Rapido 240v battery charge query ? (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,
We have a new to us Rapido (2015) and it is fitted with a PC 320/2 control panel, you can adjust some settings for engine / leisure batts on it ? There is also a CBE 240v onboard charger.
Question is does the charger need anything doing to it for Gel batts ? All the booklet indecate that there is nothing to do if you change from FLA to Gels or I should say there is no info in the book simply a very small bit of print indecating nothing to change ? I am aware that most need jumpers moving but there is no mention of this or indeed that the charger has jumpers to move. It looks like there is nothing to do but thought I would ask to be sure :)
I should say we are putting the Gels in and removing FLA
Thanks Terry

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Lisa has answered the question after googling the charger specs :D2 It is self selecting (automatic) between FLA and GELS so nothing to do (y)
Still no idea what the setting's on the control panel do :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Terry... im not doubting Lisas ability to google :D but the cbe charger in my 2016 chanson has a selector switch if gel batteries are fitted... I think its a cb 516 model charger..
if the charger cover is removed the tiny selector switch is beside the small cooling fan..

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi Terry... im not doubting Lisas ability to google :D but the cbe charger in my 2016 chanson has a selector switch if gel batteries are fitted... I think its a cb 516 model charger..
if the charger cover is removed the tiny selector switch is beside the small cooling fan..

Andy
Cheers Andy, i've had a look and it's a CBE320/2 and it does auto select. Rapido put it in a stupid place where you can't get to it very easily but we will see if we can remove the cover to double check (y)
Hope you are well mate....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How does the charger differentiate between gel and FLA other than seeing a fully charged, so higher voltage than FLA, gel battery at installation.
If the gel is part charged it could be mistaken for a better charged FLA on a voltage basis.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lisa has answered the question after googling the charger specs :D2 It is self selecting (automatic) between FLA and GELS so nothing to do (y)
Still no idea what the setting's on the control panel do :)
Normally FLA & Gel's charge to the same voltage but Gel's need a much longer absorption phase to get to a fully charged state. So to get the best out of your batteries I would expect to have to change the settings.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
re-checked and you're all right. We had to get a mirror cause the charger is at the side of the seat a couple of inches from the wall and facing the wall! Once we got the mirror we could see the model no and it's the same as @andy63 ----took the cover off and found the switch. sorted. Thanks for your help (y)

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This is the info for the charger from an ebay sale....

It is automatic, so it can be connected without damaging the battery and load stages IUoU, offering the proper to the State of the battery voltage.
You can select the type of battery: acid and AGM or Gel.
You have 220v Schuko type plug connection and connection to 12v with positive and negative. It has load signal cable into the switchboard of CBE.

Voltage of 14.1 v maintenance in acid and 14.3 v gel. Voltage of 13.5 v floating on acid and 13.8v gel.

So we are now assuming that we have to change the parameters on the control panel for each battery....ie starter and leisures. From our understanding it charges the starter battery first (FLA) and then switches over to the gel leisures.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
So we are now assuming that we have to change the parameters on the control panel for each battery....ie starter and leisures. From our understanding it charges the starter battery first (FLA) and then switches over to the gel leisures.

me again Terry:LOL:... and not sure I can help cause I don't know your control panel... but as you know it is more usual for the leisure battery to take priority and the start battery gets a trickle when the leisure battery voltage is indicating a good state of charge.. that's certainly the set up on my van using the mains charger.. and id be surprised if it wasn't the same on yours..
not sure what changing the parameters on the control panel could do... the charger is set foe whatever its set for and the control panel is unlikely to change that .. ie if you have it set for gel then the start battery is going to get charged at that setting as well... and that appears not to be an issue for the start batteries..
would be better getting a response from someone with a similar van , but thats my thoughts..

Andy

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That sounds good to me Andy:Dvery little info in the Rapido hand book :) It looks like you can set the parameters on the control panel and we are now armed with info from above so Lisa will have a go at playing with the CP settings :D it may do something or not but I am sure it won't hurt anything or stop working :D2

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
"CB516-3 and CB520-3 battery chargers can charge automatically lead acid, lead-gel and AGM batteries with innovative charging lines."
This is somewhat misleading. They do not switch between types automatically. They charge automatically provided the switch is set to the correct type:
12V BATTERY CHARGER : CB516-3 CB520-3
BATTERY TYPE SELECTOR: 3 posizioni (A - B - C) 3 positions(A - B - C)

I think the switch is on the charger, not the control panel.

Edit. I see you've sorted it already.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back