Radio aerial that actually works (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
We have a Fiat Laika 7.1G motorhome with radio reception close to zero, so, I changed the aerial no good, changed the radio for the latest with all the bells whistles and gizmos I don't really want but being told that cheap radios have cheap technology and reception bumf I bit the bullet. Bugger , now my shillings out of pocket and still next to zero reception. Then I remembered I bought this for the tele in a hope to have tv without putting out the sat.

https://www.trendytechmedia.com/shop/hometech.html

Nothing ventured nothing gained so I took out the radio from the dash again, have to be careful these days, done it that many times in the past if I whistle the soddin thing jumps out on its own. The TV Radius Antenna is actually designed for TV reception but minor modifications to the connectors the aerial is mounted on the front screen ... and .... I not only have numerous radio stations, but, I also have all the info for the radio station and who is singing the present catawailing song. I can now declare to all the world that the song "X" screeched by "Y" is ruddy rubbish. Near 36 euros were prized out of my high security wallet for this purchase but I think it was very well spent.

When you see me on the road now, and my lips are moving, I may actually be singing along and not just cursing the latest road behavior of the other idiots with whom I share the road.

Phil

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear you did get what you wished for. Now you can listen to all the Christmas rubbish as well. Merry Christmas .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have virtually given up on our radio, although some days it works perfectly

we now 'stream' I think that's the right word, Radio 2 on Bev's ipad and play it through blue tooth speakers, even when abroad

I was worried we would gobble up data, but it hardly seems to take any (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm surprised to hear to uses practically no data, I'd thought it would use a fair bit.
I'll try it when out next :xThumb:

then you can let me know how much we really use :)(y)

we load prepaid 8Gb cards on to Bev's ipad that usually run out of time before data even at 12 months (y) but we don't really monitor consumption very carefully

anyway Bev pays for those so not really my worry :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I really cannot understand why there is apparently so much difficulty in receiving a good radio signal on what are virtually identical vehicles. Or is it that we only hear about the ones with problems?

Mine has always worked perfectly, on the original (Blaupunct) equipment with the standard aerial and now an all singin' all dancin' DAB unit with just the addition of a dedicated windscreen mounted DAB aerial. Where there is no DAB signal, and despite the BBC saying there aren't any dead spots there's a couple on our normal trips, the FM cuts in loud and clear.

Well except around Cambridge but that's happened on every vehicle I've driven through that area.:xgrin:

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
@TerryL I'm with you, the same radio mounted in either of the cars works wonders but in the MH "zilch". I have also added an on/off switch to the rear view cameras as on some frequencies there is interference. In the MH I've tried screen mounted electric aerials, bonnet/wing mounted aerials, even mounted an aerial on a metal base about the size of a car bonnet, put it to the side of the MH and still "nowt", but this little beasty seems to work, it's all dark magic to me. Could it be anything to do with the window screen?

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Mines rubbish if I try to use the USB charger at the same time. Both are taken from the same radio power supply.
I have to unplug the USB's. to stand any chance of a reception.

WP_20180708_13_46_32_Rich.jpg

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Once again, "cheap and nasty" Chinese satnav, radio is brilliant (but I only listen to radio 4, no Sir Cliff) satnav is the best I've had, Sygic truck IGO and one or two others all loaded. £200 the lot.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We did have an interference problem once, which was quickly identified as being caused by the netbook charger being plugged into the dash socket. Shortly after it "expired" (the charger) so I bought a good quality one, no more problems.

To anyone having reception problems, try experimenting with anything electrical you've got switched on, even "standard" fittings. I'm no 'leccie but I've proved poor connections etc. can play the very devil with radio reception. On my first car the dynamo (remember them?) had to be fitted with some kind of filter (suppressor?) for my very first car radio.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
WELL
Our radio is fine but we changed it for a single din with 7" SatNav and Bluetooth built in just £99 from Ebay

So now we have
A good radio
A good Sat Nav working through the speakers so no need to actually look at it (Legal in Spain )
Hands free phone system
Bluetooth music selection from phone
USB stick access so I have 8GB of music to randomly listen to

AND the antennae is fine we actually get good reception in places the car radio in Steph's car doesn't and it is still the original in the nearside wing mirror antennae

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Never found the Hymer fitted aerial on mine, Travelworld told me it was strictly confidential information, so stuff them for anything in the future. It seems to be with the TV aerial which NEVER worked if you stood up in the living area, somebody said it might be the frame of the opening skylight. I bought a satfi and that is as reliable as the first aerial, UK only it is dodgy to pick anything off Astra2 but it worked in Holland and Belgium which it wasn't meant to??? as they are out of footprint Northern France fine as well. Dover ? no chance needs 3 tunes to get anything.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a Clarion stereo with DAB & satnav connected to the standard Hymer aerial, works a treat TV reception good as well. Single whip aerial on the roof with amplifiers for FM, dab & TV also built in GPS receiver for the satnav.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back