Re-fitting inverter (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We took the inverter out of the MH when we part exchanged it. We now want to refit it into the new MH. We took photos before we removed it, and as it was fitted to a dedicated socket we thought it would be simple. Our problem is the the leisure batteries are not at the side of each other, so the existing wires will not reach. This will mean new wires between the batteries. Can anyone tell me what thickness cable we will need. The inverter is 1800W pure sinewave.
We have no problem paying someone to fit it, but our local auto electricians car park is dodgy enough to park a car in, never mind a big lump of Carthago. We are running short of time before we leave for France. The MH arrived at the dealers 6 weeks ago and has just gone to Mick Leightley to have VB air fitted.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We took the inverter out of the MH when we part exchanged it. We now want to refit it into the new MH. We took photos before we removed it, and as it was fitted to a dedicated socket we thought it would be simple. Our problem is the the leisure batteries are not at the side of each other, so the existing wires will not reach. This will mean new wires between the batteries. Can anyone tell me what thickness cable we will need. The inverter is 1800W pure sinewave.
We have no problem paying someone to fit it, but our local auto electricians car park is dodgy enough to park a car in, never mind a big lump of Carthago. We are running short of time before we leave for France. The MH arrived at the dealers 6 weeks ago and has just gone to Mick Leightley to have VB air fitted.
The answer depends on how long they are, but whatever length they will need to be very thick. At least 25mm I would think if not thicker. My 2000W one came with 3 cables about 10mm diameter for each pole to attach it to the batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our Victron 2kw inverter requires 70mm cables.
you can buy battery cables off Ebay, cut to size and with the terminals ready fitted.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say at least 50 mm sq, I used 80 for a 2 metre run on our 2000 watt.

Martin

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks all. Sorry I did not make myself clear.
It is the cables that link the two leisure batteries that are about 3 inches too short The batteries are not far apart, but not lined up side by side like the previous ones. They are more 'end to end', the inverter will be sat at the side of the batteries.
We had thought of asking Mick, but he goes on holiday the day he finishes the job.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
50 mm sq will be fine 25 would do, can never be too big only too small, unless it won't go in your terminal of course.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back