Reinforced front springs (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I see this is an option on the price list. Considering an I 150 QB. What’s the advantage of this and is it a good option to have? On a Fiat chassis.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Frankly any vehicle should be designed and built to operate legally within its design and plated weights. Are they trying to tell you something?
Updated springs will give a harsher ride.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Paired with air bags at the Rear, would give you an extra 500 - 750Kg Payload...

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Going for the 4250 option so don’t think I need the extra. But nice to know just in case!

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Ask me on Saturday, having upgraded front springs fitted to our Peasant Tourer on Friday. Did Scotland in June and the front suspension was struggling with the potholes (Semi air on the back). Bad enough for me to get my wallet out..

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
Using full air on front doesn't normally produce extra weight on front axle its nearly always rear that up plates

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We have the up rated front spring option on our Hymer and they certainly don’t give a harsher ride, just the opposite. The front end is higher than our previous Fiat based motorhome and front just feels more comfortable.
I’d certainly select the option.

Reactions: f6c
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Going for the 4250 option so don’t think I need the extra. But nice to know just in case!
Sorry to say you may well "need the extra". Depending on which model you go for (Tourer, C-Line, E-Line etc) they all get heavier as you go up the range. Ours was a 4250 but came very close to blowing the rear axle limit with the motor bike in the back, I could have left it but wanted some headroom for full water, beer, wine,.. you get the idea ;-) So we went with semi air, new tyres and 4800 kg max, 2700KG rear axle so up 200kg. A mate with a C-Line had to get re plated with a scooter in the back, E-Lines are heavier again... We max out at about 4300kg with full water and about 2550kg on the rear when loaded for a long trip. FYI the factory upgrade to 4500kg doesn't increase the rear axle load, only rear air and tyres can do that... I think.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We currently run at about 3550 with full everything on a 3850 chassis. The I150 QB has a MIRO about 100kg more than our Burstner so we have some in hand. We can’t bring back loads of wine anymore which we had accounted for in our load calculations so a bit more saving. Oh, and we don’t carry a motorbike!

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
We currently run at about 3550 with full everything on a 3850 chassis. The I150 QB has a MIRO about 100kg more than our Burstner so we have some in hand. We can’t bring back loads of wine anymore which we had accounted for in our load calculations so a bit more saving. Oh, and we don’t carry a motorbike!
You should be fine then. But be aware Carthago are fibbers about the actual weight like all of the van manufacturers, ours with all the extras should (on the paper figures Carthago quote) have been X kg. From memory or was about 40-50kg over. Not an insignificant amount to loose, and that was without the gas bottle, water and driver so in reality more like 150kg over the MIRO paper claim. They do have good payloads so it isn't down to the last kg normally.

• Nice One!
Reactions: f6c
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Ask me on Saturday, having upgraded front springs fitted to our Peasant Tourer on Friday. Did Scotland in June and the front suspension was struggling with the potholes (Semi air on the back). Bad enough for me to get my wallet out..
What you having fitted Goldschmidt or an alternative.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
What you having fitted Goldschmidt or an alternative.
Can't remember the make tbh, some of the quotes were eye watering. A mate had it done on his C-Line and it has transformed the front end ride, as soon as I went in his I booked mine in. Not Air suspension quality but good enough for us and we already have the E&P levellers.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Personally, full air is the way to go. Its like day and night comparing with and without.
I agree but the bank account is only so deep and full air is the cost of a good motorbike :happy: Maybe go in the budget for the next van if I win some PB money...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You should be fine then. But be aware Carthago are fibbers about the actual weight like all of the van manufacturers, ours with all the extras should (on the paper figures Carthago quote) have been X kg. From memory or was about 40-50kg over. Not an insignificant amount to loose, and that was without the gas bottle, water and driver so in reality more like 150kg over the MIRO paper claim. They do have good payloads so it isn't down to the last kg normally.
Everyone I know who has had a new Carthago the MIRO has been over by 125 - 130kg, the smallest of the Compact Line is about the only Carthago A Class that is runnable at 3500kg.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Can't remember the make tbh, some of the quotes were eye watering. A mate had it done on his C-Line and it has transformed the front end ride, as soon as I went in his I booked mine in. Not Air suspension quality but good enough for us and we already have the E&P levellers.
We found with semi air and all weather tyres the ride was perfect

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Everyone I know who has had a new Carthago the MIRO has been over by 125 - 130kg, the smallest of the Compact Line is about the only Carthago A Class that is runnable at 3500kg.
Yes I have noted your comment in the past. When I spoke to Southdowns they said that no-one orders the Fiat light chassis.

Deleted User
Hi forum, first post here after reading it for a couple of days. I'm about to place an order for a new liner-for-two. Initially we wanted to go for the short version and we needed the semi air for the extra load. While talking with our dealer I asked if full air does really bring any benefit and he said that he doesn't like it, but the best spec is to have the upgraded springs at the front + semi air. The guy is driving motorhomes and working in the industry since 30 years... so I guess he should/could be trustable. So I'd suggest the OP to get the upgrade, considering it is not that expensive.

Now, if I may ask a question from the same area, in the meantime we decided to go for the longer version which is still on a Fiat chassis but has two axles at the back. To save on costs and since we don't need the extra load anymore (the chassis is already at 5.4t) we were thinking the drop the semi air, so does anyone have any experience with the Fiat on 3 axles? Is the semi air worth it?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive never known anyone not like full air. It improves handling, braking, levels the vehicle while driving, can be used to lift either end when loading on a steep ferry ramp and increase ground clearance if on uneven ground and can be lowered to ease loading and unloading.
The best spec is full air and your dealer obviously doesnt know what he is talking about. There is no comparison.

Ive had the tag axle fiat and the rear alko axles are great and do improve handling massively from the standard fiat rear axle. Would I put air on it? Only if I had the money burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to turn a great driving chassis into the best possible, but would always go for all round air rather than rear only. On the tag axle vans the front axle is your weak point the rears are pretty good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back