Reduced water pressure (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Perhaps foolishly (in retrospect!) I washed out the water system with diluted acetic acid. I drained it and then refilled the system. The pressure seemed a bit less after doing this despite getting a good gush of water/bubbles when refilling. Initially the pressure was worse in the end tap of the system but I decided to drain down again and refill and now it affects all the taps (and both hot and cold). Suspect that I have some loosened scale blocking the system. Can I flush it through with mains water or is that pressure likely to damage the system (our domestic mains pressure is not very high). Was thinking if I disconnected the pump and flushed through by attaching a hose to the end tap (on cold then hot with the 12v turned off as it is a microswitch system) it might clear it? Any thoughts most welcome!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Possible you may have an air lock. Try draining then refilling, open the tap furthest away and then work back. Good luck

OP
OP
P
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Don't know if I have an inline filter. Not seen one (pics anyone?) when I have tried to follow the pipes but I wouldn't necessarily know what I was looking for! Ours is a 2006 Hymer.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I would also take a look at the pump suction that may be blocked as well as the filter .

That would be my guess, doesn't take much to slow one of these pumps down, just a bit of debris and it's RPM will be reduced. It may clear over time, might be worth leaving it running for a while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Worth checking the gauzes on the taps themselves if you have them.

image.jpeg

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not seen one (pics anyone?) when I have tried to follow the pipes but I wouldn't necessarily know what I was looking for! Ours is a 2006 Hymer.

Something similar to this =

(y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NEVER.. Cleaned any water tanks in all the 6 vans i have had over 18 years...
No blockages and not dead yet (y)(y) ;)

ps... Try the filter which should be on the pump as mentioned..

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The OP says his van is a Hymer so it will have a submersible pump, suspended in the water tank.

I believe the submersible pumps have a non-return valve to prevent water in the pipeline draining back into the tank. Might be worth checking the valve hadn't got clagged up.

However, suspect the Truma boiler may have collected debris at the outlet to the hot water pipeline (bottom of tank). But this would only affect the pressure when the taps are turned to hot water. Does the reduced pressure affect both hot and cold taps?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I reckon it's either a blocked filter on the bottom of the Reich twin impeller submersible pump (unlikely) but as I've never had one clogged in 13 x years, I'm going for the air lock (most common fault).

Close everything down, including the hot water dump valve. After checking the above mentioned filter ;) fill the tank, then gradually prime the cold system using one tap at a time (including the shower and toilet flush). Once pressure is established at each outlet, do the same for the hot water system (excluding the toilet flush). This latter part may appear to take ages, as the boiler has to purge all the air as it fills (about 10 x litres).
During summer months, I empty the water tank between trips, but do not drain down, so don't have to go through this routine every time I fill up. Winter is a complete drain down (and blow through) every time. (y)

Good luck,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
P
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Thanks for all your replies. Not at home now so will follow up your ideas tomorrow. Initially it was only the end tap and was worse on cold than hot but it is now both h&c. I had already checked the filter on the bottom of the Reich pump -not blocked but will have a look tomorrow and make sure it is pumping (presume that the best way is to disconnect the pump and run the outflow into the sink?) . Will check the non return valve and the tap filters too. The Hymer manual suggests re priming the system doing the hot before the cold @JockandRita - will try it your way for a change! When I re primed after winter drain down the air lock sorted itself out quickly...
Will give feedback once I have tried the above. Cheers
Paddy

OP
OP
P
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
SORTED - thanks guys.
It was the integral non return valve on the top of the pun. I did clean the filters on the taps - only the kitchen one (the end of the line) had any debris and it was fluff rather than limescale which was reassuring. Then disconnected the pump from the outflow and ran it out the window. I reckoned it wasn't anywhere near 19 litres per minute but the pump was still rotating at the bottom. I happened to have a pump (!) without a non return valve so I went and bought a separate non return valve, connected up to the new spare pump and it was clear immediately that the boiler was filling much faster and after a minute I was getting a good flow.
I will try to saw off the non return valve on the old pump to see if I can use it in the future...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
SORTED - thanks guys.
It was the integral non return valve on the top of the pun.
Glad to hear that you are sorted Paddy, and good to know the cause, for future reference. (y)

@Wagoneer. Nice one re suggesting the non return valve. (y) It's not a fault I've come across before on our current system. The Carver ones were a bu@@er, especially if you drained the hot tank before letting it cool down. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back