PVC Prices!! (1 Viewer)

Given choice and the right layout within my budget my next van would ideally be

• A full PVC style Motorhome

Votes: 101 51.3%
  • A smaller campervan T5 or similar size

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • A coachbuilt either high or lowline (non tag axle)

Votes: 30 15.2%
  • An A class standard size (non tag axle)

Votes: 48 24.4%
  • A larger A or C class motothome (either tag or twin rear wheel)

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • A super liner style coach like mega vehicle

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When PVCs went over 40K many years back I laughed and said "40K for a panel van!!!!" I ate my words and bought a Globecar Campscout Revolution PVC and 6 years on Im still happy with the decision. Having said that the Revolution is as tall and long as many coachbuilts and larger than some.
Looking now at the prices of PVCs I see them at £80K plus and once again Im in disbelief. There are a lot of benefits with a PVC and moving from a tag axle Frankia my change was quite a big jump.
Having a look around at the current offerings on the market I can see that there are no extra high Fiats being built and some converters have moved to the less suitable Merc to fill the gap. I say less suitable because of the body shape and width narrowing with height meaning layouts are sometimes compromised. Plus I still see 2 year old Mercs rusting!
Im not thinking of changing but if I did I would struggle to find a van with the swiss army like versatiliy that the Revolution has. There has not been many game changing changes in PVCs over the last 6 years. The only 2 changes like are the new real auto box and the LCD dash in the ducato.

A higher percentage of PVCs vs coachbuilts are on the road now. What would your next van be?

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
When PVCs went over 40K many years back I laughed and said "40K for a panel van!!!!" I ate my words and bought a Globecar Campscout Revolution PVC and 6 years on Im still happy with the decision. Having said that the Revolution is as tall and long as many coachbuilts and larger than some.
Looking now at the prices of PVCs I see them at £80K plus and once again Im in disbelief. There are a lot of benefits with a PVC and moving from a tag axle Frankia my change was quite a big jump.
Having a look around at the current offerings on the market I can see that there are no extra high Fiats being built and some converters have moved to the less suitable Merc to fill the gap. I say less suitable because of the body shape and width narrowing with height meaning layouts are sometimes compromised. Plus I still see 2 year old Mercs rusting!
Im not thinking of changing but if I did I would struggle to find a van with the swiss army like versatiliy that the Revolution has. There has not been many game changing changes in PVCs over the last 6 years. The only 2 changes like are the new real auto box and the LCD dash in the ducato.

A higher percentage of PVCs vs coachbuilts are on the road now. What would your next van be?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a funster friend that has placed an order at the NEC for a new PVC and the cost is £90k+!
Would I pay that? - yes if I had the budget. My PVC is nearly 10 years old and I wouldn’t go back to a coachbuilt Motorhome. I had 4 before getting my current van!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have no intention changing our panel van, but this being our second one, 😉 it would be another panel van without a doubt. 😎
We have had C class and A class, and for us Panel Van's are prefect for us. 👍😁 Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I’ve been looking at the ducato high roof long wheelbase PVC options but there is very little about . I struggle to get my head around the £80k plus asking prices. ! So I will stay with what I have for now .

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I am reasonably contented with the 2007 Ducato X250 I have at the moment (mainly because it's Euro 4 but is one of the rare beasts that were originally built without Cat or DPF) and I have already improved any suspect parts (such as fitting a stainless steel exhaust, shocks, engine cover etc).

IF I was going to exchange it, (which I'm not at today's ridiculous prices) it would probably be for a MAN PVC and do the same with that.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Very happy with my PVC. It's the smallest vehicle that performs the tasks I want of it. And so far damp free. Having had bad experience with caravan damp (including a new roof, front and back at 2 years old), I was keen to avoid any such issues going forward.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a smaller A Class on order a Carthago Compactline. Hardly any bigger than a PVC but so much more space & storage & a double floor also so much better insulation.
Our last van was our first A Class we wouldn't have any other type of van now.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Very happy with my PVC. It's the smallest vehicle that performs the tasks I want of it. And so far damp free. Having had bad experience with caravan damp (including a new roof, front and back at 2 years old), I was keen to avoid any such issues going forward.

