re: Dog Passport / Already travelling with Dogs in the EU prior to Oct 31st - No Deal (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Personally I would just go and not give it a second thought.
Hi Chris,

I think this is this most likely outcome from all the information greatfully received in the thread - but it doesn't make the uncertainty any less annoying.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi Chris,

I think this is this most likely outcome from all the information greatfully received in the thread - but it doesn't make the uncertainty any less annoying.

I agree. Have a great trip (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have read ALL the replies and take exception to your reply.

My reply was to a poster that wasn't willing to risk it - maybe you should read the posts yourself.

Apologies if you think it is only your own contributions to my post worthy of reading.

I searched for the relevant EU Regs to try and reassure you but from the post I quoted above you still felt that everything was going to be spoiled in some way....

'And now it comes down to it, it could all be spoiled by something completely out of our control. It's annoying beyond words, and feels so ****ing unfair.'

Don't worry though... I won't be trying to allay your fears further!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In the contents point 3 return to the UK.
Yes only any one of the 3 required, so passport is OK.
I'm more interested in what happens once already there, and just staying there for up to the 90 days, if already in the EU, with Dogs that travelled on the existing passport as no time for any other options now....how do we stand........i.e Can they take the Dogs off us and quarantine them in the EU?

I know this, it's all one big ******* headache.
rentry is good with passport only.
if you don’t have the original blood test result and the UK leaves without a deal you dog will be refused entry or have to be quarantined at your expense.
There is no requirement whatsoever for an animal to have a blood test(titre) to re enter the UK. It is only required to ENTER the EU after a no deal exit assuming the UK leaves and would be classed on par with Morocco.
There is no requirement for s blood test to enter there from the EU either,only for the return into the EU.
As long as you have documentary evidence of the blood rest result, you will be fine. Our
as above. Not needed.
The original info required by the OP was about bringing dogs back into the UK after Oct 31st if the UK leaves without a deal. Dogs already in the EU won’t be effected.
The requirement ( without a deal)
will be documented evidence of a successful blood test.
Without the document the dog will not be admitted into the UK.
It’s then up to you to decide how you want to do and quarantine will be an option you can take. The dog would be quarantined in the UK
This information was given by DEFRA, who will know the full procedure they are advising on.
That's nonsense. A no deal requires only one of 3 things and the existing pet passport suffices. A blood test is only to enter the EU.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
I searched for the relevant EU Regs to try and reassure you but from the post I quoted above you still felt that everything was going to be spoiled in some way....

'And now it comes down to it, it could all be spoiled by something completely out of our control. It's annoying beyond words, and feels so ****ing unfair.'

Don't worry though... I won't be trying to allay your fears further!

That's a shame - as your earlier posts were (are) very much appreciated, and have certainly helped allay my fears a little (genuinely appreciated).

Though as everything is still "up in the air", even though your posts most certainly have leant us towards pressing ahead, the situation is still so uncertain that I feel my response to the other poster was a reasonable comment, and did not justify you trying to tell me that I have not read the posts, as that couldn't be further from the truth.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
THANKS for ALL the replies - next task is trying to find a BF crossing with space for 3 Dogs sometime next month.

Rhodeska

Free Member
Nov 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On my third van
Is there any clarity as to how we would stand legally if already traveling in the EU prior to Oct 31st, with Dogs on a UK Passport. If we leave with no deal in place?
We went out before the 31st of March & didn’t have a recent rabies jab or paperwork. Our dog had a rabies injection October 18 and it was still valid. It was going to cost £200+, that would have been wasted.
We’re out before the 31st October & doing exactly the same again. I’m not lining the pockets of The Elite or their dictatating top dog!!!
If my dog stays out, I stay out, we’ll spend our money in Europe while watching the recession in UK?

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
I can, at my time of life, think of worse things than being 'stuck' in France for four months.

Baguettes, croissants, weather, cheap Aires and no listening to all the Political events filling our screens, airways and newspapers.

Almost worth staying abroad....

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The only times we have ever had to show our dogs’ passports have been at the French vets for the worming treatment and at Pet Control at the tunnel and that includes crossing between Schengen and non-Schengen countries. I don’t see that changing. If you are worried about French vets not signing the passport for the worming treatment, get an email confirmation from DEFRA, print it off and take it with you.

I can understand how concerned you are as we were the same when we went in April but getting confirmation from DEFRA and our vet set our minds at rest.

Have a great holiday.

If your dogs are fond of particular treats and food, take them with you as most aren’t available in France. The extra weight will be eaten, giving you space to bring back all those goodies! Don’t worry too much about poo bags. We are still using the free ones we found everywhere in France!

Apart from preparing for the dogs, have you got International Driving Licences and made sure that you have at least 6 months left on your own passports?

