re: Dog Passport / Already travelling with Dogs in the EU prior to Oct 31st - No Deal (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Is there any clarity as to how we would stand legally if already traveling in the EU prior to Oct 31st, with Dogs on a UK Passport. If we leave with no deal in place?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Why wouldn’t the UK let you back into the country with or without a deal?

Requirements might change when travelling out of the UK into europe but I can’t see how regulations would change for UK citizens and their dogs going back. We’re certainly not concerned and we won’t be returning to the UK until early December.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No, it depends on what category of third country we leave with.

The regulations you’ve quoted are for pets travelling to europe, not returning from it.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
I'm more interested in what happens once already there, and just staying there for up to the 90 days, if already in the EU, with Dogs that travelled on the existing passport as no time for any other options now....how do we stand........i.e Can they take the Dogs off us and quarantine them in the EU?

I know this, it's all one big ******* headache.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We spoke to a DEFRA about this in February ( in preparation for if we left in March ) and were told that as long as we had a current pet passport and the correct paperwork from the vet showing our dog had a successful rabies antibody blood test result, we were ok.

if you don’t have the original blood test result and the UK leaves without a deal you dog will be refused entry or have to be quarantined at your expense.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I'm more interested in what happens once already there, and just staying there for up to the 90 days, if already in the EU, with Dogs that travelled on the existing passport as no time for any other options now....how do we stand........i.e Can they take the Dogs off us and quarantine them in the EU?

No, there will be no change to dogs already in the EU, it’s entering the UK that might be a problem for some, as above

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
No, there will be no change to dogs already in the EU, it’s entering the UK that might be a problem for some, as above

But if you had a valid passport for the dog at the time of leaving....everything will be OK to stay out...and everything will be OK to return?

* One of our Dogs has a passport dating back to the more stringent (Titre?) test where 4 months had to elapse, the other 2 will only be going about getting a passport in the coming days using the later 21 days regulation.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
But if you had a valid passport for the dog at the time of leaving....everything will be OK to stay out...and everything will be OK to return?

* One of our Dogs has a passport dating back to the more stringent (Titre?) test where 4 months had to elapse, the other 2 will only be going about getting a passport in the coming days using the later 21 days regulation.
Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:

• an EU pet passport (issued in the EU or in the UK prior to Brexit)
  • the animal health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU (which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued)
  • a UK pet health certificate (for travel into the UK only)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
As long as you have documentary evidence of the blood rest result, you will be fine. Our dog had the same test as yours but the blood test result wasn’t shown in the passport, because at the time it didn’t need to be, the passport couldn’t be issued without a successful blood test.
We rang our vet to see if they still had the result of the blood test but they didn’t.
it’s all academic now as our dog died last month.
if you are still unsure, phone DEFRA for clarification, but if you don’t physically have to blood test result and there is no deal your dog will not be allowed back in the UK.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
The info given by BigMap is the same as given to us back in April. I emailed DEFRA as I was unsure where the worm treatment should be recorded and was told on the passport.

If in doubt, ask DEFRA!

Check Allanm’s point about not being allowed back if you don’t have the titre test certificate. This test is not a requirement for obtaining a passport at the moment and as long as the rabies jab itself is recorded on the passport, their should be no problem.

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
As long as you have documentary evidence of the blood rest result, you will be fine. Our dog had the same test as yours but the blood test result wasn’t shown in the passport, because at the time it didn’t need to be, the passport couldn’t be issued without a successful blood test.
We rang our vet to see if they still had the result of the blood test but they didn’t.
if you are still unsure, phone DEFRA for clarification, but if you don’t physically have to blood test result and there is no deal your dog will not be allowed back in the UK.
Im sorry to read about your dog. It’s heartbreaking.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Here’s info on pets travelling into EU countries from countries outside it. No mention of quarantine.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp

Really sorry to hear about your Dog. I know just how hard that hits.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Here’s info on pets travelling into EU countries from countries outside it. No mention of quarantine.

The original info required by the OP was about bringing dogs back into the UK after Oct 31st if the UK leaves without a deal. Dogs already in the EU won’t be effected.
The requirement ( without a deal)
will be documented evidence of a successful blood test.
Without the document the dog will not be admitted into the UK.
It’s then up to you to decide how you want to do and quarantine will be an option you can take. The dog would be quarantined in the UK
This information was given by DEFRA, who will know the full procedure they are advising on.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Sorry Allanm, that is not DEFRA’s advice. I have copied this from their site:
“There will be no change to the current health preparations for pets entering Great Britain from the EU after Brexit.”