This, I think, is why the PVC has become so popular, most do not have a damp problem, and if they do, it is usually where converters have put holes in the roof to fit skylights etc.

This may not be ideal BUT if one chooses a model without too many roof holes, (especially the one over the drivers seat) one has a rough idea where to start looking on those VERY rare occasions.

With a coach-built, it could be anywhere along the joints & seams?

PS. The only improvement I would have liked to give mine but couldn't, because of the amount of structural hassle involved, was a double floor!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Never really got the PVC thing. Brother has one but it's just got too many compromises compared to our 7.5 low profile coachbuilt.
The things that would bug me:

Having to make up a sort of bed from cushions and some scaffold tubes
A shower that you also have to do No. 2's in
A kitchen that blocks the doorway
Headroom that is only fit for smallys
Having to use 2 bays to park it anyway
Poor insulation
No real dining area
No easy way to carry anything
Small gas cabinet
Small water tank
Small sinks
Small cooker
Small fridge/freezer box
The feeling the whole van would blow over if a satellite dish was erected
Nowhere sensible for the telly
and other things..

But the real show stopper would be

Nobody waving at me when I'm plodding along :(

Oh.. and the tutting when it woosh bangs :ROFLMAO:

Aug 6, 2020
North Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2014
Never really got the PVC thing. Brother has one but it's just got too many compromises compared to our 7.5 low profile coachbuilt.

Poor insulation
No real dining area
Small gas cabinet
Small water tank
Small sinks
Small cooker
Small fridge/freezer box
and other things..

Downsizing from a 7.36m Rapido 866 A Class to a V68 (if/when it arrives 😡) -
Like the 866F the V68 fixed lengthways singles/double bed
Loo not an issue for us - has a swing wall similar to some coachbuilt (even some A Classes)
Kitchen - I’m the cook so no issue for us
I’m 5’8” so guess I’m a smally 😂
Parking - possibly, but guess it’ll be easier when parking in town in a lengthways space (OK slightly longer than a normal car space but more do-able than before)
Insulation - could be an issue in winter, we will see if missus needs an extra fleece 😮
Still have seats and table to dine on - plenty space for the 2 of us
We carried way too much before 😮😂
Still fits 2 gas bottles
100l water - only slightly less than our A class did
Similar sized to the A Class
2 ring hob enough - never used the 3rd burner in the A Class and oven/grill is fine, I never made Sunday roast away
Fridge freezer as big as the A Class had near enough (tall slimline)
Not bothering with a satellite this time - sticking with aerial and Wi-Fi thingymajig
TV in ‘normal’ van spot above the rear bench seats
Yes might miss the ‘waves’ but surprising how many coachbuilts occupants never wave back ☹️
Looking forward to parking right next to you to try the ‘Whoosh Bang’ technique 🤣😉

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We downsized to a PVC and liked it but eventually found it too small with our GSD blocking the floor space whenever she lay down so we went back to a coachbuilt.

Our current Swift Escape Compact is about the same width as a PVC but, with its vertical walls feels wider inside.

Because we have, finally, settled on the interior layout that really works for us we have no desire to change but, if we did, we would have to think twice about a PVC at present prices.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We owned a PVC 2 vans ago. At the time it felt a bit small but we had just downsized from an N B flair.
Would we get another one ? Yes I think so.
At the moment we are extremely happy with our current C class Burstner it680g, it ticks all the boxes.
Phil

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
😜 I think coach built and a class are well over priced, considering they bring a chassis in, put a bit of ply wood on it and stand all the pre made furniture on it, and stick the pre formed panels on. 🤔
You have to remember the amount of man power is very high compared with a couple of tradesmen in a panel van . 😁 :reel::rofl:
😎 Bob.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Youngest daughter got a cracking deal on High roof LWB Ducati during lockdown , new spec with their own extras £27K inc VAT, now £40K 😳

Interior built to their own spec (wouldn’t suit us🤔) spent £15K converting so £42K spent , would be £55K at new van price but they are very pleased with themselves 👍

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We take delivery of our IH N 680 RL in March 24 , we’ve budgeted for a max of £120K , I’ve battered the options list , currently own a 8 metre coachbuilt .
Looking forward to handover day as it will be my wife’s birthday and retirement day .

