Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
I couldn't find ramps with a "Stop" at the top.
Having seen others drive off ramp and flown solo at TT last year I found it quite exciting using our Milenco Wedge XL.
So I've added a "Stop".
Bigger than needed but I had 25mm marine ply and 40mm screws so needed to double up. 3 screws fixing up through ramp and additional 2 down from top, angled. A little fettling to shape, I need to sharpen plough plane.

Step 1.jpg Step 4.jpg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Nice fix.
We were sitting in Padstow harbour last year on a hot day, so grabbed a cornet. Our friends with us have a little dog. I noticed he kept tugging relentlessly at the lead driving the friends mad. I soon realised that the dogs attention had been attracted to a shop that sold all the usual beach stuff including squeaky toys which seemingly every passer by had to give test squeeze to. We were about 20 yards away, but could hear it, for the dog with it's hearing being much acuter it must have been torture.
It did get me thinking though, and Mrs BBF thought I was so kind when I went off and bought 3 of them, one of which I gave to the dog straight away, and he set about destroying it with a gusto. "Are you saving the rest for later" she asked, " no I said, their for me". Which had them all chuckling.
Once home the plan went into action. I cut a short section of heavy duty inner tube and popped the squeaky toy inside of it.
Now the test, set the ramps out, decide how far you want to travel up the ramps, set the squeaky toy down, ease forward, and hey ho, easily audible when it's run over. No more craning out of the window, or frantic arm waving for Mrs BBF. Works for me if not everyone, nice and light as well.
Mike.

OP
OP
J

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
As newbies, we tried, simply putting a block part way but we're cr*p at guessing level point.
Investigating retro fitting leveling jacks, a job for 2024 as we're on the road 04/23 - 04/24.
We have lengths of 50mm board and "Lego" ramps to supplement if more height needed.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Would be small bit afraid that if I went too far the wood could cause the screw to swivel up into the tyre. Always a bit afraid I’m going to go over so do like the idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Would be small bit afraid that if I went too far the wood could cause the screw to swivel up into the tyre. Always a bit afraid I’m going to go over so do like the idea.
The idea and tested result if you notice when you hit the "stop".
You'd really need to try to go "too far".

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I cut a short section of heavy duty inner tube and popped the squeaky toy inside of it.
Now the test, set the ramps out, decide how far you want to travel up the ramps, set the squeaky toy down, ease forward, and hey ho, easily audible when it's run over. No more craning out of the window, or frantic arm waving for Mrs BBF. Works for me if not everyone, nice and light as well.
Mike.
You ought to send that into MMM magazine and see if you can win the letter of the month prize ... I did with a suggestion for a little stick on button on the toilet flush panel, along with a suitable ditty! :giggle:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I couldn't find ramps with a "Stop" at the top.
Having seen others drive off ramp and flown solo at TT last year I found it quite exciting using our Milenco Wedge XL.
So I've added a "Stop".
Bigger than needed but I had 25mm marine ply and 40mm screws so needed to double up. 3 screws fixing up through ramp and additional 2 down from top, angled. A little fettling to shape, I need to sharpen plough plane.

View attachment 722721 View attachment 722722

Did you think of using bolts - less likely to bend?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I changed a set of ramps with a constant slope for Milenco Quatros. They have wheel indents at 4 places along the ramp and I can feel the wheels "settling" into each place.
I still have the wife watch for me as well though if she hasn't gone off for a natter with the neighbours!

OP
OP
J

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
I changed a set of ramps with a constant slope for Milenco Quatros. They have wheel indents at 4 places along the ramp and I can feel the wheels "settling" into each place.
I still have the wife watch for me as well though if she hasn't gone off for a natter with the neighbours!
We had stepped ramps but of the 3 steps often none level enough.
An issue with pythagoras & 8m motorhome I'm presuming.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If I can't get it level enough with the Quatros I'll go park somewhere else!
I'm not a stickler - as long as I don't fall out of bed and the coffee mug stays on the table...............

OP
OP
J

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
If I can't get it level enough with the Quatros I'll go park somewhere else!
I'm not a stickler - as long as I don't fall out of bed and the coffee mug stays on the table...............
As longs as fridge works, works for me.
As newbie's we may have taken the need for level too literally.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

I had the same thought (the law of unintended consequences).

