Recommendations - Child Seats for Under 5s? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Hello folks,

Just acquired our first motorhome (2005 Hymer Classic 644) with 3 x 3 point seat belts in the dinette area, which is where we plan to seat the children (2 and 4 years old).

We were wondering whether anyone could recommend suitable car seats to work with the 3 point belts? In our car we use rear-facing Isofix seats, but I don't think this is an option in the Hymer.

Any advice / recommendations much appreciated - we are going away on our first trip this weekend ;)

Martin & Maeve

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We found Recaro seats to be the most comfortable for long journeys, Halfords usually have them on display (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Thanks for that. Safety is highest priority, with comfort also a key consideration. I wasn't aware Recaro did child seats though

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
Ok, perhaps another way to ask the question: What child car seat are you using for your under 5s?

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Ours have outgrown child seats now.

We started with something similar to Maxi-Cosi Titan (until just after 3yrs)
https://www.johnlewis.com/maxi-cosi-titan-group-1-2-3-child-car-seat-nomad-black/p4151198

Progressed to Maxi-Cosi Rodi Air Protect (until 5-6yrs)
https://www.johnlewis.com/maxi-cosi-rodi-air-protect-group-2-3-car-seat-nomad-black/p3410762

Then, when youngest started complaining about uncomfortable seating upgraded to Recaro Milano, same size as Maxi Cosi but better padding (no longer needed at 9yrs)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
That is great info, Many thanks! I will let you know how we get on :)

Martin

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
We're a big fan of rear facing child car seats for our four-year old in our cars. We prefer the Swedish brands like BeSafe.

With our MH we're stuck with forward facing on a 3 point harness which I'm really not impressed with. There is no way to tie a tether to the front seat anchor points like you can with a car. Without ISOFIX or a tether on the 3 point harness I feel the car seat is not as secure in the MH.

Good luck , I'd like to know what you end up with

Upvote 0

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Go to Halfords, they are very helpful. Find the one that suits then googlfy it for a cheaper option then haggle with Halfords; job done. Make sure you get the ones with detachable backs so they can be turned into boosters when they get bigger.

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Backless boosters aren’t legal anymore. I think existing ones are still allowed, but new ones can’t be sold.

We have a Recaro Monza Nova and a Diono. The only difference between them is one has cup holders and one has headrest speakers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MartMaeve

MartMaeve

Free Member
May 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just starting out..
We've gone for a Maxi-Cosi Rodi Air Max seat used with full 3 point lap belt for our 4 year old and a Maxi Cosi Group 1 car seat with built in harness using lap belt to secure. It works really well, with seats either side by side or facing across the dinette.

Both seats stow easily in one of the rear bunks which would otherwise be unused.

The first trip went well, and now we know that everything on the van works :) Although we were only away for two nights, it was sufficient to point us at things we forgot to pack and others that we now know we wont need. It was good to practice things like hooking up for electrics and water, and using the chemical toilet (cassette system was so easy to empty and reinstall).

We are off again at the weekend, to explore some of our favourite haunts in West Wales once again. Bring on the sunshine and fresh air!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back