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Having a look around at the current offerings on the market I can see that there are no extra high Fiats being built
When we changed motorhomes 18 months ago we really wanted a PVC.
However, being 6'-2" I couldn't find one that had sufficient head height and a long enough bed.
We purchased a "Compact" coachbuilt which is only 70mm wider than a PVC (actually the same width if you include the mirrors).
Have been very happy with it so far and it feels a lot bigger inside than a PVC due to the square profile and slightly longer length.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
WRONG WRONG WRONG

A shower that you also have to do No. 2's in ...............Not in my PVC
A kitchen that blocks the doorway ...........Still as wide as coachbuilt door in my PVC
Headroom that is only fit for smallys.......... Not in my PVC
Having to use 2 bays to park it anyway.............. Most bays will take a PVC
Poor insulation.................. Not as good but smaller space heats up faster
No real dining area............... There is in my PVC
No easy way to carry anything.............. Rear electric bed with space for a euro pallet under with 1500kg payload in my PVC
Small gas cabinet............ Full size to take 2 bottles. but now have underslung gas tank on my PVC
Small water tank............... Same size as many coachbuilts on my PVC
Small sinks............... Same size kitchen sink in my PVC
Small cooker............ 2 burner but could fit 3 or 4
Small fridge/freezer box............ Full height fridge freezer in my PVC
The feeling the whole van would blow over if a satellite dish was erected............My PVC is 4500kg payload with full air suspension.
Nowhere sensible for the telly........ Lots of places but have a 13" Tablet so watch telly anywhere
and other things.. Other things that are better, no leaky joints, easier to get up narrow lanes, more aerodynamic, not limited to colours etc

Nobody waving at me when I'm plodding along..... Still get waves in my PVC
Oh.. and the tutting when it woosh bangs WRONG again.... ours has electric close so quieter than slamming a swing trap your fingers door

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When we changed motorhomes 18 months ago we really wanted a PVC.
However, being 6'-2" I couldn't find one that had sufficient head height and a long enough bed.
We purchased a "Compact" coachbuilt which is only 70mm wider than a PVC (actually the same width if you include the mirrors).
Have been very happy with it so far and it feels a lot bigger inside than a PVC due to the square profile and slightly longer length.
Our bed is larger than ours at home and the height is the same as our old Frankia inside.
Dont think Fiat are currently producing the extra high extra long wheelbase for Europe. Its a shame as even though Im not tall I eould find the lower height vans claustrophobic, plus you get bigger high level lockers in them.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Poor insulation
No real dining area
Small gas cabinet
Small water tank
Small sinks
Small cooker
Small fridge/freezer box
and other things..

I drop the table so there's no scaffolding
I do no 2's in the fitted toilet not the shower
Only if I dont want people to come in
5'2" no issues
If you cant park it dont buy it never used 2 bays
Poor insulation
I'm of a certain age I have mine own
No real dining area
U shaped lounge see scaffolding comment
Only had an issue with huge chairs found one that fits in the overhead locker
Small gas cabinet
Yes it blooming tiny but does hold 2 gas bottles
Small water tank
Dont wash
Small sinks
See above but relate to dishes, I even have a bowl in mine to save water
Small cooker
Four gas rings and an oven and grill
Small fridge/freezer box
Fridge not that much smaller than the one I have at home and yes the freezer is small but OK for ice cubes and ice cream

