Regarding winterisation? (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hi all,

We're steadily narrowing down the search and due to visit a few more vans in the coming weeks (CV-19 permitting of course). One of the things we want to use the van for is to go snowboarding whether that be in Slovakia, Poland or maybe even France. I know that some vans have a double floor, with the grey water tank being inside this "floor sandwich" so to speak which prevents it from getting frozen in low temperatures. What I would like to ask you all is as follows : How necessary is this? I have seen several videos featuring a van which doesn't have this feature where the van owner simply drains straight into a smaller container to empty the grey water for immediate emptying. I also know that I could fit a grey tank pad heater or use an anti-freeze solution added to the grey to help with the risk of freezing. If the van would be sitting stationary on an aire for say a week while we snowboard, with the heater ticking over to keep the interior water pipes and boiler safe, do I really need a van with a double floor to use in sub-zero temperatures or does it just make doing so easier?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Best for winter is a heated double floor containing both waste and fresh water, all water pipes in there too, fresh and waste release valves in heated lockers, toilet cassette locker heated.

Some Hymers have underslung waste tanks but these are usually heated from the vans heating system and not 12 volt so are adequate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks CazPaul that's the thing. I know that all of the above is "best" however I'm trying to find out if a lack of it will make things simply more difficult or whether it would make them impossible!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well as I say you could get away with the Hymer waste underneath if heated by can system. Some people go skiing and don't even use the water system in the van, they use water containers/bottles.

Also it depends how near walls water pipe runs are as they can freeze in those conditions even when inside.

Depends on the van and how comfortable you want to be. You could manage with no shower and water containers but it's better with

You need good heaters and gas supply or heating working by EHU.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks for the reply. I've spoken on this forum before about how the older EU vans don't seem to have any electric heating option...gas only. Not too big of a problem I imagine as long as i take a small oil-radiator or something to keep on in the van while we are out during the day?

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You can certainly leave your grey tank outlet open into a caravan style carrier and empty it before leaving in freezing conditions. However, a grey tank in the "warm" part of the vehicle will be much more convenient. However, if I was leaving it for a week in freezing conditions, I wouldn't rely on the heating still being on when I returned. I'd drain down. If you're coming back every night, it will probably be fine, assuming the fresh tank is in the insulated bit, you close your windows and you trust your heater.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You can certainly leave your grey tank outlet open into a caravan style carrier and empty it before leaving in freezing conditions. However, a grey tank in the "warm" part of the vehicle will be much more convenient. However, if I was leaving it for a week in freezing conditions, I wouldn't rely on the heating still being on when I returned. I'd drain down. If you're coming back every night, it will probably be fine, assuming the fresh tank is in the insulated bit, you close your windows and you trust your heater.

In my conversion, I've got the grey tank in the habitation compartment. More of a happy coincidence than a design, as there are precious few tank sized spaces under a Movano. The shower requires a sump and a bilge pump.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I haven't winter camped for a few years, but a good snowfall on the roof and blocking up the gap from floor to side skirts actually makes the van feel warmer. Frozen taps are an inconvenience, but a frozen split boiler is a disaster. Make sure the van you choose is winterised and very well insulated

We have woken to ice on the inside of windows many times

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
thanks TheBig1 . The three vans we are currently interested in are Broken Link Removed , Broken Link Removed and finally Broken Link Removed . I know the Burstner and the Hobby are double floor jobbies...don't think the Dethleffs is though.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My rapido has the grey tank underneath but in a box which is heated by the normal van heating, electric or gas. Electric heating is pretty ineffective in cold weather so gas more reliable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Reallyretired thank you, yes I have read that the electric heating isn't anywhere near as effective as gas, using an oil rad or similar during the day while we are out was simply to keep the interior of the van at a reasonable temperature whilst saving gas for when we are back/cooking etc. As far as my reading goes I believe that most of the German brands should be well enough insulated for the task...as far as an underslung grey tank am aware of the bucket option, but would love to hear from anyone that has fitted a grey tank heating pad or heating element as to their effectiveness (on ehu ofc due to the current draw).

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Given your intended usage, I'd sack off the Dethleffs. But be absolutely sure that what you do buy has the grey tank within the heated space. It just isn't worth the hassle of an unheated grey tank if you use it in the mountains in winter. A double floor isn't so useful if the tank is mounted below!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thanks TheBig1 . The three vans we are currently interested in are Broken Link Removed , Broken Link Removed and finally Broken Link Removed . I know the Burstner and the Hobby are double floor jobbies...don't think the Dethleffs is though.
the burstner would be the most suitable vehicle for your use, the hobby and defleffs are both so low on maximum weight that it is ridiculous 300kg payload including people and goods. Not possible in my opinion to stay legal

But the burstner has had major rust repairs and damp repairs

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back