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Apart from preparing for the dogs, have you got International Driving Licences and made sure that you have at least 6 months left on your own passports?
Hi,

Passports are OK, and will be getting the Driving Permits next time in the main post office.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
THANKS for ALL the replies - next task is trying to find a BF crossing with space for 3 Dogs sometime next month.
Our dog stays in the vehicle on BF crossings, except the long one to Santender of course. On this trip we came Portsmouth/Caen overnight but we normally do Plymouth/Roscoff. The overnight ones are probably best for the dog as the timings more or less match when he would be asleep. But the day crossings aren't too long and the dog has been fine on these too.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Our dog stays in the vehicle on BF crossings, except the long one to Santender of course. On this trip we came Portsmouth/Caen overnight but we normally do Plymouth/Roscoff. The overnight ones are probably best for the dog as the timings more or less match when he would be asleep. But the day crossings aren't too long and the dog has been fine on these too.
Hi,

We've never done one of the shorter routes with BF, and always had to leave the Dog in the Kennels up on the top deck on the Spanish routes. Not that she was ever in the kennel as there was 4 of us on a Dog Sitting Rota, during daylight hours she would be out constantly.

Also slightly unsure on the shorter crossings how I feel about leaving the 3 Dogs that we now have, in the Van, as the Cocker Spaniels are still partial to a chew, and I don't think it fair for them to be crated in the Van for the full crossing.

Can you go to them when they are in the Van on the shorter BF routes or is it as per the Dover Routes where there is no access to them?

I would like to stick with BF as we currently have circa £600 sat in a booking that we have kept nudging forwards from cancelled plans a while back.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
That's a shame - as your earlier posts were (are) very much appreciated, and have certainly helped allay my fears a little (genuinely appreciated).

Though as everything is still "up in the air", even though your posts most certainly have leant us towards pressing ahead, the situation is still so uncertain that I feel my response to the other poster was a reasonable comment, and did not justify you trying to tell me that I have not read the posts, as that couldn't be further from the truth.

Thanks again.

I didn't say you hadn't read the posts. I said that you didn't appear to have read the information.

The information I was referring to were the links you were given to actual EU legislation and UK government advice. It's there in black and white... it's not uncertain or up in the air - that is your perception of it.

Jul 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Hobby 700
Exp
3 years
We have just got off the phone to DEFRA. If your dog has had the Titra blood test carried out in the UK then you cannot travel into Europe for 3 months. Our dogs had their test done on 14th August so we cannot travel with them into Europe until 6th November. Also we were told that customs are tightening up the checking of pets and passports the closer we are getting to 31st October. Hope this helps.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If your pet has had a rabies jab (not a booster) and you don’t get a titre test done you are risking the life of your pet! There are many instances of the rabies jab not taking leaving the pet at risk. If you love your pet it’s a false economy and in my view, irresponsible, not to have a titre test just to save money!

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
If your pet has had a rabies jab (not a booster) and you don’t get a titre test done you are risking the life of your pet! There are many instances of the rabies jab not taking leaving the pet at risk. If you love your pet it’s a false economy and in my view, irresponsible, not to have a titre test just to save money!

Hi,

But isn't this exactly how it has been done for the past few years, since the slight relaxation of the Passport rules?

What if it wasn't about saving money and more about having a window of opportunity to go with a Dog that hasn't got a Passport and we don't have 4 Months time to wait to get one.

(I'm not being argumentative with you - just questioning that if Brexit hadn't have happened, or if we don't leave without a deal, that the current rules are 21 days after the administration of the Rabies Jab?)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Hi,

But isn't this exactly how it has been done for the past few years, since the slight relaxation of the Passport rules?

What if it wasn't about saving money and more about having a window of opportunity to go with a Dog that hasn't got a Passport and we don't have 4 Months time to wait to get one.

(I'm not being argumentative with you - just questioning that if Brexit hadn't have happened, or if we don't leave without a deal, that the current rules are 21 days after the administration of the Rabies Jab?)
I think your missing my point, your dog is at risk if you have not had a titre test, Brexit or no Brexit, your choice:unsure::unsure:

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
I think your missing my point, your dog is at risk if you have not had a titre test, Brexit or no Brexit, your choice:unsure::unsure:

Hi,

No, I get your point, 100%.

And in an ideal world I totally agree, better to ensure that the Dog has the correct % of antibodies or whatever it is they check for. But we're in the unfortunate position where we can only go using the current criteria, as 4 months (minimum) would not allow us to go in October, and we had no opportunity to have done this 3 or 4 months ago.

Thanks

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
We have just got off the phone to DEFRA. If your dog has had the Titra blood test carried out in the UK then you cannot travel into Europe for 3 months. Our dogs had their test done on 14th August so we cannot travel with them into Europe until 6th November. Also we were told that customs are tightening up the checking of pets and passports the closer we are getting to 31st October. Hope this helps.

I've just got off the phone from DEFRA (the Pet Helpline Tel Number).

I explained that unfortunately we don't have the benefit of being able to wait for the titre test, and then the subsequent 3 months wait to travel.

The Lady was quite adamant that under current laws, and as we don't know what the final outcome of any of the Brexit negotiating will be.

That we would be legal to get the Dogs a passport upon having the Rabies Inoculation, and travel to the EU 21 days after this. She also (as per many of the posts within this thread), said there should be no issue with returning, or any onward EU travel, as at the time of our leaving, we had everything in place as per current legislation.

