Rear dash cam as rear view mirror (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

The58Git

Free Member
Nov 29, 2022
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 481(2013)
Exp
New
I would like to fit dash cams front and rear and able to use the rear dash cam as the rear view mirror. Any thoughts or what do other drivers do?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi welcome.

You could use a reversing camera to rear mirror set up. Lots available on line.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Example
CF860026-774E-436D-83AE-277B8009C108.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

The58Git

Free Member
Nov 29, 2022
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 481(2013)
Exp
New
Reversing camera comes as standard with the new Motorhome so want to add Dashcam. The reversing camera is connected to the multi function panel on the dash

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2020
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Would install a dual rear camera with the monitor on the rear view mirror. One camera pointing rearword and the other that points downward for reversing.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Reversing camera comes as standard with the new Motorhome so want to add Dashcam. The reversing camera is connected to the multi function panel on the dash
Ok.
Dash cam no issue some with rear camera additions but it’s a pain to wire it through to the main dash cam over that distance, and what screen would you use to view on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

The58Git

Free Member
Nov 29, 2022
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 481(2013)
Exp
New
Ok.
Dash cam no issue some with rear camera additions but it’s a pain to wire it through to the main dash cam over that distance, and what screen would you use to view on.
Would like system that I could use a screen that clipped over the rear view mirror

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Would like system that I could use a screen that clipped over the rear view mirror
You likely need a separate system then dedicated dash cam and a separate rear view system,
Possibly a rear number plate camera to a rear mirror clipper screen.
Or perhaps a feed off your existing rear camera to a clipped screen.

I like many have a dash cam but I don’t bother with a rear view other than when reversing. All other times I find my mirrors adequate.
But each to our own choices

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I read somewhere recently that a reversing camera is only allowed to show images when reversing. I know that sounds daft!

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would like to fit dash cams front and rear and able to use the rear dash cam as the rear view mirror. Any thoughts or what do other drivers do?
The issue with ALL standard revering camera set ups is the camera angle is too wide making them a pretty poor substitute for a rear view mirror

Ideal set up is a camera with a lens of a focal length not less than 12mm ( I prefer 16mm )
I use a split screen monitor allowing switching between cam 1, cam 2, or both at once
( Cam 2 is a standard reversing camera with standard 120 degree viewing pattern )

As for a dash cam, I use a separate Nextbase for the front.. Played with the idea of a DVR connected to the rear cams but after some thought did not bother

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I read somewhere recently that a reversing camera is only allowed to show images when reversing. I know that sounds daft!
Not sure where you got the info but that would make an AWFUL lot of standard systems fitted in cars illegal !

Lots of top end posh cars use a camera instead of a mirror :)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Welcome to a great new pass time.

I have a 2 lens rearview camera but it is no substitute for the large external cab mirrors. You need to know what is going on alongside you and with a larger, longer vehicle this is far more important than a centre rear view. A rearview camera will lose sight of small fast vehicles at crucial moments (e.g. motorbikes), it is designed to help with reversing and the angles are wrong for driving. You will quickly get used to not having a car rear view mirror and not having one will remind you to use the important external mirrors.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

The58Git

Free Member
Nov 29, 2022
Stroud, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 481(2013)
Exp
New
Welcome to a great new pass time.

I have a 2 lens rearview camera but it is no substitute for the large external cab mirrors. You need to know what is going on alongside you and with a larger, longer vehicle this is far more important than a centre rear view. A rearview camera will lose sight of small fast vehicles at crucial moments (e.g. motorbikes), it is designed to help with reversing and the angles are wrong for driving. You will quickly get used to not having a car rear view mirror and not having one will remind you to use the important external mirrors.
I am looking for dash cam that can be used as a driving aid if needed, as the Motorhomes we have hired have had rear view camera and found it useful.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I have an inbuilt rear view camera that is always on but the field of vision is so wide that it is rather ineffectual as a mirror. Cars that are only 15-20 metres away appear as a dot on the horizon. Even in stationary traffic they appear some distance back.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have an inbuilt rear view camera that is always on but the field of vision is so wide that it is rather ineffectual as a mirror. Cars that are only 15-20 metres away appear as a dot on the horizon. Even in stationary traffic they appear some distance back.
I find mine useful for keeping an eye on the toad but as you say ineffective for judging distances. Frankly I think they are dangerous if used for the wrong purposes and just distract the driver from using the proper mirrors.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I've got the set up you seem to be after: two rear cameras, one set up for full rear view, the other pointing down for close-up reversing use. The monitor fits over the rear view mirror.

I started off using it as a rear view mirror when driving, but found that the difference in perspective between the camera and the external mirrors was quite significant. The camera image exaggerates the gap from the back of my vehicle to the one behind it, encouraging pulling out too late / in too early. I've decided not to use the camera when en route, although I do occasionally switch it on to check that I've still got the idiot so close behind me I can't see them in the wing mirrors.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I am looking for dash cam that can be used as a driving aid if needed, as the Motorhomes we have hired have had rear view camera and found it useful.
I don't think a dash cam is your answer. You need a rearview camera and a screen similar to that in post #4 above. There are wireless versions available if you wanted to make it portable, but how would you attach the camera to the rear without a permanent/semi-permanent fixing?

Most systems as noted have two cameras of differing angles, one for reversing and one to replicate a rearview mirror, the screen clips onto the existing rearview mirror. The rearview is permanently on unless one selects reverse when it switches to the other camera which is normally pointed lower down - if in-built, this may be displayed on the radio/media/satnav screen.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted a two rear camera system with a rear view mirror mounted monitor.
One camera points down for reversing and the other for a rear view. I also fitted a two channel DVR that records both rear cameras onto an SD card in case we need any accident or incident footage to playback.

1669808144895.png

1669808251738.png

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back