have found that keeping inside just above zero works for the Ducato conversion that I have.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you have easy access to a mains supply, keeping the batteries charged from the mains is a good option. Since you are not using the MH, the starter battery and leisure batteries will only need a trickle charge to keep them fully charged. So a powerful charger is not necessary.

I use a CTEK MXS5.0 multistage intelligent charger, maximum 5 amps. I use this for example when I go away for several weeks, to keep the battery of the car on the drive fully charged. It starts first time every time I return.

The charger comes with insulated clips to attach to the battery terminals. There is a 2-pin connector midway in the output wire, so the clips can be detached and other items connected. For example you can get a wire with ring terminals, that can be fixed permanently to the battery.To connect the charger, just plug in the 2-pin connector. There's lots of connection options, including a cigarette-lighter plug that goes in a cigarette-lighter socket (must be live, of course).

You can get a similar charger that only puts out 0.7 Amps. CTEK, Optimate, Victron and others do them. That is quite adequate for keeping either battery topped up. They can be left connected for months. If you're not sure about how well the existing EHU charger or solar controller treats the batteries, these will do the job.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks for all the replies. I will have to hunt down the leads to the solar controller and check for a fuse or plug.
It's unlikely it will have a fuse or switch between panel and controller.
If you have relatively easy access to the controller simply remove one wire from the controller.
It will state which wires do what usually with a pictagram.
Pic of panel, remove Neg wire.

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
If you have easy access to a mains supply, keeping the batteries charged from the mains is a good option. Since you are not using the MH, the starter battery and leisure batteries will only need a trickle charge to keep them fully charged. So a powerful charger is not necessary.

I use a CTEK MXS5.0 multistage intelligent charger, maximum 5 amps. I use this for example when I go away for several weeks, to keep the battery of the car on the drive fully charged. It starts first time every time I return.

The charger comes with insulated clips to attach to the battery terminals. There is a 2-pin connector midway in the output wire, so the clips can be detached and other items connected. For example you can get a wire with ring terminals, that can be fixed permanently to the battery.To connect the charger, just plug in the 2-pin connector. There's lots of connection options, including a cigarette-lighter plug that goes in a cigarette-lighter socket (must be live, of course).

You can get a similar charger that only puts out 0.7 Amps. CTEK, Optimate, Victron and others do them. That is quite adequate for keeping either battery topped up. They can be left connected for months. If you're not sure about how well the existing EHU charger or solar controller treats the batteries, these will do the job.

Many thanks to all who have replied.

I already have an MXS 5.0 and I assume I can just connect it to the jump start terminals on my Ducato PVC. How about the leisure battery? Do I just connect it or must I isolate the pane and/or controller?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
How about the leisure battery? Do I just connect it or must I isolate the pane and/or controller?
No need to isolate anything, just connect the MXS5.0. If you attach the ring terminal wire with the 2-pin connector to the leisure battery, it's easy to connect up the charger. If the leisure battery is a bit inaccessible, it's makes life easier.

All the leisure battery circuits are quite OK with the MXS5.0 voltages - they are much the same as the EHU charger and alternator voltages.

OP
OP
U.Toadifact
Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Thank you for your reply. I will leave the battery in situ and charge with the MSX5.0.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back