Remote internal camera for motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Does anyone have any suggestions for an internal camera to feed to phone or iPad. I am going to have park my van a short distance from my home out of sight of current security lighting and cameras so I need to have cameras inside.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have a cheap camera and can view the inside of the motorhome - the expensive bit is having a Vodafone data card running in the motorhome so that the motorhome is on the internet - £20 a month for the card, many cameras available including RING but there are cheaper alternatives.

Plus you will have a subscription fee for the camera if you want to record. I don't bother as it has a movement sensor and notifies me if there is any movement in the van.\\Useful when we are away and leave the dog in the van - we can see and hear what she is up to

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
the expensive bit is having a Vodafone data card running in the motorhome
Does the camera constantly use data, or just when it detects motion or is logged into by the user to monitor ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Search Aiwit. You can use any old smart phone as a camera and see live action on your phone.

I won’t go into details here but it works for me

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
When our offices got broken in to the police guy that came out to look at securing the premises recommended this

We looked at the price and didn't bother though. Has it's own power supply and data sim so need for electric or wifi. To be fair it does seem a nice bit of kit.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
The van has boosted WiFi fitted with SIM card so don’t need a system that has one built in

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
But not connected to power?
Yes that’s right, 190amph leisure battery and 160amp solar panel, and as I use it every day so it gets a little charge from the alternator

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
many of the standard internal IP cameras are usb powered, motion detection, acess via phone, sound included if wanted,

I use one at home when we are away and can set it to get notification of movement to my phone, set to record a set time period on motion detection, to sd card. Can also access view live action.

loads on tinternet and amazon around the £25 - £50 mark.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think John DBK rigged up one to monitor his dog.
It wasn't a camera, but just a way of remotely monitoring the internal temperature in the MH and sending emails to my phone. The

It was useful - when I used to travel in warm places. :(

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
For future searches I used NeOS SmartCam - Amazon UK link

Dirt cheap and sends alerts on motion/noise delta and only uploads screenshot every so often so sips data. USB powered. 1080p but image a bit soft(excellent for the price). In the process of fitting one to mine at the moment.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
MINI Camera, 1080P HD 32G Wireless Home Security Surveillance Spy Cameras with Night Vision, Motion Detection, Wifi Hidden Camera Comes with a 32G SD card

Coop

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Highline
Exp
+35 years (Still Learning)
For future searches I used NeOS SmartCam - Amazon UK link

Dirt cheap and sends alerts on motion/noise delta and only uploads screenshot every so often so sips data. USB powered. 1080p but image a bit soft(excellent for the price). In the process of fitting one to mine at the moment.
Another vote for Neos Smartcam.

We have two fitted which are powered from USB sockets, have been reliable, give good visuals daytime and night, send alerts to my phone and can be used live.

Can be used with a pay monthly subscription but we find the free to use service sufficient.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Does the camera constantly use data, or just when it detects motion or is logged into by the user to monitor ?
No, I do t believe so but I may be wrong. It seems to only consume data when activated by movement etc

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi everyone. I was looking at getting the Neos Smart Cam for the van, it was recommended by the infamous Gadget John. I liked the idea of being able to monitor the van, have motion sensor alerts to our smartfone etc, and it seems great value for money.
I then checked out the videos on the app & camera set up, which all seemed fair enough, however reading the first 3 customer reviews has put me off somewhat, question is WHY do the need so much info?
See below comments.
LES

Copy:
1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the security conscious - annoyingly intrusive
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 8 February 2019
Style Name: Single PackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I couldn't give this device a proper review because I found the set-up process way too intrusive.

Before you can operate the camera, you need to give your name and an email address, which is fair enough and pretty standard for these devices, but also your phone number, address and exact location. You don't need to be overly paranoid to think that might not be a good idea. You are giving these details to a company you know little about, trusting to their security procedures, and streaming a real-time feed from your home, with details of your name, address and exact physical location for no good reason (the app suggests they need your location to identify your wi-fi!?) - and doesn't give you any choice in the matter.