Not ideal as would have liked to get the titre done for added peace of mind. But we have what we have unfortunately.

THANKS again, for ALL the input.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I've just got off the phone from DEFRA (the Pet Helpline Tel Number).

I explained that unfortunately we don't have the benefit of being able to wait for the titre test, and then the subsequent 3 months wait to travel.

The Lady was quite adamant that under current laws, and as we don't know what the final outcome of any of the Brexit negotiating will be.

That we would be legal to get the Dogs a passport upon having the Rabies Inoculation, and travel to the EU 21 days after this. She also (as per many of the posts within this thread), said there should be no issue with returning, or any onward EU travel, as at the time of our leaving, we had everything in place as per current legislation.

Not ideal as would have liked to get the titre done for added peace of mind. But we have what we have unfortunately.

THANKS again, for ALL the input.

For your own peace of mind, you could get the test done anyway as it might be needed for future visits. It has to be done 30 days after the jab so you may not get the result back before you go but I am sure your vet would email a copy to you. Do check what your vet will charge as some are asking far too much. The lab charges £55 + VAT.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Hi,

I considered doing exactly that, if there are 30 days before we go away (we may have already left). Also, I was unsure of any implications (or how I would feel) if it came back insufficient.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can you go to them when they are in the Van on the shorter BF routes or is it as per the Dover Routes where there is no access to them?
As far as I know you can't access the car deck during the voyage, there are announcements to this effect. But if you chose a night sailing this shouldn't be necessary, you'd just be waking them up. :)

If you can get a pet friendly cabin it would be ideal but they are difficult to get unless you book months in advance.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Hi,

I considered doing exactly that, if there are 30 days before we go away (we may have already left). Also, I was unsure of any implications (or how I would feel) if it came back insufficient.
Look, we all take risks in life and I understand the problem as you have booked your journey, but I don’t think the issue is about how you would feel if the titre test showed insufficient antibodies it is more about how you would feel if your dog gets rabies! As someone whose dog has been bitten by a wild cat and whose wife has been bitten by a wild dog whilst abroad, I would Just take extra precautions whilst away, keep your dog on a lead and muzzle the wife so she can’t bite back;)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Yes only any one of the 3 required, so passport is OK.
rentry is good with passport only.
There is no requirement whatsoever for an animal to have a blood test(titre) to re enter the UK. It is only required to ENTER the EU after a no deal exit assuming the UK leaves and would be classed on par with Morocco.
There is no requirement for s blood test to enter there from the EU either,only for the return into the EU.
as above. Not needed.

That's nonsense. A no deal requires only one of 3 things and the existing pet passport suffices. A blood test is only to enter the EU.
Sorry but Defra quoted what I wrote here so they are ones who know.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sorry Allanm, that is not DEFRA’s advice. I have copied this from their site:
“There will be no change to the current health preparations for pets entering Great Britain from the EU after Brexit.”

A titre test certificate will not be required. The need for it will be for dogs entering the EU if we leave without a deal because we will be treated as a 3rd Country.

Please, don’t take info from people on here, check the DEFRA website and if you are still not clear about anything, email them.
I didn’t take info from people on here, I spoke
to Defra who confirmed exactly what I wrote.
There appear to conflicting reports from people on here who have contacted DEFRA, like us, and other who may or may not have interpreted the rules correctly, but there will be only one right way!

The information I asked for was about returning to the UK after a no deal Brexit and I was specifically told that to re enter the UK from the EU after a no deal Brexit I would need to ensure our dogs passport had the original blood test results entered into it.

This was in February this year while we were in France and due to return after the original Brexit date and our concern was how the regulations would operate in the event of a no deal.
Although our dog had the rabies vaccinations, there were no details entered about the blood test results in the passport because although he had a successful blood test, there was ( then) no requirement to enter the results in the passport.
DEFRA told us that we would need the original blood test results to enter the UK from France if there was not a deal.
i appreciate things may have changed, and requirements may or may not be different now, but it would be prudent to contact DEFRA for the latest information as their website isn’t as clear as it could be.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Copied and pasted from Gov.UK.

Return to the UK
Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:
  • an EU pet passport (issued in the EU or in the UK prior to Brexit)
  • the animal health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU (which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued)
  • a UK pet health certificate (for travel into the UK only)
Check the routes before you travel. You must travel using approved routes. Your documents and microchip will be checked when entering England, Scotland or Wales (Great Britain). Different rules apply in Northern Ireland.
There will be no change to the current health preparations for pets entering Great Britain from the EU after Brexit

It seems very clear to me!

Mrs QFour

Jul 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat Hobby 700
Exp
3 years
We were also given the same info as alanm earlier this year when we rang Defra regarding having to have the blood test results in our dogs passports to regain entry into the UK. I will point out that for any owners who have had this blood test carried out so they can travel with their pets, cannot travel until 3 calendar months have elapsed from the date of when the blood test was carried out. This is Europe setting this law not Defra law according to Defra.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back