Ian

OP
OP
J

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
Not see them being used, why are scissor jacks not used on motorhome?
Used on caravans!
No emergency, quick getaway but how often is that really needed.

Electric Scissor Jack II.png Electric Scissor Jack.png

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nice fix.
We were sitting in Padstow harbour last year on a hot day, so grabbed a cornet. Our friends with us have a little dog. I noticed he kept tugging relentlessly at the lead driving the friends mad. I soon realised that the dogs attention had been attracted to a shop that sold all the usual beach stuff including squeaky toys which seemingly every passer by had to give test squeeze to. We were about 20 yards away, but could hear it, for the dog with it's hearing being much acuter it must have been torture.
It did get me thinking though, and Mrs BBF thought I was so kind when I went off and bought 3 of them, one of which I gave to the dog straight away, and he set about destroying it with a gusto. "Are you saving the rest for later" she asked, " no I said, their for me". Which had them all chuckling.
Once home the plan went into action. I cut a short section of heavy duty inner tube and popped the squeaky toy inside of it.
Mike.
Good idea I might trade the wife in !

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why do you "imagine" that?
Skipping the obvious, when parked how is a motothome so different to a caravan?
I'm not sure unless there were reinforced areas built in I'd be very keen to use jacks to level. Most caravans have a single axle that acts as a pivot the jacks just support the ends to make it overall level. Our motorhome has more or less a wheel on each corner the jack would have to physically lift the motorhome to make it level and at 3500kg all up I suspect it weighs more than almost all caravans.

OP
OP
J

Jez1966

Visiting Coventry
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Exp
Since 2021
I'm not sure unless there were reinforced areas built in I'd be very keen to use jacks to level. Most caravans have a single axle that acts as a pivot the jacks just support the ends to make it overall level. Our motorhome has more or less a wheel on each corner the jack would have to physically lift the motorhome to make it level and at 3500kg all up I suspect it weighs more than almost all caravans.
Most motorhomes are rail chassis so if it carries the motorhome in use it can support the same lifted up. Retro fitted hydraulic jacks are fixed to the same rails.
The jacks would not be lifting the whole motorhome, approx only 25% depending on internal weight distribution.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Used on caravans!

View attachment 723372 View attachment 723373
my Scissor jack is already electric, sort of. I have used the impact gun to wind the jack up, it has the 19mm nut built into the screw portion of the jack.
Mike.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I count the steps and so far on the very are occasions (3) that I have used them no issues, but screws going up is that a good idea with tyres going down I have been lead to believe tyres and screws dont get on too well ?

Such a simple clever solution why have all the manufactures thought of it 🤔 and add to the mould

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Why do you "imagine" that?
Skipping the obvious, when parked how is a motothome so different to a caravan?

Because caravans can be jacked at both ends.

Bottom line is that they have no lateral bracing, unlike bolted on steadies.

Ian

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Used on caravans!

View attachment 723372 View attachment 723373
You should level a caravan laterally with a ramp under the low side wheel and then you set the fore/aft level with the jockey wheel before finally winding down the steadies to support the corners, you should not use the jacks for levelling as the chassis is not designed for this purpose, likewise the corners of a motorhome are not structurally strong enough to be used for levelling, yes hydraulic levelling goes to the chassis but fairly inboard that would be difficult to get too with a scissor jack, and they would not be strong enough vs hydraulic.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You should level a caravan laterally with a ramp under the low side wheel and then you set the fore/aft level with the jockey wheel before finally winding down the steadies to support the corners, you should not use the jacks for levelling as the chassis is not designed for this purpose, likewise the corners of a motorhome are not structurally strong enough to be used for levelling, yes hydraulic levelling goes to the chassis but fairly inboard that would be difficult to get too with a scissor jack, and they would not be strong enough vs hydraulic.

I think that I prefer your response. 👍😎

Ian

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
I think the OP's solution is fab. The next level would be to 3D print add-ons for the common ramps - must go, off to register with Dragon's Den :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back