RCD sticking-habitation 'fail'. Possible remedy. (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Above our RCD (Residual Current Device) on our Bailey (2012) there is sign saying "push test button monthly." I'd not spotted this until today when the van was having its annual habitation test. We have this done, not because the van is still under warranty and therefore this is a requirement, but because we want any problems with the gas and electrical systems identified early.

Today, the tester (who incidentally is first rate, thank you Kiwi Leisure) tested the time it took for the RCD to operate and it failed. The RCD's function is to protect you from a potentially fatal shock if there is a fault in your electrical system or an appliance. Working properly the RCD should shut off the current in a fraction of second. Anyway, repeated tests showed a respond time too slow to pass the required time limit. The tester asked if I ever pressed the test button. I replied (honestly) "only ever now and again". He said that ideally, one should do so monthly but also to operate the blue RCD switch five or six times at the same time when testing the RCD.

He then proceeded to turn the blue switch on five or six times each time measuring the response time. After each time the response time reduced so that by about the 10th turn, the response time was within acceptable limits. The alternative was to buy and fit a new RCD. Doing so did not seem like rocket science as I asked him if it was a DIY job but think I'd be happier having one fitted and checked.

Anyway, after a few more tests, he was happy that the current RCD (no pun intended) was fine. So the moral of this boring post is:

1. Test your RCD regularly
  2. Also give the switch itself a workout by switching it five or six times.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I used to find this when testing electrical work in customers houses, they should all have the button pushed once a month but nobody does it, including me

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
We had this when we had our kitchen fitted - the guy putting in the new circuit said 'your RCD is too slow... hold on <click> <click> <click> <click> <click> ... fine now'.

Since then we have had the fuse box replaced and have RCBOs, so in theory a dozen or so buttons to press regularly :)

cheers,

Robin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back