Rear view camera. (1 Viewer)

Feb 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Moncayo Mediterraneo 765
Exp
Hi all i have recently purchased a Moncayo Mediterraneo 765 (2009) with only 18000 miles on the clock, i am delighted with it overall but a few re-arrangements and adjustments are needed just to make it ideal for our needs. The reversing camera was of poor quality so have replaced it with a new one. The van is fitted with what i believe to be the factory fitted Pioneer double din head unit, it has a setting for rear view camera but only shows a blank screen, what i would like to know is can i utilise this screen by fitting a second camera for permanent rear view and can i use the existing wiring with a female to twin male cable plug for the input or am i totally on the wrong track. If anyone has any advice it will be greatly appreciated, TIA, Ste.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
Hello.

You need to pop the Pioneer unit out of the dashboard and check the rear connections. The current camera may not be connected, hence the blank screen. You also need to check if it can take a second video input for your second rear view camera.

You won’t be able to use a single cable and a splitter for the two cameras. If you are lucky the van may originally have been cabled with two cables for a twin camera set up. Some manufacturers do this as standard. If not, you need to route a second cable back to the head unit.

Robin

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
if you want to fit a double din unit to a Fiat you normally have to get a dremel out and cut some of the dash away to get the cage in. Is the Pioneer a factory fit or has it been added. It is possible to fit a twin camera on the back using a single cable. If you search the forum I put a post on for someone else who wanted to do the same. You use a relay and switch the feeds from the cameras. Having a camera connected all the while will mean that you cannot use the unit for anything else as the camera overrides everything else. You are not going to see much in a small screen. Mirrors IMHO are much better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi all i have recently purchased a Moncayo Mediterraneo 765 (2009) with only 18000 miles on the clock, i am delighted with it overall but a few re-arrangements and adjustments are needed just to make it ideal for our needs. The reversing camera was of poor quality so have replaced it with a new one. The van is fitted with what i believe to be the factory fitted Pioneer double din head unit, it has a setting for rear view camera but only shows a blank screen, what i would like to know is can i utilise this screen by fitting a second camera for permanent rear view and can i use the existing wiring with a female to twin male cable plug for the input or am i totally on the wrong track. If anyone has any advice it will be greatly appreciated, TIA, Ste.
Easier to change the existing set up to “Permanment rear view”

10 minute job and zero cost

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snails Pace Ste
Feb 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Moncayo Mediterraneo 765
Exp
Thanks Robin, the camera is working when i put the van in reverse i get a great picture so don't understand why there is a blank screen when i switch to permanent rear view unless the camera view can be split via a splitter cable. Eddievanbitz could you explain the process of changing to permanent rear view as that will cover both bases. If there is only the option of adding a second camera i don't fancy re-routing another cable through the van as the shower and toilet are on the back end and i only found the original camera cable plug under a piece of roof trim which was so well fitted i would have missed it if i hadn't got on a ladder to search for it. Thanks all for the various suggestions though seem to be getting closer to a solution.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There are probably two inputs on the head unit. The first is the 'rear view' input that gets viewed by default. The second is the 'reversing' input. There's also probably a lead attached to wiring somewhere to pick up when you are reversing (normally hacked into the reversing light). If this is the case, switch the camera to the other input and disconnect the reversing wire.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks Robin, the camera is working when i put the van in reverse i get a great picture so don't understand why there is a blank screen when i switch to permanent rear view unless the camera view can be split via a splitter cable. Eddievanbitz could you explain the process of changing to permanent rear view as that will cover both bases. If there is only the option of adding a second camera i don't fancy re-routing another cable through the van as the shower and toilet are on the back end and i only found the original camera cable plug under a piece of roof trim which was so well fitted i would have missed it if i hadn't got on a ladder to search for it. Thanks all for the various suggestions though seem to be getting closer to a solution.
Yes the system will be wired with 12 VDC and a "trigger" wire which will connect to the reversing light switch/circuit

So you turn on ignition and yours is on stand by. When you select reverse the image comes on.

Identify that wire and connect it to an ignition supply and when the ignition comes on, so does the image.

Much better way installing it

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
@Lenny HB

Like the idea of the Service Camera . I have to open the window and check where I am. Have you ever had one of these cameras to bits. They are all the same. They use the same chip and same plastic bits to hold the lense. Had one with the picture off centre and they had stuck a round lens over the chip with heat glue. They all must be made in the same factory. No point in spending ££ when one for a £10 is as good.

I sorted a twin camera system on a Swift using a relay and one single cable. Worked a treat and solved the shadowing affect that the two camera system was producing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snails Pace Ste
Feb 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Moncayo Mediterraneo 765
Exp
Thanks Robin and apologies for the long delay in replying. I don't think i have explained myself properly, I would like a permanent rear view while driving then when i put it in reverse a closer view of the rear of the van. the new camera i bought off ebay for £12 is a Buyee ?? model it is a clear colour picture and it replaced a broken one. What i am trying to find is which route the cables took to the head unit so i can add the second camera for permanent rear viewing but all is sealed as the bathroom is at the rear, i realise that the original cable must have gone somewhere but don't want to start stripping the panels from the interior to trace it. This really has got me baffled, i am relatively mechanically minded but if i had hair i would be pulling it out :confused:.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you could see the way they make MHs you would understand why you cannot see the wires. These are usually put in the walls as part of the wiring loom. They certainly don't run cables afterwards. The cable you have will be for one camera and will be a coax cable with a shield and may also have a power lead. These wiring harnesses are supplied by separate companies and are fully tested before they are fitted.

Cannot see the point of a permanent rear view. The one I had on the Swift was terrible. They flash and blink as lighting levels change and are not that clear. Get used to using the mirrors you will be surprised what you can see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snails Pace Ste
Feb 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Moncayo Mediterraneo 765
Exp
Thanks QFour, i was a HGV driver for 25+ years so feel quite competent using side mirrors only i just thought as there was another screen to utilise i would, but if it seems like a lot of hassle i don't think i'll bother. You said the one on your swift was terrible, i have seen videos of a few vans with the twin camera set up and the owners swear by them, but each to their own i guess.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back