Rallies over 30 in number still illegal? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had an email yesterday from the MCC. Asking all their members to write to their MP. Its a good idea, maybe we should too.

Dear Fellow Club Member

The introduction of the lockdown measures as a response to the Covid 19 emergency stopped our main club activity of regular rallies and meets dead in its tracks in Mid-March.

Three months on we are now seeing a gradual easing of the restrictions. However, we have been unable to obtain any official advice on when our rallying activities may be able to restart.

There are many people out there who after cherry picking through the various and often contradictory Guidance Notes, are voicing opinions via social media etc. that we can hold rallies, others that we can’t.

If we were to hold a rally and get the situation wrong, we put our Exemption Certificate in jeopardy.

Without the Certificate, the Club cannot operate and would fold.

We cannot therefore do anything that endangers that certificate.

The clearance to hold a rally can only come from Government, whether this is the National Government for England, or the appropriate devolved Government for Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

We need to maintain and increase the pressure on Government to produce specific guidelines and a timetable to enable us as a club and for that matter other clubs to restart our rally programmes.

I ask therefore that you as individual members contact your appropriate Member of Parliament and/or Member of a devolved Government asking for clear guidelines and a timetable.

The suggested wording is below.

“Dear _____________

My name is ____________________ and my post code is ________________

I write to you as my Member of Parliament to ask you to seek clear guidance from the government on when I can resume my hobby of attending gatherings, in my motorhome, of friends and fellow members of The Motor Caravanners’ Club.

The opening up of Campsites is a step in the right direction, but as a club we hold rallies, which entails a number of motorhomes meeting in various locations, such as fields, sports clubs, school grounds etc.

It is these rallies I seek guidance on.

Thanking you in advance”

You can find details on who your representative is via a google search such as

“Who is my member of parliament” or equivalent for a devolved government.

With best wishes and my thanks for your support and help
Fellow Club Member]

The introduction of the lockdown measures as a response to the Covid 19 emergency stopped our main club activity of regular rallies and meets dead in its tracks in Mid-March.

Three months on we are now seeing a gradual easing of the restrictions. However, we have been unable to obtain any official advice on when our rallying activities may be able to restart.

There are many people out there who after cherry picking through the various and often contradictory Guidance Notes, are voicing opinions via social media etc. that we can hold rallies, others that we can’t.

If we were to hold a rally and get the situation wrong, we put our Exemption Certificate in jeopardy.

Without the Certificate, the Club cannot operate and would fold.

We cannot therefore do anything that endangers that certificate.

The clearance to hold a rally can only come from Government, whether this is the National Government for England, or the appropriate devolved Government for Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

We need to maintain and increase the pressure on Government to produce specific guidelines and a timetable to enable us as a club and for that matter other clubs to restart our rally programmes.

I ask therefore that you as individual members contact your appropriate Member of Parliament and/or Member of a devolved Government asking for clear guidelines and a timetable.

The suggested wording is below.

“Dear _____________

My name is ____________________ and my post code is ________________

I write to you as my Member of Parliament to ask you to seek clear guidance from the government on when I can resume my hobby of attending gatherings, in my motorhome, of friends and fellow members of The Motor Caravanners’ Club.

The opening up of Campsites is a step in the right direction, but as a club we hold rallies, which entails a number of motorhomes meeting in various locations, such as fields, sports clubs, school grounds etc.

It is these rallies I seek guidance on.

Thanking you in advance”

You can find details on who your representative is via a google search such as

“Who is my member of parliament” or equivalent for a devolved government.

With best wishes and my thanks for your support and help
[/QUOTE

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If they’re illegal Jim, how would you describe the meet currently taking place at Stratford Racecourse?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I had the same email yesterday re writing to your MP.
MCC are always belt and bracers plus a bit of string just in case. They are paranoid about losing their Exemption Certificate, and rightly so.

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had the same email yesterday re writing to your MP.