And the best bit of all a whoosh-bang door :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We had hoped to trade to a newer PVC every 3-5 years, but that’s gone out of the window with these prices as the gap has widened too. So luckily we love our van so will keep it for much much longer. That’s the benefit of a PVC IMHO as they are less likely to have damp issues. (Having owned 3 new caravans in the past they all have!)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Downsizing from a 7.36m Rapido 866 A Class to a V68 (if/when it arrives 😡) -
Like the 866F the V68 fixed lengthways singles/double bed
Loo not an issue for us - has a swing wall similar to some coachbuilt (even some A Classes)
Kitchen - I’m the cook so no issue for us
I’m 5’8” so guess I’m a smally 😂
Parking - possibly, but guess it’ll be easier when parking in town in a lengthways space (OK slightly longer than a normal car space but more do-able than before)
Insulation - could be an issue in winter, we will see if missus needs an extra fleece 😮
Still have seats and table to dine on - plenty space for the 2 of us
We carried way too much before 😮😂
Still fits 2 gas bottles
100l water - only slightly less than our A class did
Similar sized to the A Class
2 ring hob enough - never used the 3rd burner in the A Class and oven/grill is fine, I never made Sunday roast away
Fridge freezer as big as the A Class had near enough (tall slimline)
Not bothering with a satellite this time - sticking with aerial and Wi-Fi thingymajig
TV in ‘normal’ van spot above the rear bench seats
Yes might miss the ‘waves’ but surprising how many coachbuilts occupants never wave back ☹️
Looking forward to parking right next to you to try the ‘Whoosh Bang’ technique 🤣😉
Just seen this must be a Welsh thing great minds and all that (y)(y)(y)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If you cant park it dont buy it never used 2 bays
No matter how hard I tried there's no way my 7.5m van would fit in a standard 5.0m long parking bay so always look out for back to back bays. Can't see how a 5.4m+ PVC would be made to fit either. Width isn't a problem although I do tend to aim for end bays as a part of the exit strategy

May 9, 2011
Cheshire / Vale De Parra
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
Just taken delivery of a Rapido V55, downsizing from an N+B Arto tag axle, only had two nights away in it, so can’t really comment yet, it as a separate shower and toilet and a fixed bed, heading to Portugal next week, hopefully get to places I sometimes struggled with a 8.8m Motorhome.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Being what i call a casual Mhomer i don't see us ever needing to do the comparison's as when we are done with this one we will probably stop the Mhomeing anyway.
But some of the PVC vans today look amasing, i would if we were but we ain't so i'm not looking 🤷‍♂️

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
😜 I think coach built and a class are well over priced, considering they bring a chassis in, put a bit of ply wood on it and stand all the pre made furniture on it, and stick the pre formed panels on. 🤔
You have to remember the amount of man power is very high compared with a couple of tradesmen in a panel van . 😁 :reel::rofl:
😎 Bob.
Not sure how that differs much from a coach built? One comes with a rigid integral box and the other has the box added with all the inherent problems that presents. Thereafter it’s the same process.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I love my little PVC. whoosh bang & all
Fixed bed, pretty well insulated etc
Does your bathroom at home not have a toilet?

When I was first specifying my van, I thought I wanted bigger fridge freezer and that just 2 burners wouldn't be enough but I realised that most of the food I put into the fridge at the beginning of a trip, I took out at the end. And actually I barely use one burner let alone two. YMMV of course.
So for me, the 6m was/is perfect. 100litre water and underslung lpg.
Current new price £74k = bargain ::bigsmile:

However, the dreaded damp has been discovered at the rear skylight 😥.
Going next week for it to be sorted... but the worst case scenario cost isn't too wallet emptying
[The best might be as little as the cost of the habitation check which found it!]

So, proof positive, damp can happen in a PVC.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Entry level PVCs such as the Rimor Horus range start at £55K OTR before optional extras. That price point was just under £30k not very long ago.

Replacing our Rapido Van with something slightly bigger and retaining the same quality and options would be north of £90k (and rising). We will have to keep ours, possibly until it falls to bits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back