Question for the Battery Experts (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
My Hymer has the batteries in an outside locker with the EBL in it which is basically connected to the whole of the underfloor compartments. The batteries do not have breather pipes. I have just fitted a third battery and have now fitted a single breather pipe connected with tee joints to all batteries so just one hole through the floor. Do batteries mind sharing their breathers? Does the diameter of the tube matter? I have used 5mm pipe I had to hand used for a greenhouse watering system. The tee connectors have about 3mm internal diameter.
Before anybody says yes I know that the EBL is only supposed to charge two batteries but living in the sun and having 300 watt of solar I am rarely, if ever on hookup. Probably only a few days a year usually when visiting Blighty and standing still for a few days.
Thanks for any comments.
Steve

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If they are in an outside locker with some ventilation they most likely don't really need the breather, what batteries are they as anything other than flooded and unsealed lead acid would only vent if something was wrong with them, I would guess they are AGM if standard later Hymer or GEL on earlier models.

And just to add I can't see a problem with them sharing a common vent.

Martin

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There is no problem whatsoever with them sharing the same vent. Doing as you have is a wise move because some acidic vapour is carried through the vent & it's best out rather than in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks both, they are sealed flooded Varta batteries. OK gasses may escape but in an area where a spark is possible I would rather make sure the hydrogen is outside. Just wasn't sure if they could contaminate each other.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back