Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only thing going on in this thread is that some are 'gassing' and 'testing' other funster's knowledge! :D

Calm down boys ... next you'll be telling us they use a Rolex to time how long it takes to do the leak test!!! :LOL:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Does anyone know what pressure is in a filled lpg tank? Or does it vary by temperature

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only thing going on in this thread is that some are 'gassing' and 'testing' other funster's knowledge! :D

Calm down boys ... next you'll be telling us they use a Rolex to time how long it takes to do the leak test!!! :LOL:
Stop with this voice of reason stuff - makes you sound female :whistle::D.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Does anyone know what pressure is in a filled lpg tank? Or does it vary by temperature
Would it be of use knowing that? It is relatively low on comparison to other packaged gas as the cylinder is designed for low pressure as opposed to higher pressure cylinders that are made completely differently by design.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Where I store my van is right next door to an LPG filling plant and they have a testing facility and I can tell you that the amount of failed bottles is enormous judging by the size of the scrapped bottles stack and it would seem to me that the size that is failing most is the ones we all use in our lockers .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Where I store my van is right next door to an LPG filling plant and they have a testing facility and I can tell you that the amount of failed bottles is enormous judging by the size of the scrapped bottles stack and it would seem to me that the size that is failing most is the ones we all use in our lockers .
It would be interesting to know the most common reason for failure. When l used bottles the ones l returned without using were either leaking through the valve when turned off (only one) or had a damaged regulator connection (a few). How do they test?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
It would be interesting to know the most common reason for failure. When l used bottles the ones l returned without using were either leaking through the valve when turned off (only one) or had a damaged regulator connection (a few). How do they test?

Hi, Tony I don't know for sure but they have a large Nitrogen tank on site so I presume pressure test .

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Think they also check valve thread that screws into bottle itself as well incase there is wear on the thread that certainly gets checked on hp bottles/cylinders

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As regards the 10 yearly refurbishment programme with gas suppliers, the head is removed (valve etc), the cylinder is then pressure tested to around 40% higher than required, repainted and new head fitted, so in essence it appears to be a brand new cylinder.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As regards the 10 yearly refurbishment programme with gas suppliers, the head is removed (valve etc), the cylinder is then pressure tested to around 40% higher than required, repainted and new head fitted, so in essence it appears to be a brand new cylinder.
I remember reading about hydraulic testing when l put together a workshop compressor. The test was looking for excessive distortion of the compressor receiver under a much higher than normal internal pressure. I can't remember what pressure was used but l remember thinking it was a good job it was hydraulic. As an aside i have a friend who has made a fair number of two-stroke expansion chambers using hydraulic pressure to inflate them from flat form. They're made from 1mm mild steel and at 700psi they are fully formed and can be hammer-dressed as though they were solid steel.

OP
OP
M

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Doesn't look like there is an answer to my original question apart from you can buy refurbished which probably doesn't need exchange bottle

On ebay at moment there is a pair of gaslow cylinders 15year ones with 18 months life left a regulator and rubber hoses that probably need replacing which have been bid up to £84 at moment so it is probably more cost effective to sell on ebay and just replace with new ones before expiry date that may be answer to my question

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back