big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Just a slight word of caution, we have PVC and whilst it is easier to use than a large MH, it isn't a car so can still be difficult to park at times so bear than in mind. We thought we'd be able to do without a 'normal' car and just have the camper and a Smart car but in the end we found it wasn't practical so kept a 'normal' car too.

Thanks Minx, others experiences appreciated. We probably will downsize when older lab goes, but we have 6 berth now so pvc maybe a big jump.

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Don't do it, it's a mistake b b. We went down to a PVC.............tooooooo small for anything over a fortnight away which is why we will be going back up to a coachbuilt next year!(y) Sad to hear about your old lab.:(

We actually only do a fortnight at the most just now, because of lab and old cat and always needed at home somehow. I know maybe to big a jump from 6 berth.:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It really depends what you want/need ... we now have a 6m PVC and wouldn't change it for anything else! We have 3 dogs and don't have a problem with it at all - in effect we have two separate 'lounge' areas: the rear bed and half-dinette at the front, it means that both hubby and me can have our own space if needs be. We've spent 2 x 5 week holidays in it, 1 x 7 week one (with bad weather for nearly half of the time) and didn't have any issues in it at all. So long as you get the right layout and also make sure you get the right 'one' in the first place, there shouldn't be any issues. I do know, however, someone on another forum who downsized form a largish MH to a small PVC (5.5m) and hated it ... he simply went too small and also hated the sliding door ... gawd knows why he didn't think of that before buying it ... we love our sliding door!

We lived in a monster LAIKA when we were house hunting in Spain (now there's a larf!) many moons ago, downsized when we came back and then down sized again to the Rhythm we have now. When I retire finally in 79 weeks and six days time we intend to be somewhere where the sun is at least a weekly occurrence, and that isn't here so the Rhythm just don't cut the mustard I'm afraid despite being cheapish to run and fairly good space at the rear!(y)

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Quite liked the idea of a sliding door, especially wide open in summer with awning. Think a pvc would keep my weight down.:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We actually only do a fortnight at the most just now, because of lab and old cat and always needed at home somehow. I know maybe to big a jump from 6 berth.:(

b b. Some people adjust and some don't. Mrs BB and self like to have space and a PVC (we've had three since 1988) is not what we want to be away in North Norway/Spain/Greece/Morocco etc for 3 months. Think hard before downsizing it may be right but if it isn't.......................... it'll be :cry: before bedtime!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Quite liked the idea of a sliding door, especially wide open in summer with awning. Think a pvc would keep my weight down.:D
... don't forget about the rear doors too ... wonderful slobbing around on the bed in the evening sun watching the world go by with the doors wide open ... pure bliss.

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
QUOTE="Bertie Bassett, post: 1120200, member: 32543"]b b. Some people adjust and some don't. Mrs BB and self like to have space and a PVC (we've had three since 1988) is not what we want to be away in North Norway/Spain/Greece/Morocco etc for 3 months. Think hard before downsizing it may be right but if it isn't.......................... it'll be :cry: before bedtime![/QUOTE]

Thanks when it's time will think carefully but I can't envisage ever being away for 3 months, don't think it's us. Maybe buy a caravan again, god these bathrooms sre spacious.:LOL:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
... don't forget about the rear doors too ... wonderful slobbing around on the bed in the evening sun watching the world go by with the doors wide open ... pure bliss.

Trouble is Minx when I open ours Mrs BB always falls out! Can't see her because of the bike rack and bike covers! :sneaky:

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
You make a wonderful saleswoman.:)(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
QUOTE="Bertie Bassett, post: 1120200, member: 32543"]b b. Some people adjust and some don't. Mrs BB and self like to have space and a PVC (we've had three since 1988) is not what we want to be away in North Norway/Spain/Greece/Morocco etc for 3 months. Think hard before downsizing it may be right but if it isn't.......................... it'll be :cry: before bedtime!

Thanks when it's time will think carefully but I can't envisage ever being away for 3 months, don't think it's us. Maybe buy a caravan again, god these bathrooms sre spacious.:LOL:[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaargh, return to tugging?:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Get a Romahome before you do that, please!;)

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks when it's time will think carefully but I can't envisage ever being away for 3 months, don't think it's us. Maybe buy a caravan again, god these bathrooms sre spacious.:LOL:

Aaaaaargh, return to tugging?:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Get a Romahome before you do that, please!;)[/QUOTE]
Only joking, it's not us, we only stay a couple of days usually. Good job wasn't trying to make up my mind today that would have been the West Lothian question.:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

I've just reread that post Minx.................you are awful, but I like you!:D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought a Romahome a few years ago, and it did. :cry::cry:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We bought a Romahome a few years ago, and it did. :cry::cry:

Our very first van in 1988 petrol 1125cc, miniscule fridge, no heating or hot water...................bog between the rear seats, when you're young you accept all sorts of crap! (see what I did there?)(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Dragging this thread kicking and screaming back to the original subject, we had a bit of a space issue and finally settled on the van we have now. Drop down bed over the cab so that Mrs Deluxe has to put up with a snoring duck, but a massive open lounge and a big bathroom across the back of the van. full kitchen as well.... all in a Froggie van. We should have got an A class years ago. Dog crate goes in the lounge for travelling

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We're thinking of getting something a little larger, but can't be too long or won't fit on driveway. Quite like the Mobilvetta Drivers, but don't really know much about them. We've managed in a 15ft 4" panel van for 7 years, some of that time with 2 dogs. When the weather is good, its not a problem, but its a bit tight when its raining and you're all sat in it with the door shut, glaring at each other!

OP
OP
big bertha
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We're thinking of getting something a little larger, but can't be too long or won't fit on driveway. Quite like the Mobilvetta Drivers, but don't really know much about them. We've managed in a 15ft 4" panel van for 7 years, some of that time with 2 dogs. When the weather is good, its not a problem, but its a bit tight when its raining and you're all sat in it with the door shut, glaring at each other!

Ours suits just now, I take over the back lounge for tele and 1 large lab, hubby has double dinette usually made up into bed for doggy travelling, he has other lab n terrier floats between us.:D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I want a floating dog!!

We used to have the only dog we've ever seen that could not swim....... She used to try doggie paddling but with front paws out of the water for most of the time, resulting in sinking stern first.

The breed?? Flat coated retriever - some gun dog!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back