Quad LNB Question? (Costa Blanca - Spain) (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hello!,

May sound like a daft question this, here goes.

I have just managed to get a great deal on a new HUMAX FreeSat Box with 500GB Record, pause and rewind function.

But the dish (about 90cm from Memory) only has a a single LNB.

Two Questions;

A: Is it the same type of LNB for Spain as it is the UK?
B: Which is the best LNB to buy?

The reason why I ask about Quad, rather than twin is that I may put reception in other rooms.

TM

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A. Yes lnb are the same
B. Go with as low a dB noise figure for a sensible price.

You need 2 feeds to the Humax. This allows recording while you can watch another channel. However if you use it with a single lnb you can only watch and record the one channel. So a quad is a good way to go and more common nowdays.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hello!,

May sound like a daft question this, here goes.

I have just managed to get a great deal on a new HUMAX FreeSat Box with 500GB Record, pause and rewind function.

But the dish (about 90cm from Memory) only has a a single LNB.

Two Questions;

A: Is it the same type of LNB for Spain as it is the UK?
B: Which is the best LNB to buy?

The reason why I ask about Quad, rather than twin is that I may put reception in other rooms.

TM

Universal LNBs are the same in every country.
In the UK Sky use Sky LNBs, which are designed for the sky minidishes, and not very good performers.
But you can get other LNBs in the UK anyway.

I use the GI range of twin and quads...find them to pull in more signals than any other LNB i have used.
(for example, I was in Javea a few days ago, on an 85cm dish, and tried a few LNBs and the best performer was a GI. Pulled in more db and signals and channels than the other three LNBs I tried - that I have collected when replacing them on other dishes. The only channel it did not pull in was ITV HDs...OK all others were right on the limit for some channels, but they still came in.)

The Inverto Ultra Black single used to be a good model. The twin and quad versions were very cra poor in comparison.

And some 0.1 rated LNBs perform worse than some 0.2 LNBs, so the lowest noise rating may not always be the best!

You need 2 feeds to the Humax. This allows recording while you can watch another channel. However if you use it with a single lnb you can only watch and record the one channel.
...unless the two channels are on the same frequency group (VL, Vh, HL, HH), in which case it will do two channels at a time...if i remember correctly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
...unless the two channels are on the same frequency group (VL, Vh, HL, HH), in which case it will do two channels at a time...if i remember correctly.

Yes, you are correct... Just didn't want to take it that far and keep the answer simple. (y)

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Universal LNBs are the same in every country.
In the UK Sky use Sky LNBs, which are designed for the sky minidishes, and not very good performers.
But you can get other LNBs in the UK anyway.

I use the GI range of twin and quads...find them to pull in more signals than any other LNB i have used.
(for example, I was in Javea a few days ago, on an 85cm dish, and tried a few LNBs and the best performer was a GI. Pulled in more db and signals and channels than the other three LNBs I tried - that I have collected when replacing them on other dishes. The only channel it did not pull in was ITV HDs...OK all others were right on the limit for some channels, but they still came in.)

The Inverto Ultra Black single used to be a good model. The twin and quad versions were very cra poor in comparison.

And some 0.1 rated LNBs perform worse than some 0.2 LNBs, so the lowest noise rating may not always be the best!

Thank you.

Can you remember what size our dish is ?

Autotrail1

Free Member
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Fiat autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi guys I think you will struggle with a 90cm dish in Spain for Astra 28.2 east will need to be bigger I'm sure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi guys I think you will struggle with a 90cm dish in Spain for Astra 28.2 east will need to be bigger I'm sure

An 85cm dish works fine with Astra 2 in Spain, especially for the Euro beam.
But the channels on the UK beam required dish sizes vary from 85cm to 5m, depending where you are in Spain.

Do difficult to just generalize like "a 90cm dish will not work!"

Information on there is several years out of date...it mentions about 1N, which was a temporarily in 28.2 east, and moved away in Feb 2014. This also means most of the dish size requirements on that page are also now old and inaccurate
It also says "The best Sky Digibox's for good reception in the Costa Blanca area are the Thomson 4214 or Pace DS430N"...which was never the case, the Pace 2600 was the best!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back