Raspberry Pi, touch screen display (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I managed to find a little time, and installed a RPi 3b+ on the victron gear in the van. I have a mifi on all the time and will be connecting everything to the PI, chargers battery monitor , inverter etc. Currently I use a digital GX remote panel to control the inverter. Once connected to the PI, I will need a screen to turn it on off. What screen can I use ? Or what you guys use as a touch screen for everyday control when you are in the van. I know I can use it via phone or pad, but I would like to fill the void left by the GX once removed. The original PI screen is to small, and the PI will be in the cupboard. Any screen will do, are they plug and play? or is some drives to flash to the PI. Many thanks

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm using the Pi official 7" touch screen which has had scripts written for it to allow screen dimming and and auto screen turn off after a set time of your choosing, and is reactivated by touching.
The Pi mounts to the back of the screen and there are cases available for the Pi official 7" touch screen for wall and table top mounting.

https://www.okdo.com/p/official-ras...zMfJwglSXe3XfYWBNxQaAi2SEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Amazon product ASIN B01GQFUWIC
1624648712937.png

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Plug in a cheap VK-162 G-MOUSE gps receiver and you have a tracker with geo fencing via the Victron VRM

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Two on Tour, I appreciate your help and advise. Can I pick your brains a little more? The screen you use seems to have the RPi at the back of it? I have about a meter between the PI and screen location. I have found some screens that uses hdmi for display and usb for control. I can’t afford to loose one of the usb on the Pi as I got 4 devices to plug in and all taken. Is the original using a different connection?
Thank you 🙏

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The video cable between the 7" Pi touch screen and the Pi is a 15 way ribbon cable of which you can get in 1 metre or 2 metre lengths.
You can power both the screen and the Pi independently, but you will need a couple of wires to run between the screen and the Pi GPIO to use the touch.
You should be able to connect more devices to the Pi by using a powered USB hub which I have successfully done.
I you need more VE.Direct cables, then let me know as you can make your own for less than a fiver each.
I'll PM you over the links to get the auto off and dimming, plus a script to auto backup the changes you make to the Venus OS when the OS is updated by Victron.

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you, you are a gentleman. I did manage to diy the VE cables with usb serial converter and jst 2.0 four way. I’m gonna test the inverter via mk3 usb. Haven’t connected this one yet.

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Just a update, ordered the official RPi 7” screen as Two on Tour recommended. In the meantime, I’m routing the cables and connect to devices as I go along. The inverter works fine via VE.bus MK3 to usb. It needs the no2 dip switch in the inverter to on position, to allow remote control, and leave the main switch to on. I can turn it on-off via phone app from anywhere where I have signal.

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Big thank you to ever so helpful Two on Tour. I had the privilege to meet this gentleman and his other half. I stumbled with the screen display and asked for his help. He helped me more than I could imagine or ask for. All working as it should, thanks to your help.🤝
I’m gonna get hold of a afterburner next.
I think we should do a RPi tread and collect all the info in one place.

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
Does the touchscreen offer anything over and above what you get via phone or tablet with the remote console, as I do have a spare RPi screen (somewhere).

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Screen dimming time out and display off. I can’t think of any other features at the moment. We got two tablets and two phones on board. Thing is, I can have the wifi off and still turn the inverter on off. Over the LAN not so, unless is on. I like a dedicated screen in place as I’m used to the colour GX. The 7” touch screen Is perfect for sausage fingers, any smaller you will need a pen for small digits and scroll.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Does the touchscreen offer anything over and above what you get via phone or tablet with the remote console, as I do have a spare RPi screen (somewhere).

For me the main advantage of the touch screen in our van is the convenience of it being to hand rather than tumbling about on a phone or tablet, plus there is no lag, touch and instant reaction to a menu command.

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I guess if your used to the Colour GX , looking for an additional device is a nuisance. The RPi is ideal for the MH for many reasons , currently running one permanently for Venos OS connected to the vrm portal and another running Volumio with an audio hat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back