Free Member
May 5, 2015
Worthing, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion - Vivaro
Exp
Hi,

We've recently purchased our first Camper Van (A Vauxhall Vivaro LWB pop top conversion), and intend to take our first proper trip down to SE France in August.

We're heading to a campsite in a village called Cardet, on the banks of the Gard / Gardon river.

We don't want to race down, and intend to take 3 days down and 3 back.

The cheapest ferry prices seem to be Dover / Calais, and this route provides the most time slots as well.

We have 2 kids, 9 and 13 and want to make the journey down and back as fun as possible, so the stop-over locations and the route we take is key to that.

Having done some basic route planning, the 'quick' route using motorways is about 10 hours in total, whereas the non-motorway route (avoiding tolls) is 15-16 hours driving.

Having driven to Southern France before (in a car) I an aware that there are many routes South, but with the added dimension of aires in the mix I want to plan the best / most interesting route.

I'm open to the possibility of taking longer on the way down / back if the route is worth taking.

So, my question is simple really - which route would you suggest, given enjoyment for the family is key.

Kieron

OP
OP
K

Kieron

Free Member
May 5, 2015
Worthing, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion - Vivaro
Exp
Just to add - I've ordered the Vicarious North / South France aires books, so they will be useful I'm sure.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi Kieron and welcome to FUN, you need to get All the Aires books for France. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise on routes etc. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If useing aires, route not important, just drive as far as you like or to somewhere you would like to stop, get your park4night app up and it will tell you your nearest aire, simples, bound to be one in less than 10 miles, or get the alltheaires book and plan which one you would like to stop at.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Looks like we all cross posted there:)

OP
OP
K

Kieron

Free Member
May 5, 2015
Worthing, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion - Vivaro
Exp
If useing aires, route not important, just drive as far as you like or to somewhere you would like to stop, get your park4night app up and it will tell you your nearest aire, simples, bound to be one in less than 10 miles, or get the alltheaires book and plan which one you would like to stop at.

I'd rather select specific Aires that provide something interesting.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
My first thoughts would be to cross over into France on one of the cheap evening crossings but recently the Aire in the Basin has occasional predatory migrants wandering about and the Harbour Aire is likely to be full after 6 in the evening, so perhaps use the huge park at the Cite' of Europe or an early cheap crossing after parking up overnight in the UK .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My first thoughts would be to cross over into France on one of the cheap evening crossings but recently the Aire in the Basin has occasional predatory migrants wandering about and the Harbour Aire is likely to be full after 6 in the evening, so perhaps use the huge park at the Cite' of Europe or an early cheap crossing after parking up overnight in the UK .
Seconded!

OP
OP
K

Kieron

Free Member
May 5, 2015
Worthing, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion - Vivaro
Exp

In our previous life holidaying via a car we used to stay at the Premier Inn place just outside of Dover and catch an early ferry over. Living in Worthing we could still make an early ferry even if we needed to get up early and drive it. I personally don't want to be driving after about 4pm each day, to give the kids time to have fun before dinner / bed time.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You may want to be thinking about stopping a bit earlier than that. In August the aires in nice locations will fill up pretty quickly.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Aires by all means for overnight stops on route, with the caveat they will be really busy in high summer though.... With a family I would look at staying on Municipal sites, they are cheap and plentiful and not much more then some Aires price wise...far more relaxing and pleasant being able to spread out on some grass, with proper camp-site facilities as well :)

http://www.camping-municipal.org/

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Join Link Removedt , download the phone app and you will have all the aires and a lot more at your finger-tips.. small annual fee

You can also load your sat nav with the POIs. free .. http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads

I have used many books and web sites, this has to be the most comprehensive of them all ..

for route planning Via Michelin can't be bettered .. you can choose Tolls or no Tolls etc

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Or use this site http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/
gives you a lot of aires at a set distance (of yopur choice) from your present position ( or put where you expect to be) v.good site

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back