Rear doors hitting back of van instead of stopper.... (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Had a result on this today. Great response from Southdown's. All sorted without any fuss or quibbles, door buttons fitted, and light cluster lens replaced. Brilliant after sales service. However without the Funsters I wouldn't have known how to approach the Issue. Big thanks ?

Ginger Beast

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 604LE
Exp
Since 1991
HI LeggySilverFox
I have recently taken delivery of a Malibu 640LE and have had the same problem with he rear doors as you - and not getting much of a response from the local Fiat dealer
My bike rack hit the side panel denting it because there are no restraints fitted. Fiat customer care said contact a local dealer and they will sort it out and fit the restraints.
Local dealer said restraints can be fitted but not the button that allows the doors to open past 90 degrees as the door panel is not original equipment following the conversion.
Also I asked if the door is held fixed at 90 degrees when open - if not how does anyone safely load/unload the van in a wind? I was told the restraints only prevent the doors from opening past 90 degrees but do lock them open or prevent them blowing shut if windy. I find this hard to believe as it renders the van unusable in windy weather for its designed purpose - do your doors gets fixed at 90 degrees by the restraints or can they still blow shut and crush fingers etc if windy?
Thanks in advance...

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
HI LeggySilverFox
I have recently taken delivery of a Malibu 640LE and have had the same problem with he rear doors as you - and not getting much of a response from the local Fiat dealer
My bike rack hit the side panel denting it because there are no restraints fitted. Fiat customer care said contact a local dealer and they will sort it out and fit the restraints.
Local dealer said restraints can be fitted but not the button that allows the doors to open past 90 degrees as the door panel is not original equipment following the conversion.
Also I asked if the door is held fixed at 90 degrees when open - if not how does anyone safely load/unload the van in a wind? I was told the restraints only prevent the doors from opening past 90 degrees but do lock them open or prevent them blowing shut if windy. I find this hard to believe as it renders the van unusable in windy weather for its designed purpose - do your doors gets fixed at 90 degrees by the restraints or can they still blow shut and crush fingers etc if windy?
Thanks in advance...
Hi, sorry to hear of your problems. They now hold at 90 degrees. Not tested them to see what happens if it’s really windy, but they have been fine in a decent breeze.
My mate also has the same issue with a new Westfalia. Can only assume they have been coming out of the Fiat factory like this to cut costs, either not being ordered initially or are now not standard fit.
I was also fortunate enough to be at the dealers when someone with a year older model showed that he had the buttons as standard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
This is what I did.

Buzzybee

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, I have the new restraints fitted twice ( first time they replaced like for like), the current ones stop the door at 90 degrees and as yours any wind causes them to slam shut. We have sold our bike rack( this week) and a local body shop is going to remove the retaining rails that are fixed/ drilled through the bottom and top of the rear door. He estimates 1-2 hours to remove door panels and securing plates etc, so it will be £30 or £60 quid. I cannot attempt the job myself so I will be overjoyed to be rid of a nightmare accessory even though I will have to paid more to have the bolt holes and any affected paintwork rectified!

This is due to be done tomorrow morning and after a trip next week to the Lake District I have the van booked in for a tow bar and bike carrier. I wish that I had done this sooner as the bike rack has hit me on the head twice, damaged tha side body panel twice and it’s bike placement position is so high that me and my good lady have have to use steps to stagger lift bikes on! Just like building the pyramids!!!

cheers to all be safe
Buzzy

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Can I clarify something, please?

The issue of PVC rear doors opening too far; is it only a problem if a door mounted bike rack is fitted or does the problem apply to all Fiat PVCs?

If the problem applies to all PVCs with protruding rear windows, is the restraint people refer to available as a warranty claim from the PVC retailer or from Fiat?

Thanks

Buzzybee

Free Member
Jul 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, a bike rack increases the possibility of damage but the potential problem with door operation seems to be a standard problem on Ducato vans. Fiat will pay for body damage through warranty but the replaced restraints are not 100% effective.
Good luck
Buzzy

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
There are 2 types of factory fitted rear door restraints.
Those that have a spring loaded retainer that are designed to work with a push button in the door trim so you can choose to open the door more than 90°.
Without the button they wont open more than 90°.
Those without the retainer which rely on friction to stop at 90° but with a good swing or strong wind will open wide.

Ginger Beast

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 604LE
Exp
Since 1991
Hi, sorry to hear of your problems. They now hold at 90 degrees. Not tested them to see what happens if it’s really windy, but they have been fine in a decent breeze.
My mate also has the same issue with a new Westfalia. Can only assume they have been coming out of the Fiat factory like this to cut costs, either not being ordered initially or are now not standard fit.
I was also fortunate enough to be at the dealers when someone with a year older model showed that he had the buttons as standard.

Thanks for the reply. From Fiat customer care I understand that a series of 2019 vans were made without the stops and this was subject to a service recommendation but not a vehicle recall-so you have to contact Fiat rather than them telling owners about the problem!
I have got in touch with another Fiat main dealer who seem to be more helpful than the first one I spoke to and am taking the van in next week to discuss how to sort the problem.
I hope to get the dent sorted too and will report back...here's hoping!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back