I wrote to mine, for what good it will do. But I don't think they will make such gatherings legal till the same time they allow concerts, sports events etc to happen.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Wrote to mine when we were stuck in Morocco. As much use as a chocolate fire guard, as was Jeremy Vine, and as for the British Consul in Rabat. (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Just use an A, B and C etc system of areas to camp, max of 30 vans in each use a bit if white tape to define area one way in one way out and appoint a site *captain* for each separate gathering, problem solved , or is that too easy?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just use an A, B and C etc system of areas to camp, max of 30 vans in each use a bit if white tape to define area one way in one way out and appoint a site *captain* for each separate gathering, problem solved , or is that too easy?

AFAIK Stratford is being run like a campsite, you book a pitch as an individual and turn up.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wrote to mine when we were stuck in Morocco. As much use as a chocolate fire guard, as was Jeremy Vine.

Yes just reading that in Simon;s Morrocco Good Idea at the time mag article :D

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
AFAIK Stratford is being run like a campsite, you book a pitch as an individual and turn up.
Down to the organisers then, is it a corporate event and who would carry the can I wonder if prosecuted?

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
I wrote to mine, for what good it will do. But I don't think they will make such gatherings legal till the same time they allow concerts, sports events etc to happen.

well, they're allowing outdoor theatre to go ahead, so.............
(the minack in cornwall)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Down to the organisers then, is it a corporate event and who would carry the can I wonder if prosecuted?

If everyone were issued a BLM banner to raise if the police turn up they will of course allow the illegal gathering (y)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
It only takes one jobsworth or a house owner whose property backs on to the racecourse, to put the mokkers on the proceedings.

Deleted User
Writing to your MP could have a negative impact. If a lot of people do this then the government may have concerns that there could be a large number of gatherings all over the country.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It only takes one jobsworth or a house owner whose property backs on to the racecourse, to put the mokkers on the proceedings.

One of the guys who lives in the flats that overlook the racecourse hates motorhomers. That's on account of haganap 's singing :D

I sent the organisers of the event a link to the official guidance/law on gatherings of more than 30. But as we are all aware, much of the guidance is clear as mud and open to interpretation. Clearly the racecourse and the organisers interpret it to be OK.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think the issue has to do with a perception that the vast majority of those attending such events, will be of the same "mentality" as those who crowded Bournemouth beach a few weekends ago?. I`m waiting for the spike that is likely following the opening of pubs and restaurants. Especially where the "modern parenting" philosophy of allowing the kids (super spreaders) to run riot in public places is concerned.

At the moment, I am more that happy with the compromise of using quiet 5 van sites, just for the break from the same vista day in and out.

If everyone were issued a BLM banner to raise if the police turn up they will of course allow the illegal gathering (y)
Cynical, but IMV, more truth than is good for the upholding of the rule of law. I am of the opinion, that a good lawyer could drive a very large R-V through the loophole(s) in the current rulings.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Everyone threw up their hands about the beach photos and the various other gatherings but many weeks on where are the spikes? Mostly in meat processing plants. This is not behaving as they thought it would IMHO

The lack of spike is really encouraging. That meat packaging outbreak was more to do with cramped shared accommodation and transport into work than meat.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
And the most plausible, These lads, mostly from Poland live in cramped shared accommodation around these slaughter houses if one gets it they are all getting it.
I've been to rowan foods in Wrexham many times, its not a slaughterhouse, its a modern processing factory with locals there as well. Its also in Wales that locked down for longer.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
There's more than 30 units on this campsite, are we alleged to be a gathering?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Good idea, but don't tell plod it means Brits Love Motorhoming. :LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had an email yesterday from the MCC. Asking all their members to write to their MP. Its a good idea, maybe we should too.
I don't think we should ask. Campsites are allowed to open and a rally is just a temporary campsite. I don't know what, or even if, guidance has been issued to campsites but if any has, covering distances between pitches or outfits etc, that's all that needs to be followed. I'm staying at a site tomorrow and if I get the opportunity I'll ask them if they've received anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back