Recommendations for "wired in" charger? (1 Viewer)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our motorhome has one of these permanently connected to the leisure batteries:

Amazon product ASIN 9788046096
That's a Street Wize SWMBC15A 15 amp charger for those blocking ads or whatever. It's just a standard 'dumb' battery charger.

I'm not convinced that it's working properly, and it buzzes loudly all the time, and I think something more modern and "smarter" would be better. Any recommendations for something that could be permanently wired in? We have 240 Ah of deep-cycle batteries.

Steve

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
This won't be the cheapest suggestion you will get, but it is a good 8-stage charger that will be very kind to your batteries - CTEK MSX25 at around £200. I am assuming that you do not have solar as part of the scenario....

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks - that was the one I was thinking of getting - I assume it is totally silent? I don't have solar.

The engine battery doesn't get charged when on EHU, so I was thinking of also getting a 'battery manager' to keep that charged - we can be static for days (or weeks) at a time with the radio on most of the day.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Sargent do a x300 for about £109.00 carriage included.
It's a smart charger don't know if you could fit.
If you can it will charge hab plus cab batteries also manage solar.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Buzzing, and eventually rattling, is the transformer or rectifier heat sink plates beginning to fail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
The Victron 30A charger is better quality than the CTek and slightly cheaper. It's the best for permanent fitting and has separate outputs to charge leisure and cab batteries simultaneously, at a faster rate (CTek is good if you want something to plug in externally and use on different vehicles).

Link Removed

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
The Victron 30A charger is better quality than the CTek and slightly cheaper. It's the best for permanent fitting and has separate outputs to charge leisure and cab batteries simultaneously, at a faster rate (CTek is good if you want something to plug in externally and use on different vehicles).Link Removed
I think you may have linked to the wrong charger. That one only has a single output. Did you mean this one?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Ah, possibly. I assumed the 30A was 3 outputs and lower ratings just one, but there are options on all sizes. I have the 3 output 30A and it is superb, even on a 450Ah battery bank.

Full spec sheet here: http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/user/...Power-Battery-Charger-IP22-180-265-VAC-EN.pdf

I opted for the Rovert charger from the same supplier as it was switchable between full multi stage charger and simple float power supply which suited my needs. Without doubt the best are Sterling, had absolutely no problems with the one on my boat. Tried to get help from the maker of the one supplied by the van manufacturer and they didn't even bother to reply to my e-mail

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back