A titre test certificate will not be required. The need for it will be for dogs entering the EU if we leave without a deal because we will be treated as a 3rd Country.

Please, don’t take info from people on here, check the DEFRA website and if you are still not clear about anything, email them.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We are leaving next Sunday the 8th, and will not be back until mid November, and our little dog will be with us, can't forsee any problems with that, will have to look at again for traveling out next time :wondering:

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Believe what you want. Our great leader hasn't got a clue about what is going to happen but whatever does happen or not it is a pet you are responsible for, I have not risked it this year.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Believe what you want. Our great leader hasn't got a clue about what is going to happen but whatever does happen or not it is a pet you are responsible for, I have not risked it this year.

The trouble is, up until now we have had zero chance to get away for quite some time (it has been over 2 years since we crossed the channel), and these are the times that we have been looking forwards to for in excess of 10 years, and it is only a series of events now (both kids at Uni, folks at home to keep an eye on the house, family to watchover elderly parents, etc).

And now it comes down to it, it could all be spoiled by something completely out of our control. It's annoying beyond words, and feels so ****ing unfair.

Who knows when / if we'll ever get the chance again.

I'm sick to the back teeth of this ridiculous Brexit debacle.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The trouble is, up until now we have had zero chance to get away for quite some time (it has been over 2 years since we crossed the channel), and these are the times that we have been looking forwards to for in excess of 10 years, and it is only a series of events now (both kids at Uni, folks at home to keep an eye on the house, family to watchover elderly parents, etc).

And now it comes down to it, it could all be spoiled by something completely out of our control. It's annoying beyond words, and feels so ****ing unfair.

Who knows when / if we'll ever get the chance again.

I'm sick to the back teeth of this ridiculous Brexit debacle.

Surely the information you have been given in the posts above must set your mind at rest?

The UK won't make any changes to the rules of entry.

The EU Regs don't mention anything about quarantine for pets from countries outside the EU. That being the case, you don't have to fear that your pet will be impounded and placed into quarantine which you said you feared would happen if a no deal brexit should happen.

You appear not to be taking the trouble to actually read the information for yourself. It can't be clearer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are coming back on the 31st too but that's just to avoid any possible border disruption afterwards. But as already covered, entering the UK shouldn't be a problem after 31 October as the existing UK rules will still apply.

Where there is a grey area is having a dog in the EU after 31 October which doesn't have a titre test certificate. This is because all dogs entering the EU after 31 October are likely to need one if we are classed as a third country. I dont know if they will enforce this on entry after 31 October but will they enforce it retrospectively on dogs which entered before this date? I find it hard to think they will.

My suggestion is just carry on with your plans.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
You appear not to be taking the trouble to actually read the information for yourself. It can't be clearer.

I have read ALL the replies and take exception to your reply.

My reply was to a poster that wasn't willing to risk it - maybe you should read the posts yourself.

Apologies if you think it is only your own contributions to my post worthy of reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
I dont know if they will enforce this on entry after 31 October but will they enforce it retrospectively on dogs which entered before this date? I find it hard to think they will.

My suggestion is just carry on with your plans.

Hi DBK,

This has been the crux of my concerns from the get go. There are lots of opinions on what will or won't happen (and I have read all the posts - and appreciated them).

Nonetheless, I would say there is still a huge amount of uncertainty, regarding how Dogs already in the EU will be treated whilst staying in the EU, beyond Brexit, in a GB plated Motorhome (I'm not overly worried about getting back in).

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK,

This has been the crux of my concerns from the get go. There are lots of opinions on what will or won't happen (and I have read all the posts - and appreciated them).

Nonetheless I would say there is still a huge amount of uncertainty, regarding how Dogs already in the EU will be treated whilst staying the EU, after Brexit, in a GB plated Motorhome (I'm not overly worried about getting back in).
I think there are so many uncertainties, dogs leaving the EU won't be on the radar. I could be wrong but if you are not planning on returning until well after the 31st then wait to see what happens and is reported here. You may have to find a vet in France and have a titre test done at worst.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I th
Hi DBK,

Nonetheless I would say there is still a huge amount of uncertainty, regarding how Dogs already in the EU will be treated whilst staying the EU, after Brexit, in a GB plated Motorhome (I'm not overly worried about getting back in).
There are uncertainties with regard to dogs as well as people. One of which is that your UK issued Pet passport will no longer be a valid document in the EU in a no deal Brexit. What actual effect that will have is anyone's guess. Will it be accepted at a vet for the worming treatment or at Calais for boarding? I asked the question of DFDS last April just before the last deadline and they couldn't tell me...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back