By all means give customers the option of providing this information in return for extra functionality, but don't demand it. There are plenty of smart cams that stick to name/email - I'll stick to them.
2,082 people found this helpful
Helpful
<Broken link removed>

Mr Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars I really like it - But.. One Star!!
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 26 April 2019
Style Name: Single PackVerified Purchase
The Kit is massively impressive for the money... But.... The App is Soooo Intrusive!! ... I felt like they wanted my bank details and mothers maiden name by the time i'd finished the compulsory online registration... No real reason for that unless they are selling this info on so not sure i like the product... I tried to skip some of this but no go - They need Addressees, Phone Location Rights, Etc... And - It's a Camera - If that info leaks, what protection does the consumer have when they hold all that Data and your Live Feed? ... Did not make me feel confident about this business... :(

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you have an old smartphone there are many apps that will turn it into a remote security device.

Search Aiwit. You can use any old smart phone as a camera and see live action on your phone.
May I ask how you do that ?
I downloaded the aiwit app mentioned above, and it only seemed to want to connect to a door bell camera.

I use an app called XMeye for cctv cameras and tried to use that to connect to phone camera but could find no method of identifying the phone / camera I want to connect to ? Is there a unique serial number on the phone I wonder ?

Any help gratefully received

Deleted User
May I ask how you do that ?
I downloaded the aiwit app mentioned above, and it only seemed to want to connect to a door bell camera.

I use an app called XMeye for cctv cameras and tried to use that to connect to phone camera but could find no method of identifying the phone / camera I want to connect to ? Is there a unique serial number on the phone I wonder ?

Any help gratefully received
I used an app called Presence Video Security(?) .......... If I remember correctly you install it on 2 devices and both need internet. I don't use it now the need has finished.
Found it...... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.peoplepowerco.presencepro

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Does anyone have any suggestions for an internal camera to feed to phone or iPad. I am going to have park my van a short distance from my home out of sight of current security lighting and cameras so I need to have cameras inside.
I have. ring stick up cam in the Motorhome, the house Wi-fi reaches the van easily, if your van is parked a little way from the router get something like a power line adapter to extend the WiFi closer to where you need the Wi-fi signal. I have a ring alarm (door sensors and keypad which sounds and alarm) and cameras in my garage which is at the bottom of my garden. I have power out to the garage so the power line adapter just sends the data signals over the 240v network.

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I have the NEOS camera in my van, it works well. I didn’t find the sign up procedure particularly onerous, they don’t have my address, when asked for location I just put “campervan”.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I have the NEOS camera in my van, it works well. I didn’t find the sign up procedure particularly onerous, they don’t have my address, when asked for location I just put “campervan”.
Yep, I have two at home and they both work perfectly. I've had them a couple of years but don't remember the set up being at all onerous either. I also have the subscription which allows longer video clip storage and less time between clips. About a £1.00 a month I believe.

Aug 9, 2019
Not so sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar T486
I use one of these Wansview W6 cameras mounted on a small board that I place on the kitchen worktop looking towards the front of the van. I fitted a 12 volt plug to power it and it connects to my home wifi network or via my mifi when away. It claims to be 1080 and the picture quality isn't bad. I didn't sign up to Wansview cloud storage but just record to an SD card and their android app to monitor. Anyone looking in the van at dusk or night will notice the red IR illuminating Leds and hopefully think twice. Cost me £27 but just looked and now £35. I'm sure their are other cams that can be adapted in the same way. I did have it running in Zoneminder but that is another story for another time.

Amazon product ASIN B08DD2VR24

Jun 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 650 MG
Exp
6 years
Ring indoor cam. Runs from mains (via adapter) or USB (including a power bank for a few days). I run mine through a MiFi dongle. Works a treat. Also integrates in to my Ring dashboard so I see it along with all my other Ring cameras. Amazon product ASIN B07Q769MFM. Image and sound quality are excellent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back