Refurbishing a Cycle rack from 52 plate Swift. (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590RS
I'm in the process of refurbing an old but hopefully servicable cycle rack on our swift. Parts are none existent so trying to reuse what I can. Wonder if anyone has the same rack and can confirm a few details. All the bolts and pivots will be renewed and copper greased for a bit of protection.

The Pivot bolts are the only thing supporting the weight of the bikes. These were very rusted and the coach bolt square head spinning in the aluminium tube so I reversed these and put in new bolts, but seems a lot is relying on just these 2 bolts doing their thing. Highlighted in the picture below. Reversing the bolts gave them new metal to cut in to on the tubing so they no-longer spin. So the blue knobs shown are now on the outside.

IMG_3464-markedup.jpeg

The bike grips/holders don't clamp well to the bigger diameter tube, as the clamp diameter is smaller than the tube diameter by quite a lot. It holds OK but just doesnt seem right.

There are also 2 plastic hooks. These were on very corroded tapered sleeves which I intend to replace with some nylon I can turn down, but not sure of their purpose. They don't hook securely over the rack bars to hold it in the stored position. It was held up with a velcro strap.

IMG_3890-markedup.jpeg

IMG_3905.jpeg

Also you can see in the picture about the tapered hole is split. I'll fix that with some epoxy repair putty I hope. Not sure why the holes are tapered or what these are meant to do. There are 2 of these one each side of the rack.

Anyone with a similar rack can show me some details please. Trying to save a few hundred quid buying a new one.

Worst case scenario, anyone done a straight swap with a new rack from Fiamma or Thule.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back